littleredrider

Kohler carb issues

littleredrider

So I bought an 854 couple weeks ago and seller told me had some carb issues. Get it home, put some 93 and some seafoam, and tried to drive it around. Seems like it’s just dumping fuel in the motor. It will start and idle for 15-20 seconds, then sounds like it’s laboring then spits n sputters then stalls, then spits out a lot of fuel from carb. Carb “appears” clean, I pulled the bowl and jets and looks Ok. I adjusted float so that it would close at a lower level, and did nothing. To me its like it has a fuel pump for a supercharged motor, just pushing way too much. PO took sediment bowl off, has new fuel line, filter and shut off valve. Gas tank outlet is higher than carb I think so not sure why there is even a pump, but gonna bypass it and see what happens. 

Edited by littleredrider
  • Sad 1

rmaynard

Sure sounds like it's flooding to me. I had a similar issue with a brand new Honda carburetor that I put on my push mower. Ran great for 10 minutes, so I thought it was fixed. Came back 3 days later to cut the grass, and all of the gas had run out of the tank. I took the float valve out and cleaned it. If I held the float up by hand, it would stop the flow of gas, but allowing the float to rise on its own, it would not completely seal the gas from entering the bowl. New replacement carburetor fixed it.

Bottom line...I think you still have a flooding condition caused by a bad float valve. The 854 should have an early K-181 with a vacuum operated pump, which I have found is not a powerful as a mechanical pump. 

• Like 1

littleredrider

Where’s best place to get a kit from? What aboot new carb? 

ri702bill

All:

A couple of things come to mind -

Check the condition of the tip of the needle where it shuts off on the seat. Some aftermarket carb kits have a solid brass needle - the original Kohler uses a soft Viton tip. The needle needs to seal tight - if it has varnish buildup or the sealing area is visibly damaged, change it.

I have also experienced  the problem with a small hole or crack in the brass float - it works fine at startup but gets fuel logged as you go and the needle cannot rise to shut off the fuel.

Bill

• Like 1

pacer

Gotta be flooding ---- two things will cause it, the 'needle & seat' or the float. The float may have a leak and fill with fuel, hold it close to your ear and shake it. I once bought a new needle and it was bad! Have had several bad floats...

• Like 1

littleredrider

If I get a chance I’ll pull the carb. Just found out have to work tomorrow, which screws everything up. I’m sure it’s something simple....sucks if I need parts, stores will be closed early tomorrow and closed by the time I get done during the week. 

953 nut
4 hours ago, littleredrider said:

It will start and idle for 15-20 seconds, then sounds like it’s laboring then spits n sputters then stalls,

I know it sounds like a carb problem, but just for grins I would try cleaning the points and replace the plug. Could be you don't have enough spark to do the job and the engine expels some unburned fuel when it quits and counter rotates because it isn't spinning fast enough to go past compression.

2 hours ago, littleredrider said:

What aboot new carb?

The $ 20 clones on Ebay are good, lots of folks on here use them, myself included.

• Like 2

littleredrider

PO put new plug n points in it but I will double check. Also when it labors it starts to have black smoke, Which makes me think it’s flooding out.

squonk

I have seen needles that look fine but don't seal. Or the seat was never changed because a PO didn't have the right tool to change it. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Fordiesel69

Dont rule out a leaky intake valve,  Sometimes the seats leak and cuase backpressure to spit out the carb,