Sign in to follow this  
GreenMntRanger

Another 418C question

GreenMntRanger

tying to figure out which M18 variant I have, but the printing on the tag is worn off. Would the model and spec be the same for all 418C as they were only made for a year? and if they are, can someone post a picture or the model and spec #?

gwest_ca

Click on the 2nd picture on this page. The engine numbers are on it but I think there is a typo and should be M18QS-24536. Forget how I figured that out.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/m18-24536-kohler-m18-engine-magnum-wheel-horse-18hp-13-4kw-specs-24500-24682/

Garry

Adding

This is where the engine numbers are listed

• Like 1

GreenMntRanger

The more I look into getting a new carb for my 418C the harder the choice becomes

LOL

gwest_ca

Kohler calls their carb with mounting gasket a "carb kit". The number off the carb mounting flange should show up for the M18 application.

Garry

• Like 2

GreenMntRanger

0hZzXG.jpg
7OoZo8.jpg

Here's the carb and here's the number. According to the guide above, it's and original Kohler adjustable carb. Now to find a rebuild kit or an appropriate aftermarket

Edited by GreenMntRanger
better pictures

pfrederi

The listed spec number on the D&A manual is not a valid Spec #.  There are only 2 Spec numbers for M18 that are used by WH.  24510 (on my 418A) and 24536 which I am guessing =was used on 418C.  They both used the same carb by the Kohler parts listing...which is NLA  52 853 30s  The old part number (also NLA) was 52 053 18.

There are a bunch of after market carb on ebay for +/-$30  saw one OEM for $300.   Search ebay with the old part ## If all you need is gaskets and float needle I think any big block K series will fit.

Sarge

If you search the net a bit , there are several vendors that will do a quality full overhaul on those Kohler carburetors - including a new throttle shaft , full bushings and Kohler rebuild parts/gaskets . It's worth the effort to do an overhaul and there are a ton of videos on how to properly ream one out to install bushings , new throttle shaft and cleaning . The Chinese carbs aren't bad and basically a dead on copy of the Kohler original , but it is unknown how well they will stand the test of time . I put one on my 16 Auto recently but will be ordering a kit and new throttle shaft to fix the original 1" bore Kohler carb and keep it as a spare - they are getting valuable due to their quality and so many being discontinued .

Sarge

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

If you search the net a bit , there are several vendors that will do a quality full overhaul on those Kohler carburetors - including a new throttle shaft , full bushings and Kohler rebuild parts/gaskets . It's worth the effort to do an overhaul and there are a ton of videos on how to properly ream one out to install bushings , new throttle shaft and cleaning . The Chinese carbs aren't bad and basically a dead on copy of the Kohler original , but it is unknown how well they will stand the test of time . I put one on my 16 Auto recently but will be ordering a kit and new throttle shaft to fix the original 1" bore Kohler carb and keep it as a spare - they are getting valuable due to their quality and so many being discontinued .

Sarge

At $30 replacing every few years isn't necessarily a bad option

Sarge

No , for the cost it isn't a bad option at all , but if it costs you a cast iron engine no longer made , well...

So far , it has worked ok . I'm not really impressed with the fuel curve response - engine doesn't seem happy unless it's running at wide open governed limit under a load . This old 16 has always had a hunting governor no matter how it's set with the springs and such , I need to also order up a whole set of new springs and maybe the governor arm as well if they are available . It's probably down to aftermarket parts or something internally - it's been rebuilt at one time and punched to .030" over stock with an obviously aftermarket piston . The power is good , but it's fuel response in different spots is pretty bad , which is the carb's fault . Been down that road with Chinese knockoffs before when I worked on Weber carbs - their copies will never tune properly no matter how you adjust them .

Sarge

GreenMntRanger
On 7/24/2017 at 9:14 AM, Sarge said:

Sarge

Sarge, I did a search, couldn't find any vendors. Possible you can point me in the right direction?

Sarge

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1miller.htm

http://www.themowershop.com/services/

http://www.precisionsmallengines.net/parts-and-service/

Many times your local machine shops that are well versed in rebuilding small engines will also do a full overhaul on carburetors , including reaming the throttle shaft hole and installing a bronze/brass bushing along with a new dust seal . Boring out those holes correctly on a drill press is nearly impossible , using a milling machine and a proper reamer will make a nice , leak-free tight fit and last much longer . I've gone through the expense to buy piloted engine valve finishing reamers that hold very high tolerances and use a ball universal to allow it to align itself properly - those reamers cost almost $50 for each size and some of the larger ones I have are over $100 each .

Sarge