dells68

Christmas Surprise

Wishin4a416

That will be a really nice Christmas present!!!

• Like 2

dells68
7 hours ago, ACman said:

Emory is going to freak out on Christmas 55F0AAD1-4CD4-469A-B1CD-988FFB9DDC3D.gif.06f99d4c796a1aa63914f9011abeded4.gif ... this is awesome what you’re doing letting him help and him not having a clue . Truly building unforgettable memories.

Dells are interested in adopting me ? :lol:

Well, Jeff you and Emory do have a lot in common.  I don't have a brother, so I might consider it.  A pic for proof that you and Emory might be related:

IMG_4933.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Jerry77

Well, that is just absolutely the most AWESOME present any boy could ever get  -he will go thru the roof on Christmas morning..proud father and son.

• Like 4

dells68

Well, I've been busy rubbing bonds and block sanding.  Finally, I think I'm ready for the first coat of filler primer.  It'll be late Sat. before I get to try a coat.  I have to work a pancake breakfast at school that morning.  I hope to get the first coat of metallic black on the hood soon.

IMG_6269.JPG

IMG_6270.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

Looking good!

• Thanks 1

dells68

Shot the first couple of coats of high build primer tonight.  Found a few dents on the right front corner that will need to be addressed.  All in all I'm pretty happy.  Hopefully the next pics I post will be of the metallic black sometime early next week.

IMG_6273.JPG

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

12Horse Paladin

Been watching & following this thread since before I was even a member...this is so cool on so many levels; beyond even your build skills, Sir (which I think are outstanding)...

I know it's been said many times, but it's the truth...Emory is one lucky young man. It'll be a Christmas he---or you, never forgets!

And not just because of this cool build.:)

It's no secret to my Dad that these Blackhoods jump out at me, and that caught my interest, for sure...but it's more than that, this one:text-bravo:

As a side note....this forum was the 1st place I was introduced to "stacks" on a lawnmower/garden tractor. My Dad, as well as I...well, I guess I just didn't/don't get it, on a using machine, though I s'pose there is a reason. But yours is the 1st machine I've seen with one that really speaks to me; shoot, I LIKE it, A lot! Emory made a great call, on that one...in fact, I'd probably do the same, someday, on one, if it came out lookin' that good; just like it belongs on there...

Thanks for sharing this very special project.

Edited by 12Horse Paladin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks for your kind words @12Horse Paladin.  I'm really enjoying this build.  I'm honestly working harder on it than on most of my own projects to hopefully make it a great Christmas for Emory.  I'm not a fan of straight exhausts, but Emory loves the look and sound of them.  Black hoods seem to have become my favorite in short order, with the exception of our suburbans.  

Oh, and :text-welcomeconfetti: to Redsquare.  You won't find any nicer group of folks with more knowledge anywhere!  Even better, come meet them next June at the Big Show!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

:popcorn: and actually while I read this, I am eating popcorn and drinking a water. Looking great. Looking forward to seeing some paint 👍

• Like 2

ACman
36 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

:popcorn: and actually while I read this, I am eating popcorn and drinking a water. Looking great. Looking forward to seeing some paint 👍

Hiding out in the tunnels again are we ?  :ychain: Heck I’d be finding a way to get one of Mickey’s steaks out of one of the sit down restaurants . Hands down the best steaks I have eaten anywhere and this comes from a guy who grew up on them still walking around on four legs :lol: .

@dells68 I’m still up for adoption  :text-lol: ... Great progress on the resto . That black metal flake is really going to make it standout ! ‭

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19richie66
7 hours ago, ACman said:

Hiding out in the tunnels again are we ?  :ychain: Heck I’d be finding a way to get one of Mickey’s steaks out of one of the sit down restaurants . Hands down the best steaks I have eaten anywhere and this comes from a guy who grew up on them still walking around on four legs :lol: .

Next time you are down this way, maybe we can try and find one👍

• Haha 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:        You need to do a slideshow of Emory working on "Your" tractor and have it playing on Christmas Morning when he gets the keys!       :occasion-gift:   

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ACman
55 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Still thinking Jeff.  Only problem is if I adopt you, I'm afraid we would stay in trouble, both of us being just a little on the mischievous side.  

We are the same age D5F813DB-73BF-4B41-9518-51942DDAAE9F.gif.a717cbe874d1ce58cfa5674e9ea5637e.gif we couldn’t cause that much mischief ! :rolleyes: The weather up here sucks an I’m seeing a move in the near future.

Look at Emory using that hand/arm :handgestures-thumbupright: ... That’s some good occupational therapy right there and he doesn’t even realize it . He’s a little man on a mission making sure it’s nice and straight. :woohoo:

• Excellent 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

What a great project, I am so enjoying this.

Glenn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Got a little more done today.  Emory and I sanded his front rims, I primed the wheels, and sealed the seat pan and hood.  I also sprayed a test of the color combo - metallic black and Rustoleum red speck metallic.  After clear (bottom of the picture),  they'll look great.  Ignore the reflection, that's the lamp I took the picture under.

IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6304.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

dells68

Came in with a pounding headache, but needed to get the metallic black laid down since it is lacquer based and has to go down before the red and clear enamel.  Now to try to mount the rear tires if I have enough energy so I can paint the rims (I'd mar them up if I painted them before mounting the tires).  Oh, there's a rear fender surprise coming - a little twist on Terry's flat black fender decals.

IMG_6311.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

I like the black paint , are you going to use the red as accent ?

• Like 2

dells68
12 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I like the black paint , are you going to use the red as accent ?

On the hood I'm going to paint everything else with the red metallic, just the original recessed area will be black.  On the rear fenders, I'm going to carry the black insert idea over to the fender tops.  I'm going to wrap the black all the way around the fenders across the taillight area in the back.  I plan to use the black on the shift plate/cover and the vertical piece under the dash.  Just trying to make it a little different for Emory, so it will be all his.  I also had @Vinylguy customize a set of his carbon fiber look decals for me and they are awesome!  Terry's work never disappoints!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

12Horse Paladin

I am not the kind of guy that can look at a test panel/area and tell if the paint is going to come out the way I like, which can be daunting when trying to paint something.

I thought I would like those colors, but wasn't 100% sure, when I saw them on your 1st pic of the colors you were using...

That black looks FANTASTIC. And I sure like your idea with the seat pan, etc....when you shoot that red, I can "see" it, now...gonna be EXCELLENT!:text-bravo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

You have done excellent prep work before paint. Cant wait to see it all done.

:popcorn:

Edited by Skipper
  • Thanks 1

dells68
2 hours ago, Skipper said:

You have done excellent prep work before paint. Cant wait to see it all done.

:popcorn:

Thank you.  I'm very pleased with how smooth the hood came out, but am a little disappointed with the fender pan.  There are a couple of spots that you can see my bodywork.  Honestly, I think I missed it because I spent so much effort on the hood and got careless.  At least it's not up there on that big ole flat hood!

• Like 2

Skipper

You are probably the only one that will ever notice it, so do not sweat it ;-)

• Thanks 1

Jerry77

Emory is going to go ballistic....you'll have to peel him off the ceiling...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

dells68
32 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Emory is going to go ballistic....you'll have to peel him off the ceiling...:handgestures-thumbupright:

Jerry, I'm hoping he'll be tickled.  I'm off until next Monday, so I'm going to try to get a couple of days and the red on it.  I was down there with him last night and asked him if he'd like to have one like this someday.  I told him he might have to wait until he's a little older and he said he wanted one, but the cg8 he thinks I'm fixing would be ok for now.  I don't know whether to give him the seat for Christmas, or just hang a key on the tree.  I'm going to have it backed in so he can see something special on the back and have a big bow on it.:occasion-partyblower:

• Like 7