Tyres

Hi  I want to make chains for the rear wheels on my 857, the tyre size is 8.50 x 12- 23 can you advise how many chains you would use across the tyre and how far down the tyre would you put the holding circular chain?

Thank you.

Ed Kennell

This is a set of 2 link bar chains on my 875.        There are 8 bar links that just span  the width of the 8.50X23X12 tire and 2 non bar links are on the side along with the U link to the side chain.    There are 10 total links in this chain.  You may be able to go with 8  total links, but you need the U link to be totally on the sidewall.

If you use an odd number of links, the one U link to the side chain must be installed up side down so there is no twist in the cross chain.

IMG_8470.JPG.2504454e0d6edf5ab0174c7eed32376b.JPGIMG_8471.JPG.bf828066b026a3f0db271ab552779174.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut
4 hours ago, 857 said:

I want to make chains for the rear wheels

Best bet would be to buy a pair of used chains. Flea markets and thrift stores often have them. If they are from a car and too long you can cut off the rest. The ones like in Ed's picture are the best for traction.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Best bet would be to buy a pair of used chains.... ... ... . If they are from a car and too long you can cut off the rest.

:text-yeahthat:

That's good advice there. 

• Thanks 1

Tankman

M.E. Miller has the chains.

Check their website. 

Thanks , I cant seem to find any at a price I can afford in the UK all about £100, I havnt seen any used ones for sale, I think they are in little demand  over here unlike in the US. 

I am looking at some chain today 10  yds of it  off a block and tackle, I will use 8mm quick links to make the joins, I hope it should be ok for little use. 

It looks Ed as if yours are about 10mm links.

Ed Kennell

I'm not sure what surface you plan to use the chains on, but a straight chain (block and tackle) will provide a much more aggressive pattern than a twisted chain that is  normally used for cross chains.   With the twisted chain, all links lay flatter to the tire and provide a smoother ride and wear better on a hard surface.   If the chain is only used on sod or dirt, wear and ride is probably not an issue.

How do you plan to attach the cross chains to the side chains,   Cut and reweld links or make bolting straps like on the rubber chains?

IMG_7307.JPG.a611be7812f68ca792e46bf3a90773a5.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Ed, important information for me, I was going to use 10mm diameter quick links as in photo, can you tell me the material that is used in your last photo for the cross strap I like that idea and what terrain is that type best for. 

P1030315.JPG

Ed Kennell

These rubber "chains" are factory made and the material has a cloth fiber cording imbedded in the rubber.   They work very well in snow especially on paved driveways as they do not scuff the pavement like a steel chain.    They probably are not as good as steel chains in soft or wet dirt.

I bought a flat belt and plan to cut straps from that when these straps wear out.

Anti-Scratch Traction Aid

• Like 1

Yes I want it mainly for snow, we don't get a lot but it will be handy to be prepared, I have looked on the web but cant find anything at the moment, not sure of the name of the material.

Thanks again Ed.

Sarge

You should be able to get a roll of the heavier twist link chain locally - that is the material for the cross links . The side chains are simple 2/0 pass link chain - should be available at any hardware store locally as well . The U-shaped connector links on the side are available from several tire chain suppliers - as well as the correct chain tool to open/close the links . Once you have the materials - it's not too hard to build a set from scratch but the cost is pretty close to a factory made set of chains . I'm surprised they aren't more readily available in the UK with the farming/garden industries there but maybe it's a lack of snow/ice like we can get here in the northern half of the country..?

As far as the rubber style of chains - those would be cheaper to build . Just start hunting around for rubber belting - rock quarries and and stone processing plants use miles of the stuff in varying thicknesses and that type of rubber belts for conveyors is extremely well made . Around here if you ask any of the construction companies or workers the stuff can be had for free most times - I have some partial rolls here from worn out belts from rock conveyors used in asphalt (bitumen) plants and I work as a Union Laborer around this stuff all the time . I run steel chains on my tractors year-round since they are used on hills and doing heavy ground work - I hate getting stuck and even run mine mowing with no damage to the turf ....

Sarge

• Like 2