pacer

Another "what year/model is it?" 314-8 or 416-8

pacer

So I have been looking for a decent 48" deck to use on my D-160 and ran across a CL ad for what was said to be - a kinda sad looking - "314-8 " with what appeared to be a nice looking 48" deck, sez 'make offer'. After some back & forth I struck a deal with seller for $150. So I took off on the 3hr drive to pick it up and I get there and the hood has "416-8" decals!. I dont pay much attention to it - except for the deck and it alone was worth the 150, so load er up and head home.

Get up this morning, unload it and get my first real look at it and right away see the engine is a K321 and shows absolutely NO signs of being a replacement? - Was the hood changed and it is a 314-8 or? - now, this is the latest model WH I have ever had and I'm not familiar at all with them (I've had C's & D's) so my question is - what is it?

Oh, and from my looking it over I find its in amazingly original condition and seems to be in good condition under the dirt/rust - I think I just may have got me a nice tractor for the price of a nice deck.

IMG_3498.JPG.0e4984e324158dab4c1f843ad4ec5caf.JPG

IMG_3496.JPG.f5c2a02c8ab4fb0be846fb5fd5487fa7.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG.4861f0ed4e21aeeda26dbd365871fd28.JPG

• Like 8

WHX??

Yah deck & motor alone worth that:handgestures-thumbupright: nice score!  Hood looks like it doesn't quite fit right so maybe a hood swap? See if you can snag a pic of that sticker under the seat.

953 nut

:text-yeahthat: Looks like it could be a '86, last year of the "K" engines on the :wh: or , could be a '85. Hood was probably swapped out at some time. Is there a model number sticker under the seat?  You got a great buy there.

pacer

Good info fellas - might be an '86, the Kohlers S/N shows its an '86, but unfortunately theres NO tag under seat - or anywhere that I can find.

Found the probable 'no run' cause, first thing I always ck is for spark and she didnt have any. After some serious cleaning of connections & inspection I found the problem, the ole infamous glazed points. Pulled them out and cleaned em and got a good hot spark - next will be to get a fuel supply. Thats for tomorrow.... I've had enough for today.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ericj

the ID tag is in the center of the fender pan right behind the shifter, I can see it in the pictures. most of the ones from that era faded so bad that you can't read then anymore. good buy

eric j  

Wishin4a416

414-8 with a hood change?

Searcher60

Could you please count the head bolts on the Kohler? Thanks. 

littleredrider

Don't 300 series run smaller front tires? Looks like it has 8" rims.....

• Like 1

Searcher60

That looks to have a steering wheel and engine off a C-160. Look at the spacer under the steering wheel. Doesn't look originial. 16 hp Kohler's have 1 extra head bolt. Weren't replacement engines that color?

Edited by Searcher60

pacer

Have confirmed that it is a 1986 414-8 --- I now have it completely apart doing a refurb, rust/corrosion pretty bad, and have found it to be very original with little to no, changes -- except the hood which was at some point changed. With the hood change the steer wheel may also have been changed? (had a roll over??)

The model tag under the seat is blank - Ive found that those type decals? are pretty much worthless, the slightest thing will erase them

clem

The steering wheel is the same style as my 314a & 417a but they have 3 bars. Both of mine also have 8" front wheels, but they dont have dash lights like this one. I have a c161 with a replacement kohler that is dark green also. The stickers on both of mine are faded but I think the 417a is the first year (1984?)because it has no louvers in the hood. Whatever you have, it is money well spent!

Sarge

I think most of the replacement Kohlers were a dark blue - I have an Allis-Chalmers/Simplicity 916H here with a replacement K-341 - low hours too . Trying to decide if I want to put it in the old '74 C-160 or do an "upgrade" on the old 1277 when I do the frame rebuild for a broken (read - shattered) transmission mounting plate ...

I've always wondered why they thought those model/serial decals were a good idea back in the day - what a lousy spot and material ...!

Sarge

pacer

Like I said, I have it apart to refurb and it is (was?) undisturbed. I stripped the tin off the engine to ck for mice nests, rust, etc and found that it is undoubtedly original, and ITS tag is in very good condition showing it is from 1986. The wiring, with all the 'safety' features in it undisturbed, was not salvageable, corrosion was toooo much, so I will rip all that out and go back with the basic wiring. Only thing Ive found that has any significant wear is the front spindles, and I have found a complete axle/spindles on the bay for $35!! free ship!! - I couldnt pass that up!

Sarge

Pretty lucky score on those parts - hope the rest of it goes that well . Makes you wonder why previous owners spent so much money on something to just neglect and ruin it - never have figured out why some do that .

Sarge