Redwheel

Kv181

Redwheel

I have a commando v8 with the Kohler kv181s, I have found most prices to put it back to running, but I need to know what the coil was as it was external, part numbers , and any pictures anyone would have of how it was wired , I know a lot of people are replacing but I'd like to keep it original.  Thank you , 

953 nut

:WRS:   Any ignition coil with an internal resister will work. Here are some NAPA coils that will work.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=ignition%2Bcoil&isApplication=true&isInterchange=false&referer=herofitmentForm-newveh

This diagram should help.

59cae6ff0436c_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.bc27ce99ee16cc053cb9bad1f5a7b8a1.jpg

Edited by 953 nut

gwest_ca

What is the engine's spec number?

KV181S-37108B

KV181S-37116B

Garry

Redwheel

The spec number is 37108b 

Engine model kv181s

gwest_ca

This ignition system is treated like a magneto ignition.

This operator manual has a parts list. Click on the fuzzy picture.

Tractor wiring diagram

The 236826 breakerless coil is the same as one used on the K301 and Wheel Horse used may of those.

Garry

Redwheel

Thank you , these helped a lot 

Redwheel

Garry, do you know if head gaskets are the same between the k181 and the kv181, or do you have parts manual for the k181 so I can compare cause I'm rebuilding the kv181 , thank you in advance , Rob 

gwest_ca

It is certainly the same in many cases - maybe all.

The head gasket part number in the old file above is 230024 so go here.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/parts/230024/

You have to enter each newer part number as the site will not automatically take you there.

4104110 and the latest 4104110-S is on the same page.

Below that line is "More details". Click on that and at least a partial list of the engines that use the part show up. Have learned these lists are not complete.

Items that are priced should be available from any Kohler dealer.

Here is a link to the current head gasket

http://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/parts/41-041-10-s/

Noticed all the engines listed except one for a Gravely reference this Kohler parts list which we have.

Garry

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Mithral
      By Mithral
      So my Kohler CH18S had a coil problem.  One coil tested out bad.  So I replaced both coils while I have things apart, ... and now I have a coil grounding issue.

When the kill wire is connect to both coils, the engine will not start.
      If I remove both kill wires the engine will start, and will consequently stop when I reconnect the wires.
      If I remove one kill wire from either coil, the engine will start and run on one cylinder, until I reconnect the second kill wire and then the engine stops.
      If I disconnect the kill wire going to the wire harness, it makes no difference to the above.

It appears that the kill wire connected in series from one coil to the other coil is grounding out from coil to coil.

I have no idea why this might be.  Unless I simply got the wrong coils.

So I thought I would ask advice before I go rewiring myself a separate kill switch while I have everything opened up.   Or I guess I could fall back to just choking it to turn off.  Hmm....

• richm1386
      By richm1386
      Quick story and a couple of questions concerning replacing the ignition coil on my '89 416-8 with Onan P216 engine. 

So I got this old tractor from my Dad when he replaced it and it was running okay until a few weeks ago. Was picking up sticks and hauling them out to the wood pile when I idled down the tractor and then it stalled out (which happens all the time.) I tried starting again and it would not turn over. The starter would go and go but no ignition. I spent a lot of time on these forums and found some really good info including the service manual. I used that diagnose the problem and figured out the coil was bad. I ordered a new off brand coil and condenser from Amazon for $40 swapped them in last night and it fired almost immediately. Plus since I had taken the shroud off and disconnected the throttle cable it was idling well at very low throttle. I've still got to reassemble everything properly but it seems like the coil was the culprit.
      That said I've got a couple questions.

1. Anybody have any luck with non-Onan coils?The one I got from Amazon seems well made but it is literally some no name part. I figured for $40 it was worth a shot.

2. Does it matter which spark plug attaches to which plug on the coil? I forgot to take a photo before I disassembled. 

3. Could a failing coil cause very hard starts and stalling at low idle? I'm asking because as I said above the tractor has been very hard to start for years. Almost always needed to choke it. It would also stall out if you idled down nearly every time. Just the brief testing with the new coil that I've done, both of these issues seem much better. Also I used my Dad's replacement (early '90s 416-h with same engine) for this tractor while working on mine and it started and idled very easily. It looks like it might have a replacement coil as well. Just wondering. 

Thanks all.

• Gas Man
      By Gas Man
      I just bought my first Wheel Horse.  She's a c-175 Automatic. Sounds like I stumbled onto a Crappy example of a Kohler as it has a KT17 series 1. The previous owner said "She was running when I shut her off"  That was around 2010.  So she's been sitting for around 10 years. The fuels system is a total disaster!!  I drained what looked like dark maple syrup from the tank.  I'm thinking about buying an ultra-sonic cleaner from Habor Freight for the carb work.
      First - Won't crank
      It took a while just to get her to crank ,(I have a tendency to go through the butt hole to work on the tonsils) I checked all of the safety switches (PTO, Seat, Brake) and found them to be good, then found the ignition wire "OFF" the solenoid.  Plugged it in....Cranks great.  
      NEXT - No Spark
      I have power to the coil when the key is on. 
      I pulled the flywheel expecting to check the points...ahhh...none there.
      Found a series of very dirty magnets that I suspect make up the charging system.
      I cleaned the magnets and put the flywheel back on....No spark.
      Then my dog got out and I didn't get back to the shed.  Hoping to get back out there today.
    • IthacaJeff
      By IthacaJeff
      Hi all:
      It has been a while since I've posted here, as I've been over at the Garage Journal the past year getting help on my new garage. Need a place to work on the horses. Now that the garage is mostly done, I've pulled in the first of my projects, my Deutz Allis 1920 (rebadged Simplicity Sunstar). Okay, so not a WH, but the horses are the ones actually running!

The Kohler Magnum M20 lost spark in one cylinder, had to pull the engine to access the ignition module. An OEM Kohler is about $160, aftermarket no-names are $50-70.  A Stens replacement is about $115

Or, which of these three options?
      http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_52_584_02-s_ignition_coil.htm

What are your thoughts? Don't want to pay OEM prices!
    • flyovrcntry
      By flyovrcntry
      I have a generator with a tec 143-687012, the engine lost fire. I filed and gapped the points and still nothing.Theres  no kill switch so that's not a problem.I have found the points cond and coil on fleabay.
      I believe it is the coil,and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the points and cond can be elimenated