ebinmaine

Air compressor questions, advice?

Sarge

We run the air system regulated to 110psi max . When setting up the full chord of horns (they are indeed off Trains , he has railroad friends) we tested them at the shop's 150psi line pressure . No one could hear for the rest of that afternoon - they are indeed deafening . Hitting Western Avenue in Chicago at 7am with those things certainly gets the neighborhood awake and they all come out in droves - the kids love it . The organization to pull this thing off every year is amazing - it takes an army of volunteers just to block off the side streets as the tiers move through the city - looks like total chaos but it is a well tuned event . I've seen well over 30k of them show up in weather below zero at the kickoff time , and even when it's snowing they show up from all over the country . The USMC Reserve does such an amazing job at getting this to work it really tugs at your heart - the bikers have no problem helping out either and have a great time doing it , despite the bitter cold and fighting their bikes that aren't built to run in this weather .

I haven't attended in quite a few years since I got hurt - my legs just can't stand the cold that well anymore and it's quite a job getting the thing up there and doing all the prep work for the parade . I do miss it , though...

Sarge

squonk

Here's how I keep water out of my tools. Take off goes up in a riser and back down:

59c6b3130ad3b_plugairlines008.JPG.74bfd3b18f1346a391b97895be394417.JPG

Out let goes out on the side and then up:

59c6b345cddcd_plugairlines009.JPG.de527ad0b6a3a4bd300a407f45cba3a3.JPG

Drain on the bottom:

59c6b372bc0f3_plugairlines010.JPG.b098b2d15106119b20f090e8c9199204.JPG

:banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Sarge

Basically , the same way I set my drops up in the shop - amazing how much water they can collect . I'm tempted to hook up a hose to all of them and route it outside to I don't have to use a can to drain them as I don't want that water in the shop near any machinery . I've had some bad rust issues in the past since everything is in a basement so all the machinery is basically very well oiled down - especially the old Enco lathe .

Sarge

ebinmaine

@Sarge, @squonk and those following...  I'm finally getting around to posting pics of this little compressor project.

The first piece of the air supply part is going to be this unit, taken apart and re-mounted on my own air tank. (tank in pics is junk)

It'll be enough to get me by for now... I'm still checking CL occasionally for other rebuildables.

Question:

Can I find the RPM rating of the compressor?

The motor is a replacement and I want to see if it's spinning the right speed??

20171025_172030.jpg.2f15ae0eab0ca438544bae20762d2abe.jpg20171025_172054.jpg.2bff97d2828b1f118f9b88701ba1e54d.jpg20171025_172112.jpg.d9833a0f351bc5d7fedfd61f7b7ab89c.jpg

Sarge

Most of those old twin cylinder Sears units were low rpm pumps - you may  be able to look up the pump identification off the original numbers for the complete unit in Sears' Parts search . Use the part number off the main tag

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/106171940/0247/0703000.html

Sometimes they had listed a more detailed parts description , such as the pulley sizes - not the case on these . You could try to inquire about original or replacement motor rpm and use a rpm calculator based off belt contact to figure out what the pump originally ran at in relation to the motor - don't run it any higher as it can fly apart or foam the oil . I see from blowing up a photo of the replacement motor available it's a 3450rpm unit , 3hp / single phase .

Now , the real question you have to ask is it running the original motor pulley ? Looks like a 5/8" shaft size on the new motor available , but does your unit have the original motor pulley ? Parts drawing show that pulley NLA , too bad as sometimes through their chat you can get a tech to look up parts and their specs - such as the pulley size . But - there is another way via Google and other parts sites -

https://aircompressorpartsonline.com/106-craftsman-air-compressor-parts-106171941-sears-craftsman-p-49837.html

Clicking the link for reference item 00056 in their parts list brings up another link for choosing generic pulleys in different diameters and shaft sizes for the original J-6 poly belt style - you'll have to use the rpm calculator to figure out which one is needed to get the pump to the right rpm . It takes a fair bit of research to get to the answer and you can't always count on info on the 'net - but it can give you an idea of where to start . Keep in mind that certain models may have only been sold to certain regions and stuff gets moved around - so the last digit could be different such as the one this site listed is a 141 vs 140 , or at least that's what I've been told by one of their techs . Sears has been very good about putting out info on their equipment from the past and keeping that info around for a long time - I can still buy new band saw tires for my old saw made in the early 60's with no problem , cheap at that too....

Some of those older units had a separate tag on the pump - that tag would be invaluable as you could search out it's numbers/ratings for more info and probably the specs on it , such as running rpm/rating . There were two basic designs of these portable compressors - the one you have is the lesser cfm model , sort of a lower price range model . The better one is around 16-18cfm and a lot of those show up on garage sales and such cheap - they were very well built and would last about as long as a WH...we run two gas models of those to provide the air volume for The Train and it's massive air horns in the Toys for Tots motorcycle parade in Chicago every year - which is this weekend , btw...

Anyhow - to stop rambling , I'd start with the rpm calculators out there and some good measurements with a fiberglass flexible tape measure on the current pulleys - if the motor/pump ones look original .

Sarge

• Like 1

JPWH

I have an all original compressor very similar to yours I can check the rpm on if that would help you.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

a separate tag on the pump - that tag would be invaluable as you could search out it's numbers/ratings for more info and probably the specs on it , such as running rpm/rating

Thanks for your reply Sarge... I'll check the pump to see if it has that tag.

4 minutes ago, JPWH said:

I have an all original compressor very similar to yours I can check the rpm on if that would help you.

Yes, please.

I'd appreciate that.

What I'm trying to do is make sure the pump is running at full RPM potential. As Sarge stated:

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Now , the real question you have to ask is it running the original motor pulley

I obviously have know way of knowing but I suspect this is a much newer pulley that the PO installed.

JPWH

It will be later this afternoon before I can check. I have 2 of these. One is like yours had a bad tank,  but all original motor and compressor the other is complete and works great. 

• Thanks 1

JPWH

@ebinmaine I hope this helps.

KIMG1125.jpg.29ef8afbe80d9192f676f41ce905156d.jpg

KIMG1121.jpg.50e34cd0703577608956c1f92e71e502.jpg

KIMG1120.jpg.6847e155f888f843d83d9d25084bbf79.jpg

KIMG1122.jpg.5965a11522200ec228fdef4fff8c2e81.jpg

KIMG1123.jpg.807b2bf400afb197af2d9604bc5595a4.jpg

KIMG1124.jpg.c928dc3738777ee4b71728c0fdffdc28.jpg

612 RPM at the compressor pulley.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

hope this helps.

Very much so!

:thanks:  for taking the time to do that!!

• Like 1

JPWH

No problem. If you need any more info just ask. I will help if I can.

Jay

• Like 1