UncleJerm76

My 701 journey

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

No gasket adhesive that I know of will work against modern fuels and ethanol

I'll plus one that.

There are gasket sealants that will work on a - temporary - basis against ethanol. You will be back in there within a year or much less. Maybe half that.

If you're using Straight gas like a lot of us already do, you might be able to get away with it, somewhat longer term. ....

If your pump is not repairable, someone else on here may have one.

• Like 2

UncleJerm76

Ok, I tried both methods ;), used a DAP product that supposedly will hold up, we shall see :rolleyes:. Also ran machine screws through the opposite direction and put the nuts on top. Had to go bottom-up because if going top-down the nuts wont clear the main bolts that mount the pump to the engine. I had to use screws with the flattest heads I could find and they barely cleared. 

I forgot to ask this question, what is the arm that sticks down on the pump? It wasn’t connected to anything and it is spring loaded. Is it a pressure release? Should it be hooked up to something? What is its purpose?

9A5E492D-4462-4F3F-9515-AE3FA55FED23.jpeg

Edited by UncleJerm76

Lane Ranger

The arm is a primer arm  like the later Bubble ones on  new motors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UncleJerm76

On 10/10/2017 at 12:17 PM, stevasaurus said:

That mower deck was made for the 701 and only the 701...too bad about the sides being cut.

I'm not so sure the sides were cut now, I pulled up the owners manual for the RMR-3661 deck and it states, "The mower has side plates which can be removed for cutting heavy wet material". That leads me to believe they were removed and then misplaced?

Capture.PNG

I put it all back together and rode around for about 20 minutes on my lunch break - No fuel leaks! Hopefully the gasket adhesive will last long enough for me to find a proper rebuild kit for the fuel pump. While I was out there riding around I even mowed a few strips — I'm still amazed at how well these "old-tech decks" mow. For only 7hp they sure do put the power down, went through the tall stuff like it was nothing and left a nice clean cut without grass all clumped up like a side-discharge does in the high stuff. Surprised me because the blades are shot. The open front and rear of the RMR-3661 deck sure does make a mess on the mower (and your feet!) though. It feels like it easily bests "today's" mowers with double the hp. The only thing I think I will miss is not having a Hi/Low range. 1st gear isn't quite low enough for me to lug around heavy trailers or big loads especially since I cant safely lug the motor at low RPM.

Edited by UncleJerm76

gwest_ca

Keep your eyes open for another 701 you can dedicate to trailer towing. Make up a SR-62 or SR-64 speed reducer to slow the ground speed down. Click on the picture.

Garry

• Thanks 1

UncleJerm76

That’s cool thanks Garry!

Edited by UncleJerm76

UncleJerm76

Thank you @A-Z Tractor for the correct seat pan, looking much better now!

Edited by UncleJerm76
  • Like 1

UncleJerm76

Just a pic for @AMC RULES

EA996752-FBA8-4422-9A03-D7AF5A1D4FC3.jpeg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

large.IMG_2660.JPG.d5045f75e6a77cc5acfde6b567b54baf.jpg.94e0985c915ea59ae410112f01d89552.jpg

Hold your control & tap the + key multiple times...

to enlarge this image.

Get one of these...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/category/1-redsquare-support/

So, you can post all the picts you want here.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UncleJerm76

@AMC RULES those leaves changing are beautiful! Wish I lived somewhere to see that happen. Florida boy my whole life, never seen snow or witnessed the leaves changing. :sad-bored:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 10/25/2017 at 12:17 PM, UncleJerm76 said:

never seen snow or witnessed the leaves changing

You take a jaunt up here to Maine and I'll "let" you run the big giant snowblower. ...

• Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-+1:

• Like 2

UncleJerm76

Honestly that looks like so much fun, surely you can’t get tired of shooting snow around???

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: You would be surprised...how boring it gets. 

You operate that thing at a snails pace... 

to date, my patience in the seat is only good for maybe half a shift, and I'm out.   :greetings-wavingyellow:

Edited by AMC RULES

UncleJerm76

Well that’s was short lived. Was going to give the old gal her first duty, move the old car to the other side of the yard. Started right up without any choke as it usually does, I ride it around to the car, hooked up the chain then it just died - out of gas! :bitch:

Filled her up then used the handy primer arm on my fuel pump that I learned about. But it wouldn’t start without the choke this time. Then it ran for about 10 seconds and died. I restarted several times - again, each time dieing after 10 seconds - even with the choke on! Carb seemed to be starving for fuel. 

Pulled the hood and gas was everywhere. I thought my gasket had already given up but it was clean and looked great. Pulled the fuel pump and it appears to now be leaking gas?/oil? Around the pivot that the long arm rides on. Possibly have a ruptured diaphragm as gas isn’t supposed to be on that part. Not too sure that part is even repairable?

2013732B-30D3-429E-9DE4-E5905BAC3C8F.jpeg

I really wanted to keep this fuel pump original but it’s fighting me tooth and nail. What do y’all think about replacing it with one of the newer vacuum pumps? I could make a plate to seal off the old fuel pump hole pretty easy, and they go for only about $6 where I live. They also wouldn’t leak fuel into the motor oil if the diaphragm ever ripped. Lots of pluses. Any other ideas to keep my original pump going?

Edited by UncleJerm76

UncleJerm76
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

There are rebuild kits available now and if that thing did rupture the diaphragm you'd better dump the engine oil .

http://www.then-now-auto.com/product-category/fuel-pump-kits/kohler-fuel-pump-kits/

Sarge

Thanks Sarge, can’t wait to get home and take my pump apart so I know which kit to order, you saved the day! Hard to tell if it’s gas from the diaphragm or oil splashed from the crankcase, but just to be safe I’ll dump the oil.

Edited by UncleJerm76

gwest_ca

Looks like the casting around that pin has been peened with a center punch to tighten up the pin to casting fit.

Garry

UncleJerm76

Yes from PO, and when that didn’t work he smothered it with jbweld. The jbweld started peeling off so I flaked rest of it off. That “peened pin” on mine is loose and rotates with the arm, but I don’t know if it is supposed too? 

Doesn’t look like rebuild kits address that part and If I knew it didn’t need to move I’d just MiG a small bead of weld over it and seal it up. ...If someone has one of these pumps already off there machine and can verify if that pin moves for me that would be great!

UncleJerm76

I have some work to do with the Misfit so I made a blank plate from some 1/8” laying around and capped off where the fuel pump went and just ran the gas line directly to the carb from the tank. Works great where I live, but this is temporary until I decide what to do about a fuel pump.

My tank sits higher than the carb so this should work unless I get really low on fuel. ...I have zero hills on my property (Florida) so that’s not an issue.

B3BB13EA-2BF3-4754-9CF0-1BB2E94D9358.jpeg

UncleJerm76

I'm trying to "properly" route new throttle and choke cables since the last ones were severely damaged by touching the muffler pipe. So I really want it to be right this time and not touch the muffler or drive pulley. Do any of you fine gents mind taking a close up photo of the side and front of your 701's engine so I can see how its supposed to be done?

I'd imagine I am also missing a throttle/choke cable clamp to keep these cables from flopping around? ...although I couldn't find anything in the part diagrams.

Pardon the long fuel line, the new fuel pump will be here next week but needed to do some work before it got here :) 

Here is what I am working with at the moment:

E96F2A3D-66D8-470A-8DE5-25A05FB5A885.jpeg

12E6022D-AF59-4D88-8A84-06383F22B4C3.jpeg

Edited by UncleJerm76

UncleJerm76

I moved on to replacing the boot and lift cable (thanks to @wheelhorseman for a great cable!). Now I’m wondering if I have the wrong transaxle or wrong hood stand assembly because the shift boot doesn’t line up with the hole at all and the lift cable does not have a straight shot and is rubbing heavily on the boot. 

How can I determine either of those are incorrect for a 701. Does the trans have an id anywhere on it?

3A9CE695-DD8F-46BE-B0C3-611E22EB182E.jpeg

888998C0-289A-4B32-A23E-B8FE1D27851B.jpeg

Edited by UncleJerm76

Zeek
On 10/27/2017 at 9:24 AM, Sarge said:

There are rebuild kits available now and if that thing did rupture the diaphragm you'd better dump the engine oil .

http://www.then-now-auto.com/product-category/fuel-pump-kits/kohler-fuel-pump-kits/

Sarge

I have used these kits as well. They worked great for me . . .  I wanted to keep the original pump.

UncleJerm76
14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I wanted to keep the original pump.

Are you in a position to verify for me if that pin on yours moves with the arm or not?

Zeek
On 11/3/2017 at 4:42 PM, UncleJerm76 said:

Are you in a position to verify for me if that pin on yours moves with the arm or not?

Mine does not have the primer lever.

• Like 1