jsPond

Looking at a 1054

jsPond

Looking at a 1054 right now and so far, I like what I see.  I've heard that these tractors are great until you have to work on them.  I've heard that from a number of people.  So my question is, what is so difficult?  Are these good machines?  They seem to be the oddball of the bunch which I guess is why they appeal to me.  What horse power are they (I assume 10).  Would I be correct in assuming the regular Wheelhorse attachments would not work with this model?

1054.jpg

Edited by jsPond
  • Like 6

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice looking 1054 there...i let one slip through my hands a while back...and still regret it to this day. The 953/1054 have always appealed to me too. Maybe Richard @953 nut will be along shortly with some pointers on these machines.

• Like 5

953 nut
11 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

Maybe Richard @953 nut will be along shortly

I was looking at that one on :techie-ebay: myself, priced right but too far away to be enticing. The wheel weights are not :wh:, but worth half the asking price. Go get it.

54 minutes ago, jsPond said:

So my question is, what is so difficult?

Beats me, I guess the later models with a flip up hood are a bit easier to get to, but my 953 are so reliable that it is a non-issue!

54 minutes ago, jsPond said:

Would I be correct in assuming the regular Wheelhorse attachments would not work with this model?

If you bolt on an mid-mount you can use anything that will fit other :wh:.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 6

gregg'shorses

Seems like it is in good shape for the price. Remember don't ask the wife for permission:ROTF:

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Man, i just bought 953nut endorsed wire strippers, cant swing this week:D

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

well the short time I've owned my 953 the biggest pain in the neck are the tranny's with the bevel gears .....known to be a weak spot on mine my shifter is all screwed up, the dog point screw that holds in place and other factors that are worn out too so waiting for a machine shop to build up a new ball and donut ring but to take the gas tank out you have to drop the tranny too but its pretty straight forward

• Like 2

M i k e

Picked up a 1054a myself last year.  Love it.  It's like a mini dozer in 1st gear with a blade on.  The hardest thing to work on is the gas tank.  You have to drop the whole transmission to get it out.  Mine sat awhile outside, so had to derust it.  Only other issue with working on it is the difficulty/expense of finding origional parts like steering wheels and dash hardware etc.  Other than that, great machine.  Well worth the trouble.

• Like 2

pacer

From your picture it certainly looks to be nice - and original ! We can see the seat, head lights and probably the grille, and start/gen belt cover are still there:handgestures-thumbupright: There are usually at least some - or all - of these missing (they were on mine!)

Yeah the 1054/953 is pretty much in a class by themselves with some peculiarities (hah, I guess ALL of the horses have a few of those!)

• Like 3

jsPond

So is this a 10 HP tractor or what?  I always thought they were and the engine on this looks original.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

1054 is a 10hp thus the 10 in 1054.

I have one in pieces that I haven't got to yet . I don't know if I'll ever get started on it. so I might try to sell it. 

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin
6 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

1054 is a 10hp thus the 10 in 1054.

I have one in pieces that I haven't got to yet . I don't know if I'll ever get started on it. so I might try to sell it. 

I know what you mean there Bob trying not to do that with mine dam between house expenses and other stupid stuff its hard but only do it as last resort

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

Its mine now , Bid 200, won, more horses

• Like 3

dells68

Wow!  Sounds like the deal I got on mine.  I paid $175 for it and a junker and the 953 had a busted trans!  I was thrilled.  You'll love it!

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

The pics will be posted Saturday evening

I'm excited, i have the 2 Black Hoods with Me, C125 & C165A

I told a RED LIE, 953nut's Approved wire strippers were 10 bucks, so i had the cash, Oh Lord forgive my Hobby ! At least its not collecting coins on Ebay right , Back me up 953 LOL

• Like 1

jsPond

Let this be a lesson.  Can't think about these things too long.  Life didn't allow me to move that quickly on this.  Congratulations!  I hope it's as good as it looks and serves you well for years to come.  I was leaning toward passing on it anyway.  Just no time to go pick it up.

• Like 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Oh Lord forgive my Hobby

I have read them over carefully and see no mention of buying a :wh: being a sin.

Related image

• Like 2

RedHorse54

I'd pick that thing up quick for the $250 he's asking.

Edited by RedHorse54
  • Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

RedHorse54, i got it for 200 even, you wanna ride along Saturday to Indiana Pa ?

953, thankyou, I'm A good Christian Working Man/ US ARMY SGT long gone retired, dont wanna make the commander in chief of life mad at me ;-)

• Like 1