TN Dave

Any suggestions re removing stuck mower blades?

TN Dave

Sarge:  Thank you for this advice.  I appreciate it.  

I think I need a better pneumatic parts supply.  The shop where I bought the 1/2" hose, 1/2" drive sockets, and 1/2" drive impact wrench didn't have 1/2" couplers or a conversion kit to convert the compressor's outflow from 1/4" to 1/2".  They only had a conversion kit for 1/4" to 3/8".

I hoped to be able to find a conversion kit for the compressor outflow, but so far, no luck.

I think I need to go to a professional shop to find the right components and make sure I have all the right stuff.  There are a few in the area.

In the meantime, I bought a breaker bar, which did the trick, but I'd really like to get the parts I need to make the impact wrench.  I'm just a glutton for punishment, I guess.

Thanks again.

Sarge

Check around for a more old school Auto parts store in the area - most of them will carry the better Milton air fittings and such and can have what you need if it's not in stock in a day , generally . The newer stores are a joke , more like trying to buy Auto parts at Wal-Mart....I hate how this trend is going and have pretty much stopped turning wrenches , thankfully . Most of the stores around here carry more "weekend warrior" junk that no one wants versus carrying real parts for cars/trucks/equipment - even the new huge Napa we just got is about worthless . Glad I don't work for a shop anymore - I'd be hunting a different career right quick .

Spend some time researching the common types/names of the air couplers/fittings so you know exactly what parts you need and their names - it helps a lot for those young idiots behind the counter that only know how to use a computer . Most old style descriptions don't work these days due to the morons that do the digital systems listings - they leave out the important specs to get the right parts so be aware of that .

Example - Plug . Male or female thread - it's the fitting that goes into the air tool and will be for a specific body style on the coupling , such as I/M (Industrial/Milton) , Automotive , type H/F/V....ect .

Coupling/coupler - quick attach fitting for the end of the hose - accepts the male end of the above plug . Various types will interchange , or are advertised as such - your results will vary , of course . I try to stick with I/M as they are most common , easiest to actually plug into and are least prone to breakage . The stub nosed Automotive type are a pain to get in straight and like to fight the operator when trying to plug in a tool . There are new easy plug versions for all types now as well as safety release versions - those of course cost 3x an average one . If any fittings are outside on an air line they should be brass or stainless - stay away from the cheaper Chinese brass fittings as they are known to break - bad alloy mix .

Good luck , ask questions if needed...

Sarge

TN Dave

Your comments are right on-target.  I won't mention the name of the two chain stores for tools I went to for this, but they were both pretty much useless in terms of advice and assistance.  Buyer beware for sure.  One of them sold me an inexpensive conversion kit that will convert the outflow valve at the tank from 1/4" to 3/8", but didn't have the conversion to 1/2" or the right coupler for 1/2".  

Thanks for the ideas in your note.  I will definitely check the nearby auto-parts stores.  I hadn't thought of that.

I also looked into local outfits that specialize in pneumatic tools for industrial uses and found one fairly close by.  I'm sure they know a lot more than the consumer chains.  I kind of expected them to say that they only sell to businesses, but they were nice and said that they will also sell to know-nothing-knuckleheads like me (my term, not theirs).  They said just to drop by their parts desk.  Just need to make time for that now.

Thanks again.  I appreciate your advice and assistance.

TN Dave

A visit to one auto parts store and a hardware store got me everything I need.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Sarge

Not a problem , glad you got it figured out . I just finally found a 3/8" T style 1/4"NPT plug to go into my 3/8" Snap On impact after all this time , performs as it should now instead of being so weak . Now I need to change the pump oil in the Speed Air and get the system cleaned of any moisture before the weather breaks this weekend so I can sand blast that stupid trailer . Finishing the small welding tasks today if I'm not called out for work , hope it doesn't rain again . Trying to get this stuff done before fall and finding a few days when the humidity is low enough to paint with low wind speeds around here is pretty tough . Meanwhile , the big D sits there in pieces yet too...ugh .

Sarge