BOB ELLISON

unleaded gas

BOB ELLISON

I tried to start my b80 and nothing.

So I charged the battery and it turned over and over and over. So I put fresh gas with sea foam  and no start.

Checked spark and good spark.

I decided to check fuel pump and got a good stream of gas. So I know now its

In the carburetor.  I shot some starting fluid it carb and it started up.I decided to pull carb and this is what I found.

This is from only 5 months sitting.

Now it has stabil and sea foam in the tank. This unleaded gas is bad news for sitting engines.

20171025_141547.jpg

20171025_141533.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

oldredrider

30 days is about the "shelf life" of ethanol gas. It's all down hill after that unless you treat it with Sta-Bil or Seafoam.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Digger 66
9 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I tried to start my b80 and nothing.

So I charged the battery and it turned over and over and over. So I put fresh gas with sea foam  and no start.

Checked spark and good spark.

I decided to check fuel pump and got a good stream of gas. So I know now its

In the carburetor.  I shot some starting fluid it carb and it started up.I decided to pull carb and this is what I found.

This is from only 5 months sitting.

Now it has stabil and sea foam in the tank. This unleaded gas is bad news for sitting engines.imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

What was in there to begin with ?? 

Marine grade Stabil ?

I agree corn fuel is bad news , but i've never seen it turn green on it's own .

Unless the alcohol absorbed so much moisture that it started to react with the brass float ?? 

• Like 1

KC9KAS
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

And be careful with Sta-Bil. I have seen that crystallize  also.

Our local agriculture equipment dealer told me a couple of years ago that they switched from Sta-Bil to Seafoam and have not experienced any problems since then! I saw no reason to doubt him so I use Seafoam exclusive!

• Like 8

daveoman1966

I had the same problem...you'da thot someone planted corn in the carb bowl.  I tried Stabil, but that only turned the green 'seeds' to brown.  Ultimately I began using Seafoam and have not since had a problem.   A better idea is to buy Ethanol Free gas, which I've also done.  Even with that, I still use Seafoam cuz I like to 'over-kill' an issue.   

CARB K241S (10).JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS
1 minute ago, daveoman1966 said:

I had the same problem...you'da thot someone planted corn in the carb bowl.  I tried Stabil, but that only turned the green 'seeds' to brown.  Ultimately I began using Seafoam and have not since had a problem.   A better idea is to buy Ethanol Free gas, which I've also done.  Even with that, I still use Seafoam cuz I like to 'over-kill' an issue.   

CARB K241S (10).JPG

I totally agree. My family calls me "Over-kill Ken", but I don't have redo many projects!

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 5

WHX??

Don't know as I ever seen the green stuff Bob, wonder what caused it? Now Dave' pics yes plenty of times. I do try to empty the bowl if I am going to lay a tractor up for months by shutting off the pet cocktail and runt till is empties out plus choke it as it's starting to sputter. Don't know if that helps but figure it can't hurt. Sometimes I wish they hadn't done away with bowl drains. I'm also with Mike on the seafoam. Which surprises my self not being a believer of tune up in a can.

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, daveoman1966 said:

buy Ethanol Free gas, which I've also done.  Even with that, I still use Seafoam

I too have been using ethanol free with Seafoam for several years and have had no further fuel related problems.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

https://www.pure-gas.org

• Like 5

slammer302

I live in a small town the only gas station here only sales one grade of gas 87. I use seafoam in the fall seems to work well.

• Like 5

gsummers

I can only get ethonal gas where I live, I have used Seafoam for couple of years now, have had no problems.

• Like 4

rmaynard
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Sea Foam is an awesome product and anyone who doubts it will have to grab a chair and sit a while as I explain in detail all of the things I have fixed or seen fixed with it. 

That would be me.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Oh no...here we go.

bth_smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif.ace266a0dab82019e36391b13c24ccaf.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

BOB ELLISON

When I placed the carb in my work pan I removed the bolt that holds the bowl and all the gas was green. Mesa thinks it was from water in the bowl and as soon as the gas evaporated the water turned the flot green along with the gas when I opened the valve under the tank.

It probably was just as Dave said.

20171025_141337.jpg

• Sad 2

JC 1965

I also use Ethanol free gas with Sea Foam. Works for me.       :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

rmaynard

I use ethanol-free, 89 octane gas only.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Not only being into the GT hobby but also the vintage car hobby, this fuel topic comes up a lot.  Ethanol has a lot of problems associated with it for hobby machines.  I have seen numerous problems with it and steer clear of it for any of my in shop fuel tanks (whether attached to a vehicle or on the shelf.)  I have used Stabil in the past but am not convinced that it works like SeaFoam does.  My uncle had put some Ethanol into one of my GT's last fall and I had a real challenge getting it going right this spring.  Fuel certainly isn't what it used to be years ago.  I'm a big fan of running premium in my GT's all summer and storing them with full tanks and SeaFoam in winter.  I like @WHX12 method of running the float bowl dry for the winter as well. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

Sarge

I get so much stuff here brought to me by the local folks in town that look like all the pics above - they know my equipment runs forever and I rarely ever have an issue so they ask if I can fix theirs . So far , only two keep coming back with their push mowers because they refuse to pay the extra cost of the "premium" non-ethanol fuel - instead they are paying me to fix the carb and one now has just gotten a new fuel tank due to corrosion . I have seen the green color on a couple of occasions - those folks bought their fuel at Casey's which is somewhat of a bottom-barrel quality fuel (no offense) . We're down to one place now locally to get non-ethanol 91 octane and one station that is 30 miles away - I'm getting nervous . I know for a fact that after 3wks the ethanol laced fuels start to break down as well as start causing corrosion in aluminum carbs and their brass parts - the stuff is highly corrosive . My 2014 pickup will drop around 5mpg on average if I don't run the non-ethanol and also starts getting some rattles upon startup - runs perfect on the Philip's 66 / 91 octane ethanol - free and definitely has a lot more throttle response . The modern digital injection engines are designed to compensate for this crap so most folks will never know the difference - nor notice over time the damage it's doing to their engines . My old Land Cruiser was designed to run on nearly any gasoline in 3rd World countries , clear down to 75 octane by means of an adjustable timing advance knob on the distributor - it absolutely hates ethanol and in a short time will flat out refuse to start - the stuff is that bad and I deeply hate it . Not going into the whole argument about what it's done to the food markets and all the subsidies paid out to support it's production - but in my opinion it's complete idiocy to use/make the stuff .

Sea Foam is a very effective cleaner and seems to help keep the fuel from causing the corrosion issues . Sta-Bil is a stabilizer - you must use it with fresh gas right out of the pump and it must be of good quality to start with for it to work correctly . If you can't find local non-ethanol fuels or find something in the search engines - ask around with the bikers , racers and vintage car guys - they will know what works best in older engines .

Sarge

• Like 7

ACman

:text-yeahthat:...agree with all the above but I’ve had really good luck with StarTron fuel additive too .

:twocents-02cents:  ... If your going to store your equipment for a long time without starting it periodically (I try to start everything once a month) or draining the fuel system the only way to go is airplane or racing gas . Yes it’s pricey but I’ve seen cars with racing fuel set for ten years . Take off the fuel cap and take a whiff . The gas still smells like gas not turpentine and will fire right up . This is how many car collectors store their vehicles without having to worry about going through the whole fuel system after setting for years .

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

After looking at your work pan Bob maybe you should save the green gas for St. Pattys day! :lol:

Here's my solution I keep two gas cans, one for high test and one for corn fuel. I have them labeled Miller and Miller Lite...:lol: I use the Miller in the good tractors & motors I care about, the Miller Lite in tractors or disposable motors  I don't care about. If I know I am going to burn through a whole tank on a chore I will sometimes use the lite on a good motor. then refilled with Miller. When they all set for the winter they all get hi-test & seafoam & sometimes a shot of stabil.  

Must suck being in an area Slammer where you can't even get hi-test.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

Filled up the old work truck this morning at my favorite convenience mart here in WI, Kwik Trip. They had a new "gem" as an option, super 88...

IMG_5377.JPG.cb983d7058eb810b718dc716fb98b489.JPG

Its E15 which will really cause complications in your favorite hobby vehicle when stored.  Used to be 87 and 89 with up to 10% ethanol and the good stuff on the right.  Excluding my '69 Goat all my GT usage combined over a year probably only costs me $50-75 more to run non ethanol fuel constantly.  To me, the hobby has costs associated with it and that is cheap insurance against multiple fuel related headaches...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Yes use that trigger to the right on the GT's Josh... unless you got guys coming over for a plow day who like to go thru a lot of gas and your not friends with them! :ychain:

• Haha 5

PeacemakerJack

:ROTF:

especially if they bring a yellow and white tractor on your property..

IMG_5352.JPG.83176bf5be31fd75759bd0d01b998f9b.JPG

• Like 2