ztnoo

IDENTIFYING A STROKE

stevasaurus

You had me worried that something had happened to you Steve.  Thank You for that information...and at this point...that is all it is.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Don't scare me like that again Mate.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

Steve,

I'm OK. but...............the real point of all of this information is AWARENESS and recognizing the symptoms.

If you have a stroke, it may be the last thing that happens in this life to you, or it could leave you severely impaired for the rest of your life.

I had a Big Scare about four years ago.

I had problem with a tooth I had a crown on.

My dentist's daughter (who is a dentist, and an associate of her father) rebonded the crown, but warned because of the underlying root structure, it might not hold.

It lasted one week.

Returned to be examined by her dad (my dentist for 50 years).

He said the crown was a "no go" because there was nothing left to mount it to.

Advised root removal by facial surgeon.

Go to that office, first thing they do is check my BP.........it's 177/113.

I might die in their chair doing nothing.

I was an excellent candidate for a stroke.......at any time!

Took about 5 months of sorting through different meds and varying dosages to find what worked for me.

Last week, at my 6 month exam, my BP was 126/70.

I've been sleeping very well at night........

Pressure problems aren't likely to kill me, short term, now.

I could have died of a stroke with a snap of the fingers, but was very fortunate, having accidentally discovered the extremely high pressure problem because of problems with a tooth.

Ignorance is bliss.

But not the best course of action.

Pay attention and monitor your pressures, especially as a senior.

120/80, the recognized norm.

140/90, the threshold high. The warning ....."Houston, we have a problem".

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I think what I typed above came out wrong...a little.  I was saying "thank you" for that information.  I have a blood pressure machine and use it all the time to monitor my BP.  I run the high side of OK before I started taking the medication.  I run pretty much normal now.  I did not know about the S, T, R tests and found that very interesting.  Glad you are OK Steve.  I think I am really going to miss going to Scott's M&G this year...it sure leaves a hole in my agenda.  :think:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

tunahead72
29 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

...  I have a blood pressure machine and use it all the time to monitor my BP...

As long as we're on the subject, what kind of BP machine are you guys using, and do you recommend it?

ztnoo

I use a digital cuff I bought at a CVS pharmacy. It's battery powered. My wife also has the same model. Never had a problem with either.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/home-health-care/monitors/blood-pressure-monitors/cvs-health-premium-automatic-blood-pressure-monitor-prodid-1170285?skuId=800230

I would point out there may be some minor variations in readings between whatever you choose, and a pressure which may be noted at a medical professional's office.

Those differences are insignificant.

By using the same cuff at home consistently, you see and track trends, be they up or down or constant.

Its consistency within a reasonable margin of variation that you should be watching for.

If you suddenly get a huge swing up or down in BP, and it continues for some time, you probably should consult your physician.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I use an Omron BP checker. My cardiologist told me to do the following when checking your own BP with an automated machine such as the Omron.

Sit upright in a dining room chair with both feet flat on the floor

Sit at rest with your arms relaxed on the table at heart height for at least 2 minutes.

Take your pressure with your arms resting on the table.

Take your pressure three (3) times at 2 minute intervals. Blood vessels need time to return to their original size after being compressed.

Take an average of the three readings.

Do not take your blood pressure immediately after exercising or eating.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It is too late to answer all of this tonight.  Let me take a swipe at this tomorrow.  Before that happens, I would ask @rmaynard, Bob...if taking his blood pressure 3 times at 2 minutes intervals is really what he does and how often he would do that.  I take my BP pretty much at the same time maybe once or twice a week.  If I get a reading that is inconsistent, I will wait a little and take it again.  I agree with being relaxed and all of the above, but I have never taken it 3 times for an average.  I have to say that if I was compressing my veins 3 times a day with that thing going to 170 to 206 LBs, you could cut my arm off.  Pictures tomorrow of the unit I bought.  It is my 2nd one...middle of the road price.  Probably like the one we all have.  :think:

rmaynard

I take my BP several times a week. Same time of the day each time. The "average" method accounts for the inaccuracy of an inexpensive machine vs. the trained ear of a cardiologist.

• Like 1

dcrage

I have had need to monitor BP on several occasions the past couple of years. And I have always taken multiple readings (usually more than 3) and then reported the average. I pretty much follow the Bob Maynard directive as given above, other than I don't rest 2 minutes after sitting. If a person will do multiple readings per BP check they will see the variation that is present in this measurement. The MD's office is aware of this 'uncertainty' when they use single measurements. 

Bach-Ed

When I go into the doctor's office, the assistant takes my BP (among the other things) with in a moment of arriving.   That usually is shortly after climbing the stairs.  But my physician will take again near the end of the visit.  You might ask your health care provider to do that.  It sure seems to be more representative at that time. 

• Like 2

rmaynard
21 hours ago, Bach-Ed said:

... But my physician will take again near the end of the visit...

My cardiologist does not let his assistants or nurses take BP. He says that he only trusts his own measurement. Must have good reason.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I am so glad to have seen this thread.

My 2 cents.

I have had 5 strokes, one right after the other.   And another single stroke before that. Dont drink, dont smoke. Inherited high BP. The single stroke attack, maybe 15 years ago was the worst, contorted face, couldnt talk, couldnt raise an arm. Mumbled yelled to my wife, she sat me in a living room chair, called 911.as we waitied I mumbled,getme aspirin, she came in with aspirin, chewable, glass of water, I poured half on my chest, mouth wouldnt close. Off to the hospital. They kept me 4 days. Finally a team of doctors comes into the room, there letting me go home. The lead doc says Glenn, one question,  why did you take the aspirin, geez doc, its on all the tv commercials. He says because I got to the hospital in ths "GOLDEN HOUR" and did the aspirin, they were amazed, I was back 99 percent. Yes, he says, your the luckiest guy I know. 

7 years ago, another incident, heat stroke, super severe, wasnt drinking enough water. Well, I never recovered rully and it wasnt for a year and a half later. Went to every doctor, just NEVER felt right,  I was sent to columbia presbyterian in new york. It was more than heat stroke, it triggered 5 mini strokes. I have plenty of neurological damage, those of you that met me, dont know by looking at me.

I ALLWAYS have chewable baby aspirin on me, ALLWAYS, see my doctors every three months, take my BP home a couple times a week using the same meter Bob uses.

Keep hydrated, chewable aspirin, see doctor regularly. Watch your BP, the silent killer < my advice

My 2 cents, hope I didnt bore you fellas. Dont want to see anyone go through the stroke scenario, its no good.

Glenn

Edit: am about 30 pounds overweight, a late night food sneak eater. Lol  I know the blubber is no dam good.

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn