snowhound

1987 416-8 safety switches

snowhound

My son's dog managed to disconnect the wiring from the PTO safety switches and break the wire from the solenoid to the ignition switch while trying to get a chipmunk that had taken refuge in the tractor.  I have the wiring diagram and have been able to get the tractor running again but can't get the seat switch to work.  I've checked all switches with a continuity meter and all are working and all the wires to the seat switch are good.  I admit I'm not sure if I have the wires for the switches going to the right switches by that I mean there are two switches and I may not have the right wires on the right switches but if I have the PTO engaged the tractor won't start.  Any ideas why the seat switch doesn't work.

Snowhound

PS  the chipmunk got away

• Sad 1

BOB ELLISON

Some of the switchs are  normally on and some are normally off. Its not suppose to start with the PTO engaged. If you have the switch that goes inside the seat cushion I replaced mine also there about $35.00 to $45.00.

Here's some diagrams to help

The wires are color coded in the wiring diagrams. 

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 1

BOB ELLISON

After looking at the diagram your seat switch is not the one that's goes into the seat cushion. It's a 112418 and there still available. They can be checked with a ohmmeter. 

• Like 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, snowhound said:

if I have the PTO engaged the tractor won't start.

That is correct, should only start with PTO off. 

snowhound

Thanks for all the replies, I have checked all the switches involved with ohmmeter and all are good but it doesn't shut off when the PTO is engaged and the seat is lifted.

gwest_ca

See if the black wire to the seat switch is grounded to the chassis. It should be. You have magneto ignition so the ignition wire from the engine needs to be grounded to stop the engine and the seat switch should do it with the pto ON.

Garry

• Like 1

snowhound

Thanks Garry everything else checks out I will check that tomorrow.

Ed