Bttatro

Looking at a road trip to IN to pick this up for $250.00, anything I need to know before I buy?   It will be my first electric horse. 

Screenshot_2017_10_09_18_58_27.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Get there as soon as possible.

Let the owner know you are on the way.

Don't stop for lunch....you can eat on the way home.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
28 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Get there as soon as possible.

Let the owner know you are on the way.

Don't stop for lunch....you can eat on the way home.

And take a really long electric cord...:ychain:

Nice looking for $250!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

oldredrider

(Batteries not included)   :ROTF:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

oliver2-44

Buy Stock in a battery company.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

953 nut

:no:           Ed has it all wrong! Stay home, save your gas and time, email me the address and phone number and I will come up to look at it for you!                  :ychain:                    :hide:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Bttatro

Does this take a standard 12v Marine deep cycle battery?

953 nut

I think it takes three of them,  36 volts.

Bttatro

It takes 6 batteries, so 6 volts each? 

Where do you get your batteries and what is the cost? 

Edited by Bttatro

roadapples

@buckrancher has one. He'll know...

• Like 1

Racinbob
9 hours ago, Bttatro said:

Yes, 6 batteries, 6 volts each. I can't tell you the cost but they aren't cheap. The same batteries that most electric golf carts use. :)

• Like 1

Bttatro

I'm swring the batteries are 90-150+ each.  Anyone know if you could use 3 12 volt batteries? 

C-101plowerpower

i would think you can, same voltage and all. only difference i would guess is the amp hours, more batteries more/longer go

Bttatro

Well,  I have it home.   I'm hoping to resurrect the batteries by desulfation.  I want to do a full restoration,  and collect impliments for it.  I know this will be a slow process as it is my first and my bill fold isn't nearly as full as some.   Here are some pictures.   I have included the serial number plate in hopes someone can shed some light on the history of this machine. 

Cheers!

20171104_173636.jpg

20171104_173647.jpg

20171104_173744.jpg

20171104_173759.jpg

20171109_152141.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                 Those poor battery boxes sure do take a beating.

• Like 1

Bttatro

Yes,  the back panel on the rear box needs to be replaced entirely.   

On a side note I'm kind of thinking about painting it GE yellow on one half and wheel horse red on the other worth a half GE logo wheel horse logo in the round spot on the grill. 

FlirtationFarms
On 10/9/2017 at 9:13 PM, Bttatro said:

Tractor supply and like $39-$60

Kubotakid

I have 2 GE elec trac tractors Iam thinking about selling. I also have 2 mower decks, one snow blower, and one sweepster broom attachment.  Both work.

• Like 1

T-Mo
8 hours ago, Kubotakid said:

I have 2 GE elec trac tractors Iam thinking about selling. I also have 2 mower decks, one snow blower, and one sweepster broom attachment.  Both work.

contact info. Michigandirt1@aol.com

Post a for sale ad in our classified section.

Mikey the Monkey

The Trojan brand batteries that are in it are pushing $250 each

Goofey

you can also use 6 12volt batteries. 3 and 3 in 2 parallel 36v strings.

Lithium batteries from a accident electric car perhaps? You can also find the lithium cells new. Ask google for car electric conversion. 

Skipper

Old thread, but still I think your input is spot on.

4 hours ago, Goofey said:

you can also use 6 12volt batteries. 3 and 3 in 2 parallel 36v strings.

Lithium batteries from a accident electric car perhaps? You can also find the lithium cells new. Ask google for car electric conversion. 

A Tesla with a lift kit, mower deck, and some Ag tires essentially :D

I like your thinking! Why stick to normal when better is available. Nice!

And you are absolutely correct on the 6 x 12v batteries. You can easily couple them to put out 36v.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

No Bad idea, but few Words about LiFePo Technic...

I don‘t know your Skills on LiFePo, but i see in the past a few Horrible Installations they be lucky nothing happens until now.

I‘m working since several years with light and stronger LiFePo and LiFePoY Batteries and Battery banks in RV‘s

and have more as 20 years own experiences with different Li Po and Li Ion and LiFePo Batteries in Modelling Aircraft and Dronez and different Powersystems.

I build from 90Ah single up to 3800Ah Battery Banks in serial or in parallel and both, this is my knowledge I can spent,

But there are several half truths in the knowledge of some.

first of all LiFePo‘s they had a potential for a so called „Thermal runout“ and cannot be extinguished.

They will allway’s burned down controlled, that shall be known, if you charging it in the House or in a Barn.

A few Safety rules therefore shall be urgently recommended.

If you like to use it in Winter for Snowplow Action i.eg.

You should know the LiFePo batteries needs to be prewarmed above -5degC if it should Charged.

A LiFePo Charger with Temp Sensors is urgently recommended.

First of all a Pole fuse on each battery plus Terminal that restricts to max. CCA

is not only a good idea, it‘s urgently required.

LiFePo‘s are fantastic Powerstorage no doubt about, but they need a bit more care taken otherwise selfignition of the Cells can be happen, even while Charging. A LiFePo needs urgently a BMS.

The new Generation has mostly a BMS (Battery Management System) internal in the Battery integrated, that protects the Battery for Safety use.

But liFePo‘s react a bit like a Diva to Overcharge and Overdrop of Current.

( means the Current shall never exceed the max. CCA the battery can deliver.)

When LiFePo‘s are Empty, the shutoff without any Warning handled by BMS. (A thing you should know)

There are some Battery manufacturer, they offered Charging below -10deg without any problems from their Salesmen,

but i ain‘t agreed after some Tests we did ourself. Even in the Leaflets it‘s mostly very small printed „no Charging below -5 deg.“

Some of the new Battery‘s has their own pre warming capability, so the recharge in colder Temps is possible but will need a bit longer Time. If LiFePo are in their Working condition, they consumpt all Current up to their Specification without troubles.

Also LiFePo‘s like the Running in between, means not permanent fully charged or discharged.

This is their best working condition. As more they used, as better will be their Performance.

a 110Ah LiFePo give you close about double use time instead of Gel or Lead Acid.

Therefore i assume you planing a complete change if you plan to use LiFePo‘s.

Main Advantage was

light weight, more Ah/weight, huge Ah in compare to Gel or Lead Acid,

quick Charging capability, no sulfatation, huge Discharge Capabilities,

depending on Battery manufacturer a external safety BMS is sometimes required.

few batteries have unusable different sizes. Can work in different Angles ( not all Batts)

Main Disadvantage was

special Charging Equipment is needed, can not be Charged below -5degC except few Manufacturer,

Cost, 

• Like 2

Stormin

After reading all that, Stefan, I think I'll stick to petrol/diesel power.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

@Stormin

LiFePo‘s are not a bad energysource at all, they are also still mostly safe,

but there are some rules even safety rules, they should be known and not only in smallest letters on packing.

they be not more or less dangerous as fuel driven Engines if they run in proper conditions, 

but a bit of care must be taken, than they can be also a safe huge Energypack.

i still get sometimes goose skin, when i see what customer „built themself“ in their RV as  so called „Energy systems“.

Than they bring me that „horror things“ in Workshop  and i shall fixing their electric troubles.

mostly i have heared „the charger won‘t work“.

Things i see begins from self constructed cells with much too thin leads and ends up

with misused grounding clamps, where all positive wires are without any use of a fuse are collected.

wiregauges from 1 - 14 mixed all without fuses.

( just a simple Gel batt with 100Ah brings easily a shortcurrent of few hundret A)300-500A depending on Brand and season)

that is enough, to melt a wire in seconds or glow until next thing starts burning.

I can not remember, how often i have heared - man, it‘s „only“ 12 V, that is not much....

but the Current is allway‘s out of their mind, and this is mostly the fatal in the end.

Allready 12V and 200A is a nice Powersource to Weld thing simply and quick together, 

and blasting a sluggish 200A fuse can easily have a Peak with something over 2000A for a few msec. before the Fuse is finally blown.

I just wanna bring this in mind.

even a „weak“ 17 Ah tractor battery can simply result in burning wires.