Firebug

D 200 rebuild kit

Firebug

I have a 74 d 200. I believe that is the k 532. Does anyone know where to source a rebuild kit for the motor. I'm looking for the master gasket set and probably rings. Don't know what else would come in the kit. I took the tractor to the local trade school for a full restoration, but I have to provide the parts. Not a big deal except I can't seem to locate the engine kit through the usual routes, e bay, local mower shop etc. any help is appreciated 

gwest_ca

Here is a Kohler parts list

An online parts list. If a part is priced it should still be available from Kohler. Original part numbers are also handy when searching for after-market parts.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/k532-53105-kohler-k532-engine-k-series-wheel-horse-20hp-14-9kw-specs-53100-53186

Garry

520hC-120

:text-yeahthat: good luck on your restoration those d-200's are awesome! I wish I had one

pacer

Bug,

As far as I know there is NO complete kit for the big 18 & 20 hp, I seem to remember running across a Gasket kit on the bay when I did my last rebuild (a bit pricy!). But as far as pistons/rods/etc there just aint any --- although with a little finagling/research you CAN replace your pistons/rings (dont know about valves, mine were good) - you'll have to cross your fingers if you need a rod!:no:Even so, my 482 had one that a rod bolt stripped out on reassembly so I started a close watch on the bay and after about 2 weeks a guy had a NOS rod he had bought years before for his Deere and just never got around to using it and listed it --- for the amazing price of $65!! needless to say I pounced on it.

The piston/rings from the single cyl K series engines will fit and there are dozens of those always on the bay - IIRC the K301 and the K321, with the K321 fitting the 532 (check me on this...)

My 20hp came to me blowing horrible smoke and I was dreading what the cause might be! But, strangely enough, the PO - I guess- had did a rebuild with doing a bore to .020 and whoever did the assembly "stacked" the rings, on both cyls!! - I replaced both pistons/rings - and NOT stacking the rings and touched up the valves and that thing runs like a dream!

My 18hp was beginning to puff a little smoke, so  decided before it got too bad to look into it before something came loose. Everything was in really good shape so I just decided to just do the piston/ring replacement again, and cleaned up the valves --- until I goofed and stripped that rod bolt I mentioned, boy did that give me a scare!! I used the 'cheapo' piston/rings and I now have some 20-30 hrs on them and both are doing fine

I only replaced head and exhaust gaskets on my 2 builds and that has also worked out good.

slufoot733

Don't know if you still need the kits for your 532 but if you do, try:    www.isavetractors.com

Never dealt with them myself but saw the advert in a magazine. They claim to have Kohler K series rebuild kits.

Desko

I found these on ebay and I think even for them rods thats nuts but they're ment for high rpm pullers lol 

IMG_2821.PNG

IMG_2822.PNG

Howie

I took a rod to a shop south of me and he cut the cap a thousands put back together and re-bored it to correct size. Wasn't real cheap but

did get the job done. Wasn't on one of these engines but principle is the same.

Sarge

Hmm, aluminum billet rods - lord help us you never should have showed me that...lol. Wonder just what I can squeeze out of that D-180....?

Sarge

Desko
15 hours ago, Sarge said:

Hmm, aluminum billet rods - lord help us you never should have showed me that...lol. Wonder just what I can squeeze out of that D-180....?

Sarge

Enough to see what that sunstrand hydro will take lol I always thought of putting a eaton 1100 out of a 5xi series being its shaft driven into a D series if at all possible. Or an 8 speed into a 1/1 drop box back to a right hand gear box to the pully. 

Sarge

Yeah - I've thought of that as well. Also considered using a rear axle unit out of another brand that's shaft driven and proven to handle the power of larger engines - but that's an incredible amount of fab work, although it would be a monster if it could be done.

Sarge

• Like 1

Desko

Like they say anything is possible with a good torch and a welder! Maybe one day if I find a beat D series I'll try and put an 8 speed into it