peanut437

RJ 58 serial number

peanut437

I have purchased what I believe is a RJ 58. Serial number behind the front wheel is gone but there is a C31 9 casted into where the transmission shifter is. Anyone able to tell me what year this one is. Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

The casting date for that transmission equates to March 31, 1959.  If the transmission is original to your horse you would have an RJ59.  :)

The letter is the month. the 31 is the date...the 9 is the year...1959.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ACman

We want some  :text-coolphotos: and :WRS: !!!  I was waiting for Steve to chime in :lol: .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I am assuming that you have an RJ.  Your horse has a straight front axle.  The brake band mount is vertical on the transmission.  That would be a Wheel Horse #5003 transmission.  :)  Of course we want pictures.

• Like 2

peanut437

Its a little rough around the edges but it has been sitting in a semi trailer for about 25 years or so. I do have a k91 kohler that is going on it once we get the tecumseh off it. Going to run down the belt gaurd for it but overall its an rj thst has a good hood and gas tank so I'm pretty happy.

20170923_093903.jpg

20170923_093257.jpg

20170923_141441.jpg

20170923_141429.jpg

20170923_141420.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

stevasaurus

Do not throw out that Tecumseh when you change it out.  I know some on this site would love to have that.  Nice 1959 RJ. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

peanut437

Thanks. We plan on saving the tecumseh. Its not froze up but going to see if we can get it running tonight. Probaly just stick it back. Never know when we might need it. Thanks again for all the help. 

• Like 1

Chris G

Very nice rj and curiosity has got me is that a 702 hiding behind the Massey?

peanut437

754. Our buddy ended up buying it. We probaly should have. Its in really good shape. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Chris G

I think I would have jumped on the 754 before the rj. Just my opinion

peanut437

Probaly should have jumped on it as well. We actualy own 8 simplicity/allis chalmers. But I have always loved the RJs and finally got a chance at one without breaking the bank. We do also own a 74 C-160 that my uncle bought new, but mainly just have the Simplicity line. 😊

20170425_170911.jpg

Edited by peanut437
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

It is said, they're all 58 RJ's 

regardless of the date on the trans. 

Either way, nice :wh: score there.   :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 1

Chris G

Hey I can't say I blame ya the rj's are a very cool tractor. And as for the Allis/ simplicity line. I've had my share of working those. My dad has always had atleast one kicking around. Now days he is using  early 70s Allis 312.  

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, peanut437 said:

little rough around the edges

:WRS:            Lots of us consider that to be "Perfect Patina", Looks like you got a good one.

• Like 2

peanut437

Trying to get all the kinks out of it tonight. Probaly give it a good cleaning tomorrow and put a little elbow grease to it and see what happens from there.

• Like 3

peanut437
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, Chris G said:

I think I would have jumped on the 754 before the rj. Just my opinion

Chris G.... we got to feeling guilty lol.... ended up doing some horse trading and we are now the proud owners of a 1964 Wheel Horse 754 :) So we are now the proud owners of 3 Horses instead of 2. Got it cleaned off a little and working on getting the carb lined out but the 161 seems to run pretty good so far.

754.jpg

Edited by peanut437
  • Like 3

Chris G

Sweet! Well if your garage ever gets to full let me know. Cause I'd love to have that one. LOL

• Like 1