JayB

Hydro transmition

JayB

I have a hydrostatic tractor model and need to top off the trans fluid. What is the recommended type?  Thanks for any feedback

WHX??

Any idea what's in it now for fluid? Check the dipstick if it's red it might be some kind of ATF, brown might be some type of motor oil.  If not known or hard to tell it might be best to drain it all out and refill per the manual.. Most times due for an oil change anyway.

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 3

BOB ELLISON

I have 2  C160's and one has transmission fluid and the other has motor oil. I did drain my trans with motor and refilled it with mobile one. But the other one I did drain it and checked it and after a few tests it was trans fluid. 1st test is smell.

2nd test is feel , rub between fingers trans fluid is not as slippery as oil.

3rd test is looks. Wipe a few drops on white paper and smear it. Red or pinkish  is trans fluid. If it's newer oil or fluid it's a no brainer. 

It probably  could use a transmission oil change as WHX11 said . be safe and change it anyway. You shouldn't mix transmission oil and motor oil so be sure of what's in it before you add oil.

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 4

JayB

Thanks for your replies.  The fluid is red and presumed to be trans fluid.  Is there any particular brand, type or grade to use?  The manual I have does not specify.

BOB ELLISON

Almost any atf will work even the very cheap stuff. I used dexron3 as I think most guys use.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:          Any ATF on the market today will be equal to or superior to the ATF that was used four or five decades ago.

• Like 2

EricF

Be sure to look up in your tractor's manual for the correct type of fluid. (If you don't have the manual, check the manuals section here on Red Square -- it's probably available here!)

Just because there's ATF in it now doesn't mean it's supposed to have ATF. Some should use 10W30 motor oil per the manual. If you discover it has the wrong fluid, flushing is easy. Drain it and then refill with the correct fluid (cheapest you can find for this step), go mow or run it around for a while, then drain it again and refill with the correct fluid -- use the good stuff this time.

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

Are all 520's 1100 eatons ? I know Rookie ;-)

EricF

Correct, 520s have Eatons. Wheel Horse specifically states 10W30 motor oil in the Eaton units.

I'm not so well-versed in the older Sunstrand-equipped models.