efaubert1

To buy, or not to buy

efaubert1

Hello all,

I have been a fan of Wheel Horse GT's since childhood (51 yrs old) and was looking for a GT to do some work on my little acre. I found this pristine looking 18HP, 46" hydraulic deck Work Horse with the Wheel Horse logo on it and am wondering if it is worth owning. I thought all Work Horse GT's were white/grey, but this one is all red? Any help appreciated. Also, it comes with the grader box.

IMG_3377.PNG

IMG_3378.PNG

IMG_3379.PNG

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Obviously previous owner repainted at some point. 

:handgestures-thumbsup: Overall, appears to be well cared for...

curious, what's it priced like?  :scratchead:

:WRS:

welcomewagon.gif.74d5b0c8bf843b6546d2c0d813fdb9ab.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.89fd0f3655f6d5b412bf2e4d06ed2d26.png

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Thanks 1

efaubert1
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Obviously previous owner repainted at some point. 

:handgestures-thumbsup: Appears to be well cared for.  

Many idea of what the tractor might be worth? I like it well enough, but don't want to give more than market value just because it has a good paint job. He is asking $800

Edited by efaubert1

BOB ELLISON

Those don't look like a original workhorse lettering. It could be a 418 or 518. Still a nice looking horse.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: So, just the deck is coming with it? 

efaubert1
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug: So, just the deck is coming with it? 

No, the grader box is included as well

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Price isn't crazy...considering the included attachments. 

Will boil down to the way the equipment has been maintained. 

Is there an hour meter on this unit? 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

B&S engine?

1983 and 1984 share the same operator manual

Tractor came with a 48" deck but yours appears to be a 42".

Garry

• Like 1

efaubert1
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Price isn't crazy...considering the included attachments. 

Will boil down to the way the equipment has been maintained. 

Is there an hour meter on this unit? 

Not sure about the hour meter. Will be looking in person tomorrow afternoon. As for the price, if I can get it for less it probably isn't a bad deal?

• Like 2

ericj

that should have started life as work horse GT1848, which had an 18 hp Briggs and Straton motor and a 48" deck. As you suspected it should have been gray or silver type paint on it. a lot of them have been repainted red over the years for one reason or another. It should have also had the 8.5x12 rear rims with 23x10.50x12 rear tires on it which makes most, but not all 42" decks hit the rear tires when the deck is raised. Something to check for. In my area of Penn's woods a seller would have to sit on it at that price for a while before a buyer came along. Your area maybe different. The tractor, if taken care of and the deck in decent shape should be worth something close to that.

Us collectors almost always try to get one as cheap as possible when we buy becuase someday when we find another, and it may be the one that has to go down the road, aka most of us only have room for so many and weather we like it or not have to sell some, to make room for another one. So we want to at least break even when we do sell it off, if not make a little money on it to help support the habit lol.

So depending on condition while I think it maybe a little on the high side to buy, but not out of reason, if I was selling it depending on condition again I might well be asking something close to that. As been said many times on here all boils down to what you are comfortable paying and what the seller is willing to let it go for. good luck

eric j   

Edited by ericj
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS

@efaubert1 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:!

• Like 1

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs:The decals look fake. But all-in-all a nice looking machine. So the deck is not included or it is. Based on the pic with deck and grader box included in the deal, well that seems like a deal at that price.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

russellmc301

any wheel horse is a good deal  :woohoo:

• Like 1

Vinylguy

I have recently had a few customers who painted their Work Horse gt's red instead of the original color.

They used the american series but I was just thinking maybe doing the original red decals in black. 

Pretty decent looking GT by the way.

59ed0a4423312_GT-1848TWINAUTOWORKHORSEblackdecalsfortheonespaintedred.png.66112bc88f6dc858292866319e3958a1.png

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Has been told & seen here...

a few of 'em actually left the factory black. 

• Like 1

Vinylguy
Just now, AMC RULES said:

Has been told & seen here...

a few of 'em actually left the factory black. 

Interesting Craig. First I have heard that. I wonder if the first runs were black and they changed their mind and went to the grey from then on. Were the decals on the black ones the same red as most of the Work Horses?

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Wait one Terry...trying to see if I can find a pict to post here. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Finally found it... :wh: factory black Work Horse GT-1800. 

If I remember correctly, was told it was special order, & you could choose your color. 

IMG_2335.JPG.7994436eab5e7a36efd1ea6b7b588087.JPG

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

Vinylguy

Looks like they painted the top of the hood red. Wonder how many they did like that?

953 nut

:WRS:         The brand of engine will help determine the model. Just because a previous owner painted and lettered it doesn't tel you much in a lot of cases. There should be a model number sticker under the seat (probably painted over) that will let us know a bit more.

Presuming it runs well and everything works well it is probably well priced.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Short answer to a should I buy it on this forum:  yes (always)

• Excellent 1

Searcher60

If you are going to buy a Wheel Horse to work, buy the newest, lowest hours, best maintained one you can find. Assuming you need a big tractor, good medium hour 520H's can be had for $1500 or less. I saw a complete 520 H with 48" deck, 600 hrs. with pics, in Baltimore last week for $450. Wheel Horse, Kohler, Onan parts sometimes cost more than pure gold. I had no truck to go get it. Besides, I traded some tools and $100 bucks for my 300 hr., 1997 520 with a bad deck a couple months ago. But, 520's are flat out gas hogs, even with emissions carb and running perfect. Running a vacuum leaf blower takes a lot of power and the power gauge was up there, and the gas went down there quick on Saturday. Thanks  But the late model 520 is the best tractor Wheel Horse ever made. 

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Thats either a 16 or 18hp Briggs in there but it's missing or has the wrong tins on it.  Also those stacks are a problem because they don't look to have supports on them.  Looks like a back yard resto job to me.  Check it over good.  Could have plenty of life left but I bet it's going to need some odds and ends.  Good luck and :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

efaubert1
1 hour ago, aHorseofCourse said:

Thats either a 16 or 18hp Briggs in there but it's missing or has the wrong tins on it.  Also those stacks are a problem because they don't look to have supports on them.  Looks like a back yard resto job to me.  Check it over good.  Could have plenty of life left but I bet it's going to need some odds and ends.  Good luck and :text-welcomeconfetti:

It's an 18, and I will replace the stacks with a stock two into one as soon as I can. I got it bought for $700. The white lettering has to go. It appears to be a 1982 according what the original owner told the guy who restored it. New starter, new solenoid, new belts, all new deck pulley's, and no smoke. Runs like a top and mows well. The hydraulics work and the grader box was just icing on the cake. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions shortly. Thank you all for your advice and input.

On October 22, 2017 at 7:36 PM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:         The brand of engine will help determine the model. Just because a previous owner painted and lettered it doesn't tel you much in a lot of cases. There should be a model number sticker under the seat (probably painted over) that will let us know a bit more.

Presuming it runs well and everything works well it is probably well priced.

It appears to be an 18hp Briggs. No sticker under the seat anymore. Saw picture before it was restored, it is a work horse. It was a rusty work horse 😂

• Like 5

JimmyJam
10 hours ago, efaubert1 said:

It's an 18, and I will replace the stacks with a stock two into one as soon as I can. I got it bought for $700. The white lettering has to go. It appears to be a 1982 according what the original owner told the guy who restored it. New starter, new solenoid, new belts, all new deck pulley's, and no smoke. Runs like a top and mows well. The hydraulics work and the grader box was just icing on the cake. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions shortly. Thank you all for your advice and input.

Awesome deal! Have fun with your :wh: tractor!!