dells68

16hp Vanguard wiring help

dells68

Ok guys, I'm getting ready to start working on Emory's 16hp Vanguard.  I'm a little stumped by the wiring.  I have one heavy red wire coming from under the shroud.  I'm suspecting it is a charging wife.  There are also 2 black wires that come from the shroud with a plastic plug attached.  I've looked at every wiring diagram I can find and an still confused!  Does one of the black wires go to the switch for kill?  If so what is the other one for?  Are they both hot?  How do I wire the kill switch?  

IMG_6035.JPG

littleredrider

That red wire goes to the battery, and the other one with the plug looks like they are for the starter....

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 2

Howie

Yellow plug with the two black wires are from the stator. Red one I believe is from the solenoid on the carb. Yellow plug goes to rrectifier/regulator. 

Briggs regulator number 797375.

• Like 1

dells68

Thanks guys.  This Briggs has me stumped.  I'm pretty comfortable with Kohlers, but feel like these are completely out of my wheelhouse.  I know Briggs are tough engines and these twins sound just mean!  I'll update as I work on the engine - hopefully this weekend.  Gotta take Emory camping with a couple of dads from Trail Life Friday night, but hope to work some Saturday afternoon.

JoeM

Yeah, they are a little different. Some things I found out.

I found it best to get the wiring diagram form the machine the engine came from, if you can.

Something that happened to me was, when testing I got the carburetor wire and magneto wires crossed. That burned up the diodes the machine would only run on one cylinder.

Also, after time, the carb solenoid would stick and the engine would not start. It can be eliminated with a plug.  Briggs & Stratton part #807723 PLUG-CARBURETOR. one other item is when using the carb solenoid the ignition switch (kohler) would not work.

Hope this helps.

59f04420a6684_CubCadet2160wiringjpeg.jpg.9367b255c874b8a3dd7ab6a6841d83b6.jpg

• Like 3

littleredrider

I had to rewire mine. There are only a couple wires, one for carb, one for ground, and rest for charging and starting. Also depends on what charging system you have. I know when I was looking there were only bout 20 different versions. 

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

The two black wires with the yellow connector plug into the regulator (which I'm guessing you don't have).  Out of the regulator will come one red charging wire to go to the battery.  The single wire is either a kill wire or an ac current wire just for the headlights.  Could be a solenoid on the carb but I don't think your model had that.  Briggs does have a million different charging options so it's hard to say for sure.  Take the shroud off and see where it goes.  Regulator you can get on the bay or at a parts store.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

littleredrider

Need to find out what charging system you have. I think I had a 15 or 30 amp, and didn't have too many wires. There will be one for the carb, one for a ground, (mine was yellow) and then what ever charging system you have. I believe mine had the same plug, but cut it off cause they all went to the  same wire.

• Like 1

Howie

The 10-16 amp systems all used the same stator and regulator. The difference in the was the size of the magnets put in the flywheel. The Vanguard I have on the workbench

has the 2 black wires from the stator, a red wire that runs to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb. The ignition shutoff is to a terminal coming thru the blower housing. I tried 

running the stator wires together on a JD and burnt up the stator. Replaced it and did not try that again! I think I would get the correct regulator, find the wire on your tractor

that goes from regulator to switch or where ever it went and hook the red wire from Briggs regulator to that. I went and looked at the Briggs Alternator chart I have on the

wall to check some of this.

• Like 2

dells68

Well, I finally figured out what regulator I need - I think.  I went to several online sources and going by the model number on my cooling shroud I need a 845907 regulator.  Found them for around $60 at some parts houses and for $17 shipped on fleabay.  Both of the black wires seem to be coming from the charging system (stator) and the red is coming from the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb.  The only other wire is on the shroud for the kill switch.  I hope I can get this right.  I assume I can use a generic Briggs starter solenoid?  I found a complete switch and wire harness on fleabay for $25.  All in all, not too bad if it gets her running!

• Like 2