Walt

Key Off Stays Running

Walt

I haven't ran my tractor since last spring due to a couple of my Grand Kids wanting to earn some money I let them use the walk behind to mow a few lawns. Yesterday I pulled both walk behind snow blowers out of the shed to prep them for upcoming winter. After I that I rolled my tractor out of the garage to start getting it ready for snow. I had to char battery it since it had set for 6 months or so. Once that was done and fuel was filling the fuel line it started fine. I let it run for a bit while getting lawn edger and shovel rounded up for today. When I went to shut tractor down I turned the key to off position and tractor stayed running turned it on and off couple of times and it continued to run. I lifted the seat and engaged the PTO and the tractor still stayed running. Do any of you have a direction for me to focus on when I dig into the cause of this over next few days while the rain keeps me from working with out a roof over my head. Tractor is a 1980 1100 Special with a BS engine.

gwest_ca

With the B&S powered models the ignition is self-powered and the ignition wire is simply grounded to the chassis or battery (-) to shut it OFF. Normally the ignition switch is a magneto type to accomplish this.

The B&S tractors at the time used a different battery style of ignition switch and the I terminal that normally powers a battery style of ignition is used to power a relay. Key ON the relay contacts open and allow the B&S to run. Power OFF the relay grounds the ignition wire shutting the engine OFF.

Your wiring should be similar to this

Garry

• Like 2

squonk

Sounds like the relay isn't relaying or the grounding wire became unhooked. Look fro a wire from under the f;ywheel hanging in mid-air. 

• Like 2

953 nut

Could be the relay is not all the way in the socket or the wire from the relay to the engine isn't hooked up.

• Like 1

Walt
On 10/29/2017 at 11:23 AM, squonk said:

Look fro a wire from under the f;ywheel hanging in mid-air.

The lug on the end of that wire had broken off and sure enough it was just hanging there took about 5 minutes to replace the end and reattach it to the spade it was originally connected to.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1