Dozerman

Charging system

Dozerman

Hello I have 1974 d200 just bought it and it won't charge any info would be greatly appreciated 

953 nut

:WRS:             With any electrical problem the first step is to clean and tighten ALL connections. The wiring diagram in this manual should help.

• Like 1

Dozerman

Thank you I'll see what I can do you have been a big help thank you for the manual 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Dozerman :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

JPWH

:WRS:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Check the AC voltage on the two white wires going to the regulator.  Should be over 30 volts running.  Getting to teh regulator on a D series is real fun...They are the  most difficult to work on of any horses.

• Like 1

Sarge

Just to add to that - the aluminum body of that voltage regulator must be grounded to the system to work correctly and is generally the culprit if they don't want to charge the battery . Remove the regulator noting the location of the wires , clean the bolt hole areas and it's a good idea to use a ground wire back to the battery and the engine block - the system will be a lot more consistent and stable . When re-installing the bolts I like to use internal tooth lock washer (stainless is best) to help keep the connection clean and tight - some dielectric grease helps as well .

Sarge

• Like 3