Bahmi

Growing Pains

Bahmi

I picked up my 312-8 today. It sat in a barn for some time. It ran scratchy, I think I can get it straightened out.

One other thing of note. Actually 2... The arm and button that raise and lower the mower deck don't seem to be working. I press the button, move the arm forward, but nothing happens. Is it possible the long sit rusted things up some? The deck does not go down, it stays in place. Is the shaft attached to the button rusted and immovable?  I seriously doubt anything is broken, per se.

One thing noted, the construction of the tractor is superlative. Tractor came with 400 hours, gonna be something to have fun with.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

iplimage.php?ir=YToyOntzOjk6ImltYWdlUGF0aCI7czo0NDoiZEc5eWJ5ODRNVEF6T0RaU01WeHBiV0ZuWlZ3ek9EWlNNVEF5Tmk1bmFXWT0iO3M6Nzoib3B0aW9ucyI7YToxOntzOjU6IndpZHRoIjtpOjEwMDA7fX0

:rolleyes:  The parts to raise, and lower your deck are shown here in this diagram. 

:WRS:

welcomewagon.gif.deee3b3175fa1a254ca04efd59b59aef.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.2264e766b2444989b2dc31cf72b9af43.png

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 5

953 nut

:WRS:             Try adjusting the depth limiter (# 40 in diagram), turn it counterclockwise and see if that will allow the deck to lower.

• Like 4

Bahmi
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:             Try adjusting the depth limiter (# 40 in diagram), turn it counterclockwise and see if that will allow the deck to lower.

When you push the button down on top of the adjusting shaft and move the arm forward, the deck does not move downward. The shaft has no weight on it, in other words. The lifting mechanism is detached from the deck, or so it feels.

Edited by Bahmi
lousy diction and syntax
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher
Spoiler

Bahmi    :WRS: You will find help here as you can see already. Just a note try taking pictures that always helps. Enjoy the site.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

You'll have to look underneath while someone moves the lift control arm.   See whether the lift levers are moving, and if they are connected to the deck with the trunnion and chain.  If the lift levers underneath are not moving, you could have a broken or missing key (#18 on diagram) on the shaft that operates the levers.   Also, make sure trunnion and chain are attacked to the correct (upper) lift lever.   Study the diagram from AMC Rules.     Good luck.

Jim

• Like 1

Bahmi
4 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

You'll have to look underneath while someone moves the lift control arm.   See whether the lift levers are moving, and if they are connected to the deck with the trunnion and chain.  If the lift levers underneath are not moving, you could have a broken or missing key (#18 on diagram) on the shaft that operates the levers.   Also, make sure trunnion and chain are attacked to the correct (upper) lift lever.   Study the diagram from AMC Rules.     Good luck.

Jim

I had a feeling the key(#18) was missing. It rained today so I could not go outside and do much, but I sneaked a half hour to grease the machine, blow off dust, a general clean up. As I rotated the adjusting arm downward, I reached in with my right hand and noticed a plate of sorts, possibly an arm with some holes in it. I get the feeling #21 is broken off or missing. The end fits into the arm with three holes in it, vertically speaking, and clearly this was not happening. I need to put the back wheels up on blocks and get a better look at the underbelly mechanism. Had I remembered this diagram, I would have realized the #21 pin was missing and the nose was not sticking through the hole drilled in part #19. Once through the hole, the pin is slid into the small hole and is thereby retained. Then, downward movement of the long arm will allow the mower lift pin to drop down.

Or so I think......

• Like 1