98layinframe

whats the differences to the 520 tractors? help questions!

98layinframe

Hi, i have a couple questions if anyone would mind helping me out!  I have a 414-8 (i think its an 87) that I would like to swap a few things on to make it work and look a little better to me.  The first thing is the front axle... will a 520 swept front axle bolt right in?  Is the center pivot bolt the same diameter?  I know the outer knuckles are larger 1" on those machine but are they the same height?  I figured I could just sleeve the knuckle to keep my stock 3/4" 414 spindles if so  Also any info on this john deer 200 series swept front axle swap? anyone know if the pivot and knuckles are all the same diameters on that one?  and how much wider is it?  This one is actually looking to be an easier swap if the bushings are all the same size

Also whats differences on the 520 frames?  Are they longer or the exact same frame?  Brace for the transmission mount? and mainly just the front axle?

roadapples

520 axle is direct bolt on...

• Like 3

JAinVA

The 400 frame is the same as the 520.The only difference is that with the gear reduction steering on the 520 there is an extra pair of holes drilled in the frame rail where the lower portion of the steering shaft and gears are mounted.The axles are roughly the same height but if you bush the swept axle for the 400 spindles you need to keep in mind that the 520 swept axle has a needle bearing and washer setup at the bottom.The 520 axle is also wider,track wise than the 300/400 series so you will need longer tie rods as well.You can drop the 400 axle and the 520 will bolt right I place of it.

This swap is doable but not just a bolt on as you might hope.JMHO,Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cleat

If you get the entire setup from steering wheel to front wheels and swap everything then it really is a bolt in.

I added a gear reduction swept axle to one of my early 520's that did not come that way and it was a bolt in except for drilling 2 holes as mentioned above.

To complete the look and have the front and rear the same width, you could also add the larger 520 rear wheels.

Easiest and likely cheapest way to do all of this would be to find a complete 520 with serious problems that you could get cheap then swap all parts at your leisure from one machine to another.

You could bolt your old parts back on the 520 and re-sell it.

littleredrider

I converted mine to steering reduction,  didn't bother drilling the two extra holes. It's not putting any stress on it really,  so didn't bother.  Eventually I will lol...

• Like 1

98layinframe

thanks for the answers, I didnt know if there were any extra frame braces around the transmission area on the 520's or anything like that.  Anything wheel horse related is insanely expensive around my area is seems, so the chances of finding a cheap 520 complete is nearly impossible.  I already made a set of "520" like wheels out back by cutting up a set of 8" (or maybe it was 8.5" wide) wheels from a bolens or some tractor and pushing the centers towards the rear lip to work perfectly. sand blasted and a nice paint job, most would never know the difference.  Do I really need the steering components?  I was just mainly looking for a wider axle and the forward sweep to help keep the taller tires away from the deck more.  Long tierods is easy, I can make those and for the spindle ends I figured Id just use a simple set of 3" tall 3/4 to 1" brass bushing sleeves.

littleredrider

The swept front axle will go on without anything else. But need the longer tie rods.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PWL216
      By PWL216
      Looking for a good to very good condition hood. Thx
    • 22GO
      By 22GO
      1979 C 8 speed tranny model with 14 hp Kohler engine and plow attachment, Runs good but ignition switch doesn't work and have to jump start over solenoid. Right rear wheel hub lock bolt won't hold and hub slides in on axle. Not sure why, out of round hub axle hole? Still use it regularly though with hack fix. Plow blade is badly worn out along the knife edge.

• Truckedup1
      By Truckedup1
      I have a very recently restored 1989 wheel horse 520-HC tractor with 60” deck. Family owned for over 10 years but now it’s time for another project. Please contact me with any questions I have the original 60” deck but it was rough so I sourced the current deck off this site, it really is in excellent condition for not being restored.

• jleitschaft
      By jleitschaft
      Hello All,
            New to the group and looking for advice. My father was a devoted wheel horse enthusiast for many years. He only cut grass with a wheel horse tractor (rear discharge deck) pulling a Parker lawn sweeper. We have a lot of property and it took him a while but he was retired and loved being on the wheel horse. When he got sick, I had to take over all the lawn maintenance. All of our family lives close on the same road. At the time, I was responsible for maintaining 7 properties plus my fulltime job. Using the wheel horse was not an option for me so I bought a commercial zero turn mower.  Unfortunately, in 2017 my father passed away. I have all his tractors and it has been hard for me to think about what to do with them. He had 6 wheel horse tractors total. 3 tractors we used for cutting grass and 3 tractors are show pieces that have never cut a blade of grass. I have a few guys that have been asking me for years to sell them but I am not sure if I’m ready. I am turning to the group because I am lost at what I even have. Its my belief that the tractors are rare and the conditions are mint. If anyone would be willing to express their opinion and provide feedback I would be grateful.
      Wheel horse 420 LSE (shows 7.5 hr)
      Wheel horse 520 hydro (shows 92 hr)
      Wheel horse classic GT (shows 26 hr)     

• lodestonefarm
      By lodestonefarm
      Selling my trusty WH520H.  ~880 hours (currently used for moving snow when needed so hours may rise) very solid machine, strong and hardworking.  20HP Onan, hydro transmission and hydraulic lift.  Has Matt's foot-pedal conversion for forward/reverse.  Included in the sale is a tall-chute snow blower and 60" mowing deck.  The blower is in excellent condition and is on the tractor currently.  The mowing deck has been a workhorse over the years.  No holes but could use some TLC, probably needs new spindles at some point and could use a couple spots touched up with welder also does NOT have any pulley covers/protectors (see photo).  Tractor has been an incredible tool, very solid and dependable and I'm certainly going to miss her when she's gone.   

Recent maintenance: replaced the plugs this summer, fluids as needed (hydro has about 100 hours on fluid/filter; oil was done in the spring and has about 25 hours on it).  Battery is about 3 years old as are the tires, Terra Trac tires on the rear and turfs on the front.  The seat (with arm rests) isn't in great shape.  I've got a cover for the seat, never used.  It's never really bothered me but new seat cover is included in sale as are 4 hub caps, chains for the rear tires, and some misc spare parts (see photos).  

I've owed this machine about 8 year and put ~350 hours on her.  She's not a show piece but could be restored.  Sheet metal is generally in shape, no rust however the hood does have a couple dings in it.  

I'm only selling because I'm trying to help my son get a small lawn care business started and looking to move to a zero-turn.  The 60" deck is too large for our trailer, the mowing deck lacks pulley safety shields, and we'd like something that mows faster.  My only complaint with this machine is the top-speed (which isn't great when comparing to today's machines) otherwise she's a beast.  They don't make them like this anymore.