Rayp

C 160 Automatic

Rayp

Can anyone please help with the following questions:-

1) Should the clip on the throttle cable bolt to the nut and bolt on the left of photo 1?

2) The spring in photo 1 doesn't appear to do anything - is it correctly located?

3) Where in photo 2 should the spring on the motion control lever be fitted?P1010268.JPG.1259b65ada32e82f9482c082629be46a.JPGP1010267.JPG.1f212c6ea33ab78a59232b6ffc9049bf.JPG 

rmaynard
12 minutes ago, Rayp said:

Can anyone please help with the following questions:-

1) Should the clip on the throttle cable bolt to the nut and bolt on the left of photo 1?

2) The spring in photo 1 doesn't appear to do anything - is it correctly located?

3) Where in photo 2 should the spring on the motion control lever be fitted? 

1. Yes, the clip is attached to that bolt and nut.

2. The spring (as far as I know) is to keep the arm from rattling.

3. Someone else will have to answer that one as I don't have that model tractor.

• Like 4

rj35hunter

The spring in the first photo is for the PTO arm and lever just like mine in the photo

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Rayp

Thank you Hunter for the very clear photos - I can now make a little more progress with my rebuild Can I ask you another 'obvious' question namely is it possible to fit the belt guard without removing the fender.

Thank you for your replies Bob.

• Like 1

Rayp

Thank you for your replies Bob - I had assumed the spring in question had a critical role and was worried that it might not be the right one.

• Like 1

Sarge

Got dimensions for that spring ? Mine has long moved to other pastures , it would be nice not to have it rattling or trying to burn the clutch disk off...

Sarge

Rayp
4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Hi Sarge,

I,m sorry I don't have the de dimensions- I only wish I Had!  I have tried to order this and two other springs without success and even asked the forum if anyone could give me dimensions of the springs I required but I got no response.

gwest_ca

Part number 1230 extension spring

Wire .040" or 1mm diameter

Distance between hooks 1.750" or 44mm

Coil OD .350" or 9mm

Coil length 1.024" or 26mm

24 coils @ 1.024" = .042667" wire diameter

Garry

Adding

When you go to an online Toro dealer the 1230 comes up as a duplicate part See $book. They must have another part number for the same spring but it is not published yet. I will guess an experienced dealer dedicated to his service would know how to get that information. Probably in their latest price list.

Same spring was used on some of the hydro tractors shift linkage

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/1230/

• Like 3

Rayp

Hi Garry,

Thank you very much for the helpful information - I'm sure Sarge will be equally pleased.  I will try the dealers again 'pre-armed'. 

Sarge

Garry nailed it - and I think I already have that spring from some of my hydro units spare parts stash I keep around . Many of those parts are probably NLA since I always buy up several spares of things I think will wear out over time - springs are a big part of that box's contents . Bushings are another one - probably have 50 of them here and many for the pre-'73 models . Most are easy to duplicate/replicate/update/upgrade but some are very thin wall and tough to make on a sloppy old lathe I have....lol . Been asked by many a parts dealer why I want a quantity of 5 parts when it only takes just one...

Sarge

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
15 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Part number 1230 extension spring

Wire .040" or 1mm diameter

Distance between hooks 1.750" or 44mm

Coil OD .350" or 9mm

Coil length 1.024" or 26mm

24 coils @ 1.024" = .042667" wire diameter

Garry

Adding

When you go to an online Toro dealer the 1230 comes up as a duplicate part See $book. They must have another part number for the same spring but it is not published yet. I will guess an experienced dealer dedicated to his service would know how to get that information. Probably in their latest price list.

Same spring was used on some of the hydro tractors shift linkage

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/1230/

I did some research on this spring and found some say the toro 83-2820 spring replaces  #1230 spring. They are a little expensive for a replacement. 

• Like 1

Sarge

In some of the older Hardware stores there is a selection of springs in small drawers - can't recall who made them now but I've relied on those springs ever since I started building/repairing things . They are common wire sizes , diameter lengths , coil count and such and easy to find an exact match in many cases . There are some odd ones that used harder spring steel but most are honestly off-the-shelf common components . There was no reason to have a spring manufacturer make a proprietary part (except really odd stuff , like the HY unit for round hoods) .

Most times I do exactly what Garry listed - wire diameter/coil OD/coil length/# of coils/distance to attachment type/style points . With that information - you can find nearly any spring . Beware using any from overseas - their wire hardness/ductility is not the same and many times will not last , break right away or corrode into a pile of dust .

Sarge

• Like 1

Rayp

Thanks again Bob and Garry and Sarge for all your help.