ohiostate454

New to me horses(141 & 656)

ohiostate454

So I have never owned a wheel horse before. Grandfather got me into tractors and he has economies and the first tractor I bought when I bought my house was a Bolens. However my father was able to stumble upon a deal for some from one of his friends. I got a C141 for 10$ no front steering arms and no motor. I am thinking I will find a 14hp kolher restore this and keep it for my self. I am curious is there a sleeve hitch for this tractor for a plow disc etc? I also was able to get a 656 with a bad HH60 complete with deck in decent shape for 50 bucks and a cub cadet 1450 for 50 which is going to be my father in laws Christmas gift. The 656 is way to small for me so I plan on rebuilding it and selling it. I am trying to decide if I would have better luck selling it if it is restored to new condition? Also what are these worth roughly in running mowing condition? I will post up pictures when I get them from my parents house in the next couple of weeks. Also if anyone as pictures of the steering linkage setup on a C-141 that would be great. It is missing the tie rods and I am thinking I will probably make some new ones from scratch for it out of 1/2" tool steel from our shop and drill and tap the ends to thread it all together. If anyone can point me in the direction of some manuals that would be great as well. 

KC9KAS

@ohiostate454 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:and :wwp:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to see another Michigander...

• Like 1

ohiostate454

I have a picture of the c141 I won't have more pictures until I get them in a few weeks. I have more pictures of the cub then anything sadly lol.

8761.jpeg

20171029_150616.jpg

20171029_150627.jpg

gwest_ca

C-141's are 1978 or 1979 models. Click on the pictures.

Garry

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:.           Tie rods ends can be purchased from Mcmaster carr.60645k461c1-d03c-digitall.png?ver=1481731525

IMO, restoring a tractor to new condition for resale will not be  profitable.

• Excellent 3

JPWH

:WRS:  

jay bee

@ohiostate454 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: Neighbor!!!  If you need to look at a C-141 or take some reference pictures, come on over.  I'm right down the road from you and have one sitting in the garage.

Jim

170819_005.jpg.042d26e82d8df893f441db4218f8f4a5.jpg

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS: I don't know anything about the 656, but the C141 is a great tractor, ive got one myself with a tiller on it ive been working on in my spare time. If you need any pictures of how anything goes together let me know and I'll gladly get them to you

20170916_180320.jpg

ohiostate454

Awesome to know someone is that close of I get stuck. My brother took a couple pictures when they got them unloaded. I guess the old owner took the tierods off the 141 for the 656? I am going to have my brother get me some measurements and make new ones this week. Then this weekend i plan on going to the tractor junkyard by my house and hopefully find a 14hp kohler. They charge 75bucks for a 12 to 20 horse I don't think is a terrible price. If I can't fine a 14 I know for sure there are some 12hps there. I do have a question about the 656 rear it has a slot hitch on it but then has a long bar sticking out of that. Is this some sort of an adapter or set up to pull a yard car or something with a pin hitch?

9109.jpeg

9123.jpeg

• Like 1

Sarge

That is the common older style slot hitch - there are a lot of the older implements that used that hitch including plows for turning the soil . You can pretty easily get a Brinly style clevis hitch and use the more common newer attachments on the rear . A member in our vendors group offers that hitch as well as new lift cables for that tractor if you need them...

Sarge

ohiostate454

Well I finally was able to get one of the tractors to my house and opted for the 656 since it was complete. I started digging into a little. The old owner thought the motor blew but wasn't sure. Pulled the plug and rolled the motor by hand and nothing no compression. Pulled the head and the piston stayed at the top of the block. I hopefully we get it the rest of the way pulled and access the damage and order a rebuild kit for this and get it going. I also noticed that when you lift the seat pan it has two compartments one for thebshifter and another behind that. There was a large weight in the back area and I am curious if this was a stock form of weight addition or someone had a bright idea and stuffed the weight in there.

20171203_173912.jpg

20171203_174138.jpg

20171203_174146.jpg

20171203_174141.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish
On 12/4/2017 at 1:04 PM, ohiostate454 said:

I also noticed that when you lift the seat pan it has two compartments one for thebshifter and another behind that. There was a large weight in the back area and I am curious if this was a stock form of weight addition or someone had a bright idea and stuffed the weight in there.

:WRS:

Someone stuffed that weight in the toolbox. Not a bad idea since no one seems to carry tools in there any way. Looks like a set of tire chains in there too so now you need a snow blade

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:       I have the tool box on my 1055 full of chains. added weight and if I need a chain I know right where they are.            :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

ohiostate454

Well upon further investigation tonight I think I might have found the problem. The rod and the block were no longer getting along so the rod seems to have left the block lol. Now I get to decide on a repower or try to find a replacement hh60 that runs or to rebuild and swap into it. With that added timeline I might actually tear it all the way down and paint it to try to get a little more out of it come spring when I sell it. 

20171205_182326.jpg

20171205_182321.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

You may need the large kit.    J-B Weld 8297 HighHeat 550 Degree Epoxy Putty Stick - 2 oz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

jay bee
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, ohiostate454 said:

i plan on going to the tractor junkyard by my house

Where is that tractor junkyard near Schoolcraft?  I may need  some stuff also.

Jim

wallfish
50 minutes ago, ohiostate454 said:

the rod seems to have left the block lol.

That's just a window so you can see what's going on in there. Makes it easier to check the oil too! :ychain:

Find a H60 if you're the original type. They were common on older snow blowers and many other applications but you'll have to use the parts from your engine for the starter, flywheel and charging coils if you go that route and find one without that stuff.

A 6, 7, or 8 hp kohler will fit in there but you need an older starter/generator type because the gear starter gets in the way for the battery. or a pull start. They need to use a smaller air cleaner too. I put an 8hp Kohler in mine.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

ohiostate454
43 minutes ago, jay bee said:

Where is that tractor junkyard near Schoolcraft?  I may need  some stuff also.

Jim

Kalamazoo light truck parts has a ton of them you can look up there prices under forms online if I remember there were a few wheel horses there as well as several cubs, deeres, and AC/simplicities.

I was almost thinking to try jb weld but if I do end up selling it to pay for the c-141 rebuild I want it to be right for the new owner. 

That is good to know the blocks are on other implements everything else is good on the motor just a new block and internals.

• Like 2

jay bee
8 minutes ago, ohiostate454 said:

Kalamazoo light truck parts

Thanks for the info!!!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

ohiostate454

Well I started to tear into the old girl a little more. I was already dirty from replacing the spark plugs in my wrx (which btw is a complete pain in the ass.) Went ahead and pulled the motor all the way off and all the parts off the exterior of it. I sprayed the frame down with some degreaser and will clean it up hopefully next weekend. Looking at how simple this tractor is I think I am going to go ahead and pull it apart and paint it during the winter. I work for an abrasives manufacturer so all my sanding and prepping supplies or either free or at cost.  

I was hoping only one side of the case of the hh60 would be bad but it blew the rod through both sides. I will hopefully get out to the junkyard and try to find a good replacement block and internals to put a hh60 back into it. Untill then clean it up strip it and paint it. Does someone here make replacement decals for these as well I would like to just pull the old off and put new on when I am done.

We also got our first snow of the year so I went out and played with my 1220 a little since my neighbor plowed most of my drive while I was gone lol.

20171209_174029.jpg

20171205_182729.jpg

1512938921685325827726.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ohiostate454 said:

20171209_174029.jpg

Man, when those Techys  don't get fed right, they get mean.

• Like 1

ohiostate454

Well I decided to use this warm 40 degree day to clean the tractor. I have to saw I absolutely love how easy it was to remove the deck. After Christmas I plan or striping the rest of the panels off to prime and paint it. I also noticed the shifter boot was basically disintegrated so I will be ordering a new one of those. I also have a buddy with a 3d printer that is going to print me a new hood ornament and the tab that goes on the hood release lever.

20171216_151400.jpg

20171216_163023.jpg

• Like 2