Bill D

Safe ways to flip over and/or hold decks for servicing.

Bill D

Does anyone on here have a safe way to flip over their decks, or hold them for servicing? I recently pulled my groin flipping over a 48 inch deck for cleaning and blade sharpening.?

JoeM

After back surgery last November, I installed a 1000 lbs chain hoist to the rafters. I purchased a better brand from Grainger about $200. Now, I disconnect and raise the front of the tractor and roll out the deck. Lower the tractor, roll it back and raise the deck.

Pricey, but I wish I have done this years ago.

• Like 5

953 nut

To change or sharpen blades I hook the engine hoist to the front of the :wh: and raise it up. I too had spinal surgery a couple years back and need to work smarter now.

• Like 4

Shynon

I have a friend down the road from me who has modified a 2 wheel hand cart. He just lays the hand cart on top of the deck, inserts a few pins in various locations and now he can tip it back up and the deck is mounted to the cart. He flips it over for blade sharpenings also uses it for winter storage.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

I use a 5/8" rope block and tackle to lift horses and deere to 0.27 ton (540lbs).

IMG_8509.JPG.7508f7adf123324b4aedd9f71c7c0a53.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

pacer

Along these same lines, except I got one of HF's electric hoists to attach to the rafters  -- I have gave myself several "attaboys" since!:woohoo:

• Like 4

Sarge

It's almost a bit funny - we don't work smarter until we get old enough to hurt ourselves . I'm pretty stubborn - it took 2 hernias and an old back injury as well as both knees that are destroyed from a construction accident to learn to work smarter . I finally bought a used engine hoist - surprising how handy it is . Next up - a lift table . Getting up/down off the ground is getting to be a no-no and now if I do certain things I really pay for it in days spent on a heating pad - that doesn't get much work done . One thing I always wanted to build for use on all this stuff I build/work on was an A-frame , just no place to put it here and what I have in mind isn't exactly small ...

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

tunahead72

Pure muscle power, preferably my son's, although my wife or daughter will do in a pinch.

I'm still learning the older/smarter thing.

• Haha 3

tarcoleo

I back up the rear wheels onto an ordinary pair of ramps which raises the rear of the machine about a foot.

This, together with the application of a no-seize paste when installing mower blades has made life so much easier.

BTW, you can avoid the center spindle grease fitting on 48" decks being sheared off by using hose clamps to prevent the

deck from side shifting.

Edited by tarcoleo

Texas Todd

Same idea as most, but I put my chain block on a 10 foot trolley.  Back saver. When I build my new shop I will probably get an electric hoist.

59f73da97d32a_LiftHoist.jpg.76fbd993d9963612b78c3adc4b5bd478.jpg

59f73db0bb6ae_HoistTrolley.jpg.a0b7edf0c9b6101fdf3eec85c029726d.jpg

59f73dbaba9ef_HoistLift.jpg.2d9d28f904d739dce75b2a7864b7da0f.jpg

Edited by Texas Todd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1