allen9878

Ag Tires - What Size Can I go up to? (312-8)

allen9878

I have a 1985 Wheel Horse 312-8 and am going to be using it for mudding and other fun stuff. I want to put some ag tires on it, but am hoping any of you can chime in on good places to get them from, what size I can go up to without modifying the fender and such.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

-Bert

• Like 1

Achto

23x10.50-12 tires will go right on, there will be some side wall bulge because you rims are narrower. You can also go to a 26x12-12 but then I would suggest finding wider rims and you might have some fender clearance issues.

Check Miller tire http://www.millertire.com/categories/lawn-garden-tires/ or shop around for a price that suits you best.

BTW :WRS:

• Like 2

oliver2-44

You might look at some ATV 4 wheeler tires. They seem to run a little less expensive than AG tires

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:            23 X 12 ATV tires would be mu suggestion.

Interco Swamp Lite ATV Tire

• Like 3

littleredrider

Check out Interco's blem site. They have swampers and vampires I think for $40-50 each. Im debating on trying a set. Don't remember if they run small or not.....

• Like 1

allen9878

Great feedback!    I'm sure this is a dumb question, but if I buy 23x12x12 atv tires, what do I need to know/look for in a rim? Is there a name for the wheel horse 312-8 bolt pattern/size, and what would be the depth of the rim?  I assume I would either need 10.5x12 or 12x12 for dimensions...

Edited by allen9878
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

@allen9878 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

953 nut

Most garden tractors with 12" rims including :wh: use the same bolt pattern as ford cars, 4.5" bolt circle five lug.

• Like 1

littleredrider

Your gonna need a wide rim to flatten out an ATV tire. Only a couple horses have wide rims, 520s and 1800 series, possibly some others. But cub cadet, John Deere, and sure there are others that use wide rims that share the same bolt pattern. Also look at Jacobson and toro turf mowers, some have 10"'rims. I picked up a set at a junkyard for $40. 

• Like 2

Aldon

Pay attention to back spacing as well.

• Like 3

littleredrider

Ah the one thing I forgot to mention. I have a set of 8" wide that came off a cub, when mounted on mine they are real close to the tank/seat bracket, like 1/4"'or so away. The 10" wide ones are on now and they fit like a stock wheel. Adjusting the backspace isn't hard, can move the wheel hub in/pit but only so much. 

• Like 2

Achto

You can also use wheel spacers behind the rim if the off set brings the tire too close to the body.

• Like 4

pfrederi

Remember your 312-8 has an open differential..so when you are in the mud one wheel will spin the other not move.  I put a limited slip in my 310-8 as i got tired of not being able to go up icy hills.  Note both tires are the same size marked on the sidewall Sizes vary by brand,  The smaller ones are deestones the larger Carlisle

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

• Like 2