rainesauctions

Mega 300+ Tractors to be sold at auction 9/16

oldredrider

I was a bit reluctant to go to the auction as I really don't NEED any more tractors and parts, but the wife insisted (gotta love her!). Only about 25 mins away so why not change it? 

As Jeff said, prices were all over the map, especially during the 1st half of the auction. Toward the end prices dropped dramatically and my buddy got a C-120 auto and a no name 12 auto for $150. Both had wheel weights and had not been molested at all. Pretty good deal I think. We'll see what he ends up with once we get them fired up. 

It was good to see some friends too like @dells68 and Emory who left very happy with there new aquistions.

Oh yeah, I didn't get anything!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Yes glad to heat at least of a couple of our guys here and scored ...looks to be a nice 857 you got @dells68 & thanks for taking  us along Billy.. @WVHillbilly520H Nice to see A-Z was there to keep at least parts or whatever in circulation.

Biggest question is who was doing all the bidding ... collectors unknown to us or just guys in the GT hobby?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

WVHillbilly520H

I did see and spoke to a couple guys with this past WHCC T-shirts on but they said they were there to spectate vs buy, IDK, and I believe, some were there thinking they'd get it for a small and sell it large, I had a half dozen in my sights but not my threshold of $ pain.

• Like 1

dells68

Prices were steals up to the ridiculous.  Emory got a lawn ranger with a decent paint job - a little dough was used to straighten the hood though.  Lot of people thought I overpaid and I did too (for the Emory  it was worth it).  I didn't notice the engine up there - sat a little too far back.  Upon closer inspection it is a Kohler k91!  Cleaned the carb and she took right off!  Fogged all of the mosquitos for a while though.  Runs pretty good, but is throwing some oil from the crank seal.  I think some rings, new gaskets and seals and it would be a great motor.  Talked him into a predator for now - I'd like to see him save the Kohler for a suburban project down the road!  Too nice of a motor to put on a mid 60s ranger.  Now I feel a lot better about the price I paid!  Below is a picture of him on it after I got it running.  I've cleaned the 857 tank and ordered a rebuild kit for the carb.  Paint is too nice to repaint.  Thinking I'll just scuff it and shoot with some clear for a patina look.

IMG_5738.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

oldredrider

Obviously, you made Emory a very happy young man! 

The K91 is worth what you paid for the tractor. I know a guy who can fix it up for you....:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:greetings-clapyellow:Man, that Emory...          

sure is amassing a nice :wh: collection. 

• Like 2

dells68

I don't know where he gets it from:icecream:.  He has 2 suburbans that run, 2 lawn rangers that run, and another lawn ranger project waiting.  This is a lot better addiction than a lot of the stuff our kids could get hook on.  Heck, who knows, he may be the next AMC Rules:ROTF:.   Wait, I've got to put a stop to this right now:ychain:!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ztnoo
On 9/16/2017 at 5:59 PM, dells68 said:

A-Z was there and picked up several to take back to PA.

By the looks of Lincoln's (A-Z) newly posted pic this morning, he hauled lot of iron and steel back to PA!

WOW!

• Like 2

953 nut
30 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

By the looks of Lincoln's (A-Z) newly posted pic this morning, he hauled lot of iron and steel back to PA!

WOW!

Lincoln knows how to load a trailer, that's for sure!

Load from VA

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

I see the 520 is in the truck bed, and I believe the green one is a 332, and I wondered who brought that self propelled cherry picker :confusion-shrug:, Jeff.

WHX??

Nice to see him making an honest living getting all these tractors not to mention a good source for parts for the likes of us!

• Like 3

pfrederi
On 9/16/2017 at 8:47 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I think the whole problem on the on line site was there were not any pictures of the tower areas. I was interested in the Jim Dandy ( Economy ) tractors but I am scared to ask what they went for. There were too many mislabeled pictures JD's as :wh: etc and the 15 % premium helped with my decision not to go plus the new set of tires I had to put on the wife's car. I just hope the owner does not S can the tractors that did not sell. Hope he made out ok sale wise.

Was the 15% premium only for on line bidding or did it apply at the auction itself. SOme local ones have 10% hadn;t seen 15%. I do not go to auctions with "Buyers premium" any more.The auction house is getting it from both ends now.

• Sad 2

953 nut
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The auction house is getting it from both ends now.

Our local auction house gets 35% from the seller with a minimum fee of $ 3.50 so if it isn't going to sell for more than $ 10.00, don't bring it! They hardly ever have anything I'm interested in anyway. I think splitting the fee between buyer and seller probably generates higher sales prices, perhaps.    :confusion-confused:

CasualObserver
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I think splitting the fee between buyer and seller probably generates higher sales prices, perhaps.

Not in my world.... the auctioneer works for the seller, the seller pays the fee. If an auctioneer is going to charge me to spend my money with him... he gets none of it.

• Like 6

pfrederi
58 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

Not in my world.... the auctioneer works for the seller, the seller pays the fee. If an auctioneer is going to charge me to spend my money with him... he gets none of it.

That is how it used to be and why I won't play their new game.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

The way I read the auction rules was the 15 % applied to every purchase . I did not go so I can not comment on the actual event , but the so called on line catalog left out a lot of info so I did not place any bids. Around here auctioneers get 35 % and never have seen all buyers premium . I am glad that Lincoln got a load and I hope the seller made out okay , but the prices were tooooooooooooooo rich for my wallet.  

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

It was broken down to, 10% buyers fee + state sales tax was included in to make the final sale price,  so technically yes 15% Saturday.

Shuboxlover

If I lived closer (within an hour or so I would have bought probably 15-20 tractors)  I thought there were some steals there, but as other people have mentioned, there were some high prices as well. 

Here are a few of the notes I took while i was there.

The green painted D-160...Plastic wheel weights, 3 pt, no rear PTO...$245

D-160 Kohler...3 pt, no rear PTO, cast weights (not WH) electric winch on front, decent seat, tire chains...$380

John Deere 318 with deck....nice.....$800

John Deere 420 repowered...$900

520-H (had 520-8 hood)...$750

GT-14...3 pt, nice condition....$500

D-250 with really nice deck...$900

C-195...partial 3pt setup...$725

D-200...original K-532, 3pt, rear PTO, no turning brakes, deck, and it strangely enough had an electric PTO...$400 (SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THIS ONE):(

C-141 with sickle bar....had GT-14 decal on hood....cast wheel weights (not WH)....$900

D-160 with Kohler and Back hoe...backhoe was rough, but there....$2100

No tractors from the auctions ended up in Nebraska :( .....but the trip did have a happy ending.  In central Ohio I picked up a great running D-200 with rear 3pt 60" deck and 54" front blade, turning brakes, 3pt, rear PTO...but has a bad hydro pump.

I also picked up a 953 right north of Indianapolis.

So, it wasn't a complete waste.  Got to meet some really nice people, see some BEAUTIFUL country, and got to see a great collection of tractors :greetings-clappingyellow::auto-swerve::USA:

Edited by Shuboxlover
  • Like 3

WHX??

Good for you 'Boxlover...reading your well informed description of some of the tractors ther makes me wonder about the man who put this collection together?

elcamino/wheelhorse

It would be nice to learn about the gentleman who had the huge collection.  It appears he did not have a brand preference .

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, WHX12 said:

makes me wonder about the man who put this collection together?

More like a "hoard" than a "collection" to me if you had seen all the "stuff" piled and scattered about even though most of the property was under some sort of roof, and maybe I'm just too picky or just don't to fix and repair a lot things ,but most of what I seen was parts too me, and as for the cast weights on most of those were Case brand, Jeff.

953 nut
7 hours ago, Shuboxlover said:

picked up a 953 right north of Indianapolis

Is this the one that came up on our Classifieds last weekend? @oliver2-44 and I were both looking at that one and it was sold in a heartbeat, good buy!      :wwp:   when you start working on it.

Shuboxlover
16 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Is this the one that came up on our Classifieds last weekend?

Yup...:D...

I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet,  doesn't seem to have any compression.... maybe (hopefully)  just a stuck valve...idk.  I'll tear into it sooner or later. 

• Excellent 1