Walhonding520

Sputter/ dies on incline

Walhonding520

520h is sputtering then dying on an incline or when I go forward from a stop quickly. Has more then half a tank of gas. Runs fine otherwise. Fuel pump new, filters New and hoses new. Any ideas?

woodchuckfarmer

Maybe you've got a little water in the gas tank.

953 nut

Did it do this before you replaced all the fuel system parts? Was that the reason for this servicing?

Walhonding520

I just replaced everything because it was old. I will drain tank and check filter in tank. If the screen was clogged wouldn’t it be a problem all the time other then just in an incline?

Jerry77
1 minute ago, Walhonding520 said:

If the screen was clogged wouldn’t it be a problem all the time other then just in an incline?

Yes...Your replaced the fuel pump with ? original style ? starving for gas for sure................?..sure sounds like the pump isn't working strong enough..how does it do with a full tank?

Walhonding520

It is better with a full tank but still not perfect. It’s not an OEM pump but it’s one that was recommended to me in here and it is same style. 

520hC-120

Does it idle fine and does it need a carb clean? The fuel may be in the pump and lines but the carb might not be letting it through, my C-120 did this and I did a full carb rebuild and it go's up any hill fine now

• Excellent 1

wfrpalm

Could be the float. 

520hC-120

:text-yeahthat: tap the carb with a wrench a couple times to free it up

Walhonding520

The carb in need of work but it has been working fine if I even it out with the choke. It is ok on flat or down hill. I’m starting to lean towards something in the tank or the float for the gauge.

i did notice the fuel cap seems to have cracked and fuel does come out. Any way this is causing a problem?

953 nut
2 hours ago, 520hC-120 said:

did a full carb rebuild and it go's up any hill fine now

Sounds like solid advice to me!    :text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

..sure sounds like the pump isn't working strong enough..how does it do with a full tank?

:text-yeahthat:                                           Will it back up a hill OK ?    The pump hast to work harder going forward.

Searcher60

Could be anything. Remove plug wires from coil.  Remove fuel hose from carb and insert into suitable container. Crank engine and see if pump fills container with gas. If not, find out why. Maybe install old pump and re-check. If container fills with gas, problem is elsewhere. I do not think it was smart to change working parts. Fix carb. 

Walhonding520

So I took the entire fuel system apart from tank to carb. Found a piece of rubber in tank shutoff. Not sure how it got there so I’m taking the tank off and giving it a good cleaning. I’m assuming this will cure my problem. Thanks for advice everyone.