Fordiesel69

Help me make a seperated air supply for breathing during restoration.

Fordiesel69

I am hyper senstive to isocyanates found in almost all chemicals use to do restore work on our tractors.  Not to mention breathing in paints and solvents are probably not very good for you even at a hobby level.  I find even good quality 3M masks with the flappers in them and the expensive cartridges still let fumes thru.

What I would like to do is make a system where I can bring air to a mask from somewhere else.  I have not been successful in being able to obtain diver tanks or firefighter tanks, they are super expensive and require certification.   

Sarge

The only safe way to do that is a supplied air system - they are highly filtered and it's intake location must be very far from any potential of getting exhausted fumes from any ventilation system , vehicles , ect . This requires a full face respirator and you cannot have any facial hair to interfere with the face seal . The positive pressure mask will keep contaminates out and it's a bit of a learning curve to teach your body to exhale hard enough to get rid of the carbon dioxide we exhale . If you wear eyeglasses , be prepared also for a lens insert kit - they aren't cheap either .

There are several basic supply side pump types and ways they supply breathing air -

Tank systems - aka "diving tanks"

Fan-fed pressure system with filtration (location of this unit is incredibly important)

Compressor fed systems with oil/water separation ($$$$$)

All systems must be tested prior to EVERY use - the air quality if something goes wrong is concentrated in it's effects depending upon what is contaminating it - that's why fan fed systems and their pump location is so important . Way too many OSHA films showing how workers were injured/killed from these systems being placed in the wrong area . With no one monitoring it , the risk goes up really fast as well . I've had to use this equipment in my work at times - the training that goes into this stuff is staggering - we have to carry full certifications to use the equipment within the industry and are required to re-test yearly .You could possibly get a used system from a body shop that uses a supplied air system in their paint booth - sometimes they either upgrade or get a better one and a new mask would be a minimal cost . Be prepared for the filter costs - they are scary and even have an expiration date according to age . It would be pretty hard to get a system for home use below several thousand dollars . At that point it's almost worth doing all the metal prep work and let a shop shoot the paint or do it outside . Sometimes it's just a matter of a better ventilation system being either a down or cross draft - just pay attention to where you are diverting those fumes .

Some people's sensitivity to certain chemicals is almost like an allergy and should be taken very seriously - it can kill you if pushed too far and will get worse with time and start to include even odd things like brake cleaners , ect . You'll become more sensitive to any solvents - I worked in a wood cabinetry shop that did specialized work - the owner could not stand any solvents or even a whiff of their odors , that's how I got the job of finishing our work . My sensitivity since that period has gone up a lot , so I keep painting very limited here .

Btw - if you're getting any fumes from a half-face respirator you're either not doing a proper fitment of the mask or the filters are shot - you should never smell any odors from the chemicals . Cartridges rated for organics and solvents aren't cheap - but neither is a lung transplant . I've had 3M masks in the past and could never get a very good fit - have had much better results from the MSA branded units and their cartridges are cheaper anyway .

There is a ton of information on these masks/cartridges and you must understand what to use and where - do your research and call tech service if necessary - they can be very helpful but remember their answers are limited by their liability risks .

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Fordiesel69

I was looking to keep it even simpler.  Have a unit inside the house, and run some hose out to a mask.

WHX??

ohiofarmer

I use a C-PAP machine for sleep apnea and I am sure that it would work great for this application. My sister's husband passed away and there is no returning these machines to be refurbished and reused, so she threw it away. if you know of a deceased person who used one, you could get a new mask to suit your needs. Of course you are on your own with a machine not being used as intended, so don't kill yourself

That is just to protect your lungs, Iso  can still affect you even if it gets on your skin.

That stuff scares me, so I have quit using it. I would rather spray standard enamel and follow it with clear. Rustoleum brand does not crinkle the base coat [of Rustoleum] like other   brands do

Paul Van Benschoten

The CPAP machine I had for almost 20 years was replaced  because it did not "report back to the mothership" and the insurance company could not prove that I still needed it. They gave me a newer one that makes contact with someone and shows how much I use it. 

Anyway, I have the old one and about 50ft of hose. Since the masks are replaced often, I have an old one that I use when wire brushing, sanding or painting. 

I have seen CPAP machines on Craigslist.

Howie

Look at Eastwoods stuff.They have two units. I do not know how good they actually work, but might be worth a look.

• Like 2