Jerzguy2

417A-II

Jerzguy2

Had mower stored in a open but covered garage all winter. Started right up this summer but ran terrible, backfiring and rough. Put new plugs, new treated gas and gas line filter. Still very little improvement after running really well last year. It continued to backfire and would only stay running with choke pulled out part way and continued to backfire. It sat for a couple of weeks, started right up and ran better than ever, idle, part throttle , and full throttle. I thought it was a new motor. Mower was now outside and triple cover to keep dry. We had several inches of rain last week and today I uncovered it and had a very difficult time starting and it only ran half throttle and rough, wanting to stall every couple of minutes. After 1/2 hour of missing, running rough, it started to improve and finally ran perfect again. I'm thinking a moisture issue, but have no idea where to start, other than replacing the wires. Is this motor prone to issues? I thought this would be my go to horse, but now having second thoughts.  Thanks in advance for help.

• Sad 1

wfrpalm

Water in gas is my guess.

• Like 2

953 nut

A little Seafoam in the fuel will probably help. Also cleaning the ignition points would be a good idea.

• Like 1

slammer302

I've had two 417's one would barely run after getting wet and the other wouldn't run unless i took the points cover off and dried it out.

Jerzguy2

Gas is good and I used the Seafoam last year when I thought there was moisture in gas or carb was gunky, and it worked wonders. I really believe it did wonders. Since I just got this tractor 2 years ago, I'm still learning. I had a 1965 10 horse growing up, and it always started right up and always ran flawlessly. I'm just wondering if this 2 cylinder 417 is just gonna be a gas guzzling PITA. I'll look into cleaning or changing the points. Thanks

• Like 1

c-series don

I have a 417-A with over 1000 hrs on it. I have a 44" blower on it that stays on year round. I use a concoction of seafoam,fuel stabilizer, and marvel mystery oil when I store any of my tractors. The 417 always starts. I have from time to time filed the points just for general maintenance. Probably just jinxed myself by saying it always starts 😳

• Like 2

pfrederi

The points cover can trap condensation. After it gets thoroughly warmed up it dries out and will run better.   Take it off and make sure it is dry and that the rubber gasket around the wires is properly seated and in good shape.

If yo really do not like KT -17 I will take it off your hands:P  I have 3 and love them.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Jerzguy2

OK, thanks for the advice on the points and points cover, I'll check that out and see how the points are while I have it open. Like I said, this was quite a nice tractor and it mows beautifully when running right and I hoped to put plow on if it will run right for winter.  

• Like 1