a.dumont

Fuel Pump Location?

a.dumont

Repairing a 1973 Auto 18 with a Kohler twin. Previous owner installed both an aftermarket vacuum operated fuel pump at the engine, and an electric fuel pump below the tank...(why? Who knows.) First, does anyone know what type of pump was original to this engine? Where was it located? (Pictures appreciated.) Second, can an electric pump rated at 1-4 psi be used? (Don't want so much pressure that it unseats the needle in the carb and floods the engine.)

a.dumont

Found this description in the owner's manual. Nothing is in this location on my tractor...

Capture.PNG

Jerry77
40 minutes ago, a.dumont said:

can an electric pump rated at 1-4 psi be used?

I put one on my 16hp onan - 1.5 to 2.5 psi - mounted to the engine tin level with the bottom of the fuel tank....works great...Onan original pump was rated at 3 psi..:)

• Like 1

pacer

Best advice here is to go with electric - the one you have or another, in my ownership of 5 in the D family the original pump gave me fits. At present I have 3 D's and all have electric, my 180 has had an electric for some 20+ yrs. I also add them to any of the other models I get, its just not worth fooling around with those old vacuums

• Like 2

WHX??

The PO might have been trying to keep the original pump primed with the electric but as Pacer stated just lose the original unless trying to keep the tractor  original. Any low pressure electric will work fine without overfeeding.

BTW :WRS: Dumont. Always nice to have a fellow Wisconsinite on board!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@a.dumont :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

a.dumont

Would you guys suggest mounting it closer to the fuel tank or the engine?

roadapples

Fuel tank, they push easier than they pull..

• Like 3

JC 1965
7 hours ago, roadapples said:

Fuel tank, they push easier than they pull..

I agree, mount near the fuel tank.     :thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

a.dumont

Mounted pump near tank. Put the filter between the tank and pump. Ran 1/4" steel line from pump to engine. After some carb adjustments, got it running. Let it sit for an hour and returned to start it only to find it massively flooded.... My original concern was the pump would be too strong, and after putting a fuel pressure gauge in the line, verified it was pushing 10 psi! After checking my Amazon order, I realized that I clicked on the 5-7psi pump instead of the 2.5 to 4psi pump. (Still 3 psi over it's rating.) Before I swap them out again, is 2.5 to 4 psi the right pressure?

WHX??

Oops ...yah that pump might be a little  too much. .. no more than 3-4 psi. Should have them reasonable local. @953 nut still got those pumps handy that you use?

• Like 1

Jerry77
14 hours ago, a.dumont said:

only to find it massively flooded.

Did you check for gas in your oil after this flooding ? :twocents-02cents:

953 nut
22 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Oops ...yah that pump might be a little  too much. .. no more than 3-4 psi. Should have them reasonable local. @953 nut still got those pumps handy that you use?

Yes I do, here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-12V-Low-Pressure-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Diesel-Gas-Fuel-Oil-for-Universal-car/182455270871?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

2-Pcs-12V-Low-Pressure-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Diesel-Gas-Fuel-Oil-for-Universal-car

• Excellent 1

pacer

Yeah, those are the ones I use too - 8 or so, so far, theyre all over the bay with very reasonable prices up to --- well not so reasonable (which is why its always better to scroll thru lots of ads!)

• Like 1

a.dumont

Found out that several PSI models were available from the same supplier. I Just swapped it out with a 2.5 to 4 PSI one. Actual pressure was 2.5 so great! And yes, I changed the oil too!