MAD MARK

Installing Predator 6.5 in 310-8 for cheap plow rig

MAD MARK

Bought this 310-8 for $100 came with a plow but no engine. Just want to put in the cheap HF $99 Predator 6.5hp. Searched on here and found that people have done this but I cant really find any information on what they needed to do to get it to work. Looks like about a 2" engine plate since the height of the PTOs are different and the mounting bolt locations are different. Besides that, any more tips or pointers?

Just making this into a cheap plow tractor, I saw the linkage below the 310-8 is not like below my 312-8. It does not have a chain lift and just a straight bar. I mounted the blade to my 312-8 and it worked fine. Guessing the bar is so I can push down on the blade if need be? Is this something included in the plow package I missed before? Any insight there?

Resized_20170807_180031.jpeg

Resized_20170807_175949.jpeg

• Like 1

JAinVA

I did a Predator 13 horse swap on a 41h a few months back.If you search     predator engines   it should show up.I layed out what was needed to swap the engine and posted some mounting photos as well.I know the 6 horse is a smaller package but the post might be worth a look.Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

MAD MARK

Ill look it up. Im sure the mounting points are different but will give me an idea. I printed up the 6.5 mount spec sheet and see it is way different. Thanks. 

ohiofarmer

I would not worry too much about the relative height of the respective output pulleys of the two engines. If you were to power a mule drive out front as well as a transmission to the rear it might be a different story.

You could always add an extra idler or conventional v pulley along the side of the tractor to manage the "flow" of the belt.  There are already holes drilled and threaded on the chassis that can be utilized for that purpose. When you figure that a ten HP motor will turn three  mower blades and a transmission, i would think that your little Predator will have enough to run the transmission to plow snow.

You have given me an idea. I already have a free 1056 roller with a good auto trans and the 212 I had laying around was added just as an experiment with no issues. I recently bought a C-141 that came with a free blade. Hmmmmm.

• Like 1

Lee1977

You need to raise the 212 up 2" as the Kohler shaft is up 6 1/4" and the 212 is up 4 1/4". Then you can use the same size diameter pulley and the standard size belt. The belt guard will require you to fab a steel mount to get the belt guard in the right position as the holes on the 212 will not be in the right location. Use the loop bracket to locate the front to back location of the out put shaft. This will let the belt guard do it's job and you won't have trouble changing gears.

If you mount the 212 on a 1/4" plate and use spacers to get the right height, you may be able to use the original engine mount holes in the frame, I haven't mounted a 212 so not sure about the back right hole.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

SPINJIM

The bar for mounting the plow lift will give you downward pressure if you want it.    But downward pressure can scar you blacktop driveway.   I switched to the chain link lift to avoid that problem.    But I also have another WH plow with the bar to move dirt with the downward pressure.  One for snow; one for dirt.

Jim

• Like 3

MAD MARK

After consideration of the recent tiller i bought to try to get it to work on this tractor as well as the plow, I went the road of straight plow duty.

1. Sheared a SS 1/4 plate for the realignment needed.

2. Made 1 3/4" spacers to raise the 212 predator 6.5 to the right height so I could use the stock belt and guard and all that.

3. Mounted engine and bought a 4" pulley from TSC that fit perfect. Uses stock belt no issue.

4. Pulled EVERYTHING electrical except the front light wiring in case I decide to make them work on down the road.

5. Deleted the choke cable since I will have to manually pull start this anyways.

6. Made the throttle cable work with the 212 motor.

7. Changed rear end fluid after making sure everything worked right and I could pull wheelies...

to come...

8. Maybe fill stock gas tank with concrete as added rear weight.

9. Getting new turf tires tomorrow for cheap, already have chains.

10. Enjoy.

Resized_20170824_170631.jpeg

Resized_20170824_170635.jpeg

Resized_20170826_165654.jpeg

Resized_20170826_165704.jpeg

Resized_20170826_165712.jpeg

Resized_20170826_165719.jpeg

Resized_20170826_165849.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Looking good!!!

JAinVA

Looking good!For the price these Predator engines are a great choice.You may run into the same issue I did when using a solid base plate.I had to make a hole to drain the oil out of the engine.Unlike a Kohler or Onan I could not find anything to extend the drain port to a remote location.If anyone knows about an affordable adapter sing out.

Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

cschannuth
On 8/27/2017 at 10:44 AM, JAinVA said:

Looking good!For the price these Predator engines are a great choice.You may run into the same issue I did when using a solid base plate.I had to make a hole to drain the oil out of the engine.Unlike a Kohler or Onan I could not find anything to extend the drain port to a remote location.If anyone knows about an affordable adapter sing out.

Luck,JAinVA

There's a lot of predator parts and performance options on eBay. I got this adapter on there for about $8. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322643967584

image.jpg.5eb385bf0b64dc2064c7959182da3eeb.jpg

On 8/27/2017 at 11:17 AM, cschannuth said:

There's a lot of predator parts and performance options on eBay. I got this adapter on there for about $8. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322643967584

image.jpg.5eb385bf0b64dc2064c7959182da3eeb.jpg

Looks like my link didn't work. It's called a 10mm x 1.25 Predator 212cc Engine Drain Plug Adapter. 

• Like 2

MAD MARK

Honestly didn't think about draining the oil. I notice this engine vibrates the frame more than my Kohler in my 312-8.

Overall good investment for slightly over $200. It's just as peppy as the 8hp Koehler. 

20170827_142606.jpg

20170827_142616.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

cschannuth

Looks good. I've been very impressed with the 212. It has lots of power and sips fuel. 

MAD MARK

Filled the gas tank with concrete. Now weighs 52# exactly. Cheap rear weight for $4.55.

20170906_170812.jpg

• Like 4

Wishin4a416

Looks good Mark!!   Should do the job for you. The xtra weight will definitely help.

• Like 1

Jim Demery

I have 633 WH with the 6.5 Predator motor and granted, it's a much smaller tractor but it has an abundance of power. I had to add 30 lbs of weight to the front to keep it planted on the ground. 

20170826_075040.jpg

20170722_184241.jpg

• Like 2