fmowry

New guy looking at 314-8

fmowry

Hell everyone.  I signed up to the forum to get some opinions on a local 314-8 for sale. Based on the SSN it appears to be a 1996.   Clean tractor with a 42" deck.  The spindles have been replaced recently and it has new tie rod ends, new PTO belt. Pics look good for me.  Also included is a snowplow and wheel weights.  I am going to check it out tonight to see how it runs.  Originally I was going to simply get a replacement for my tiny 28 inch riding Toro which I think snapped a rod (spins freely but no compression after hearing a big bang)  but then I got to thinking about dealing with the rare snow here and getting something larger to handle my .75 acre lawn.    I have a long driveway and so does my neighbor and we were talking about getting a walk behind snow blower.  Seems like I could kill two birds with one stone.  At firs the Wheel Horse seemed like overkill but I did a Chevy V8 swap in a Miata so I'm OK with overkill.   Also I like to aerate because most of my lawn is zoysia so I'd be dragging a weighted tow-behind aerator and dethatcher occasionally.

A couple notes.  It'll need new blades.  It has 9XX hours on it.  Might need a tube in one front and one rear tire but that doesn't seem like a big problem.  Slow leaks and I could always just fill them once in a while with the compressor til I replace them.  The guy bought it from a local Maryland county gov't who used it to mow a local park.  The guy seems somewhat knowledgeable and says he's done basic maintenance since he bought it a year ago but doesn't use it enough to justify keeping it.  Wants to get rid of it because he has a much smaller yard.  Asking price of $500 seems like a steal.  Anything I should look for in particular when I go see it?

Thanks,
Frank

953 nut
4 minutes ago, fmowry said:

$500 seems like a steal.

:WRS:

That sounds like a wonderful price for the package. They are a very simple machine, no hidden issues to speak of, if it runs well and drives weel go with the full asking price, if you don't other will.

fmowry
Just now, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

That sounds like a wonderful price for the package. They are a very simple machine, no hidden issues to speak of, if it runs well and drives weel go with the full asking price, if you don't other will.

That's what I thought from reading similar posts here. The pics are certainly better than many I have seen that have gone for a higher price or are for sale in other parts of the country.  Appreciate the quick response.  I plan to go see it tonight.

Anyone know if with the deck off, it fits between the wheel wells on a the bed of a 2001 S-10?  :think::) I

I'll take a tape measure but would have to go get the pickup tomorrow.

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the  :rs:   If it runs, drives, and mows as it should,   $500 is a bargain.

ericj

I've seen that one on c/l, looks good. a 42" deck will measure over 44" total overall length. take the deck off to fit in the truck. only takes a couple of minutes to pop off the deck, and no tools needed to get it off. Big_Red_Fred from on here was going to but that till he got some unexpected medical bills for his kids. good luck

eric j

fmowry
17 minutes ago, ericj said:

I've seen that one on c/l, looks good. a 42" deck will measure over 44" total overall length. take the deck off to fit in the truck. only takes a couple of minutes to pop off the deck, and no tools needed to get it off. Big_Red_Fred from on here was going to but that till he got some unexpected medical bills for his kids. good luck

eric j

Don't know how I missed that thread.  Just read it.  Yep, that's the one.  Heading over tonight.  I could probably fab up some cover til an original shows up.  Appreciate the info everyone.

953 nut
4 hours ago, fmowry said:

Anyone know if with the deck off, it fits between the wheel wells on a the bed of a 2001 S-10?

I'm sure it will. This brochure will give you all the dimensions.

1995 Brochure reduce.pdf

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

"Manic-Mechanic"

I would check the lighted series of system checks on the left of the dash, make sure that they light up when you press the bottom button. The parking brake light won't light unless the brake is on. I had some electrical issues with mine, however, it is a 1990, and it was in the fuse holder.......Everything works then I agree 500 is a good price. You'll need a set of chains for the push blade in deeper snow.

314-8 electrical 1.gif

100_0547.JPG

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 1

fmowry

I saw it, it ran great, and the guy gave me a couple beers while we were going over it.  Sold!  I'll be picking it up this Sunday!

Thanks again everyone.   I'm sure I'll have more questions once I am in possession.    The owner actually printed out the owners manual and any other documents he found online and had a nice binder to go with it.

Here's the ad:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/d/toro-wheelhorsedeck-garden/6254678018.html

Edited by fmowry
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pollack Pete

NICE.......I've paid a lot more for a lot worse.Pics depict it to be in great shape.Even has shiny paint.I have a 314-8 that I occasionally mow with.Great tractor.Have fun with your new toy.Be forwarned.......this is the beginning of an addiction.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Looks like a good one.  I see the deck height adjuster lever has been removed.  I would ask him if he has the lever and spring. 

fmowry
11 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Looks like a good one.  I see the deck height adjuster lever has been removed.  I would ask him if he has the lever and spring. 

You mean this?  Or the dial-adjust.

wh.PNG

lever.PNG

Ed Kennell

No, on the deck itself.     The two rear wheels are normally used to adjust the deck height.    The lever and spring on your deck has been remover and the height is locked with a bolt.01717_b8TEyEqiK7K_600x450.jpg

fmowry

Gotcha.  Thanks.  That pictures worth a thousand words.  Can't find  a part number.  That appears to adjust tilt front to back, correct?

Ed Kennell

Actually, if the threaded rod at the center rear of the deck is adjusted properly, the rear wheel height adjuster should adjust the entire deck...front and rear by the same amount.

Here is a pic of the lever and spring.

IMG_8309.JPG.7bd87b5a08c2aa17d52025e36f73e2af.JPG

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
13 hours ago, fmowry said:

I saw it, it ran great, and the guy gave me a couple beers while we were going over it.  Sold!  I'll be picking it up this Sunday!

Thanks again everyone.   I'm sure I'll have more questions once I am in possession.    The owner actually printed out the owners manual and any other documents he found online and had a nice binder to go with it.

Here's the ad:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/d/toro-wheelhorsedeck-garden/6254678018.html

I see from the picture there a few lights out on the console, You'll have fun working on those! Nice looking tractor, well worth it without the snow blade & deck!

woodchuckfarmer

You better jump on that before someone beats you to it. A steal for $500 bucks.                  Wayne

dells68

Horse thieves have been known to be shot in some states!:ph34r:  Better be quick and cover your tracks!

• Haha 2

fmowry
10 hours ago, Oldman said:

I see from the picture there a few lights out on the console, You'll have fun working on those! Nice looking tractor, well worth it without the snow blade & deck!

Im pretty strong with electrical stuff.  My wife has a Mini Cooper!

The owner is out of town til Sunday when I pick it up.  We shook on it over beers.  

Looks like I could fab up that lever. I have some valve springs from a couple car heads that might work or I'll find something at Ace or Lowes. 

• Excellent 3

chip61

Nice looking machine! I have a low hour 96-it's a great tractor.  I think I have an adjustment lever for the deck if you want it.

"Manic-Mechanic"

All and all ,it's a great first tractor. The best of both worlds, really. The "classic" wheel horse 8 speed and horizontal engine & pto, with the latest metal and decals.......

fmowry
12 hours ago, chip61 said:

Nice looking machine! I have a low hour 96-it's a great tractor.  I think I have an adjustment lever for the deck if you want it.

I'll hit you up after I pick it up.  Gotta do a bit of shopping.  Blades for one.  I saw a used PTO cover on ebay for $85.  It's steep but I sorta want to get everything just right.

The guy has two plow A-frames but only one with plow.  Is there any market for an A-frame without a plow.  Guess I can list it on the classifieds and see.

fmowry

Just a heads up I am now the new owner of the 314-8.  Picked it up along with the snow plow, spare plow A-frame, and wheel weights.  I haven't had a chance to mess around yet as I have some  cars to work on but, it'll be getting new fluids and I've ordered blades so once those come in I'll throw them on and give the lawn a mow.  Not much else to add.  I've been reading previous posts as most of my questions have assuredly already been answered 100 times over.  I feel a bit stupid for linking to the CL ad as I usually pay attention to forum TOS whenever I sign up.   I never really thought I'd be this hyped about a tractor/mower, but now I'm hooked.

Now you guys got me scouring ebay and CL for parts/attachments!  Damn you, wheelhorseforum! :bitch:

Edited by fmowry
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

The dreaded WHA (wheel horse addiction)  adds another victim.   :scared-ghostface:  :scared-eek::scared-yipes:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1