Emt260

Wheel horse h520, motion lever won't stay engaged

Emt260

Hi everyone,

i know I have asked this question before, I just don't remember what the response was, so please forgive me! I am about to purchase an H520, the machine is in amazing shape. However, the lever to engage the transmission to go forward slips out of gear. I remember everyone said this wasn't a big deal and it is an easy fix, what I don't remember is how to fix it! Someone I believe said there is a bolt under the seat that needs to be adjusted... is it really that simple? 

Any advice would help.

thanks joe

Jerry77

If you are saying that your hydro tranny speed control is not staying where it should, I have the same problem...I was going to put a nylock nut on the shaft, but I ended up using a lock nut on top of the original....under the seat is an opening in the sheet metal - on the top of the tranny is an elliptical shaped flat metal plate with a washer and nut that controls how much force it takes on the speed control handle to move the plate to forward/reverse and the speed of the tractor...it is supposed to take 6 pounds of force to move the speed control handle. After tightening the nut to keep the shifter from moving on its own ( but it still does.)..that is where I was and I double nutted it to keep it from moving on its own. Next time I am in town I will get a 3/8 nylock nut...  I sure did use a lot of words for this -hope you understand what I am trying to say.....someone else will hopefully come along and make this clearer...by the way - do not lubricate the plate where the nut is...:)

DougC

Yep. Like Jerry said above, just tighten that nut in small increments until the motion lever stays at a constant speed. No big deal my friend it's just a 520 kind of thing......:lol:

Emt260

Thank you guys! I currently have a 1983 Work Horse with the old Briggs engine. She's getting tired. It has been in the shop since April and I replaced the whole entire throttle controls on the front of the engine, new cable and many other things and now the mechanic says there is something wrong with the governor... just time to upgrade! Thanks guys for your help! Joe