Govlarry dale

How long is my rod

Govlarry dale

No sir nothing broke just wore out like me.. And i sure hope i didnt offend anyone. Is most certainly was not my intention and if i did i apologize 

• Like 2

Sarge

It takes a set of Vee blocks and a height measuring indicator - not a simple job to determine the stroke on a crankshaft . Find some local tractor pullers , especially Garden Class - those guys will know who can do the work correctly . Finding machine shops that are specific to Kohlers like Jimmies Machine in Peru, Illinois is a job in itself and will just take some research . Frankly , I stick with older machinists that have been doing this stuff since those engines were new - which is even harder . Sometimes local L&G shops will know someone that can do the work or if you have to bite the bullet at least it's a lighter small block and you can ship out just the short block portion to have it done - be sure to give them the oil pan with it for making sure they have the right dipper to fit that specific pan . If the engine sticker plate is missing it's even worse - they have to determine the series build or spec number of that block to get the right parts - WH has a list of spec numbers for the correct period engine that was originally on the tractor in the model list - it's in the manual section on this site . There are little subtle differences in these Kohlers specific to Wheel Horse specs so this part is important , otherwise nothing fits correctly and will drive a shop nuts . The research will probably be left up to you unless that is the original engine with the spec numbers still intact ...?

Sarge

• Like 2

Govlarry dale

Yes sir as far as i can tell the only thing thats been change was the electrical was upgraded and all engine tags are in tact 

rmaynard

Simple answer to your initial inquiry is that all K181 connecting rods are the same length, whether they are undersized or standard. The only difference is the bearing surfaces are built up on an undersized rod. From the center line of the piston pin to the center line of the crank pin is the same.

• Like 3

Govlarry dale

I will be leaving all measurements up to the machinist. That why they make the BIG bucks

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Love this post for all the best and worst reasons....

:wicked:

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON

@Govlarry dale you'll have to excuse all of us guys for taking advantage of your post. If you stick around  long enough and read the posts that others start you will see the child come out in all of us.

It's all good humor that makes me read here everyday. But you'll get the right answer to every question you have about these wonderful machines. The guys here try to guide every new 

Member in the right direction to keep these tractors running good. We have a deep passion for wheel horse's and you'll always get help here by the brightest and best. 

• Like 7

19richie66

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

TDF5G
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@Govlarry dale you'll have to excuse all of us guys for taking advantage of your post. If you stick around  long enough and read the posts that others start you will see the child come out in all of us.

It's all good humor that makes me read here everyday. But you'll get the right answer to every question you have about these wonderful machines. The guys here try to guide every new 

Member in the right direction to keep these tractors running good. We have a deep passion for wheel horse's and you'll always get help here by the brightest and best. 

:text-yeahthat:  

• Like 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Well said sir.

And very true.

• Like 1

Govlarry dale

The best payment, for anything, is knowledge, and i can tell there's a lot to be learned here and i wouldn't want to mess that up....great sight guys....thanks

• Like 9

Searcher60

No matter how long it is, is it ever long enough? 

jay bee
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Govlarry dale said:

So if anyone know of one around Kalamazoo Mi. Let me know....

I can recommend the Machine Shop at Ridge Auto Parts, a NAPA Store located at 250 East Centre Ave. in Portage MI. (269-327-4479).  They did all the machine work on my son's Kohler K-301 12HP and they seemed very knowledgeable about the Kohler Engines.  It runs like a top and we have had no issues with it at all.  If I were to have another engine done I would definitely take it there.  I hope this helps you.

Jim