Alan R.

HALF a HORSE.

Alan R.

After discarding the chain drive the top sprocket was drilled and tapped 4 BA and an alloy bar bolted to it.  This bar was drilled with extra holes for the push / pull rods so that various positions could be tried.  The same was done with the bottom sprocket.   The threaded rods are M6.  These will be changed to round bar later and a better top bar made.  All a temporary try out for now.

IMG_7645.JPG.d352814723f0f21dc6e6edc2624a8e44.JPGIMG_7738.JPG.43326ce77aabd604f05a9f97331883d7.JPGIMG_7741.JPG.b89c7d311fe1fbd581d9513b1c2e85ed.JPG

Although this arrangement was better than the chain, there was still a lot of free play.  A lot of this was from the various universal joints and male / female connections between the bottom sprocket and the front wheels.  Better fitting U/J centers  were made and various Male F/M, joints drilled and tapped for grub screws which tightened things up but still not enough.  The gap between the pin and it's through hole can be seen below.  The cavity for the small coil spring didn't help either as a lot of the bearing surface was lost.  This was not used in the replacement centers.  Probably cheap U/J's found at my usual parts supply location. :rolleyes:

IMG_7619.JPG.93bd5e10768cfd8e65726b434404c200.JPGIMG_7621.JPG.11e8600b4000b790bae506f53436da60.JPGIMG_7629.JPG.bae0009530e73f2b5076bc8f22d018fb.JPGIMG_7633.JPG.ff29635a2ca44f31e49f0e0b4b3a43a0.JPGIMG_7635.JPG.16f36e7041345c07fd5cd9a354ccd828.JPGIMG_7638.JPG.7f49ff6bfb636e1bf821f93da5606802.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Alan R.

Another update.   The telescopic steering shaft was made from square box section tube, welded to the U/J which in turn plugged into the lower sprocket on the trailer.  The inner sliding part was a length of 1/2" square bar filed to a nice sliding fit.  This was drilled and threaded then screwed tightly onto the round rod which formed the other half of the shaft.  A pin through the square bar and rod made sure nothing moved.  A short extra piece was added later to give a bit more bearing surface although probably not needed.

IMG_8538.JPG.4d1f88943f0f77c40e8843013f27321f.JPGIMG_8540.JPG.3e93b7fd447ccc8c54908a472c5d3d2a.JPG

A bit of surface rust showing since it's last use.  The large threaded hole is a left over from it's last life.  The second photo shows it in it's storage position, held in place with the throttle cable.  The trailer is disconnected by removing the throttle lever from the steering yoke,  one screw,  pulling the coupling pin and moving the trailer back which slides the two shaft sections apart.  Coupling all together is just as simple.

The throttle cable had to be extended to approx twice it's length. Think it was originally fitted to a lawn mower. Couldn't find anything suitable on the internet.  The inner was 1mm.  Most others found were 1.25 or 1.5mm.  I could have opened up the cable slot in the carb piston but decided against this as after a bit of hunting found 1mm inner cable was available from China.  A 5 metre length for £1 25 including postage. :)  A 2 metre length of outer sleeve was found in the UK but couldn't find this to match the inner in China. Strange.

After careful measurement the inner was cut to length and a short piece of brass tube soldered on one end.  The carb top, outer sleeve etc was assembled followed by the lever end nipple being soldered in place.  After connecting to the trailer everything was found to operate smoothly and with approx the same amount of movement as the original cable. :woohoo:    This photo shows the new inner and brass tube nipple alongside the old.

IMG_7617.JPG.79152ddcd3e0866ed5a711927f3d6f25.JPG

•  
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

This has to be one of the most fascinating things I’ve ever seen. I’ve spent every free moment today since I found this thread reading it. Your ingenuity, resourcefulness, and craftsmanship is absolutely amazing. 

• Excellent 2

Alan R.
6 minutes ago, KyleLengerich said:

This has to be one of the most fascinating things I’ve ever seen. I’ve spent every free moment today since I found this thread reading it. Your ingenuity, resourcefulness, and craftsmanship is absolutely amazing. 

Thank you. :wub:

BOB ELLISON

Alan you look like Albert Einstein. 

And from the looks of your work I believe you are. I've never done the degree of work you do and I though I was pretty good at figuring out problems. Great work and I enjoyed following along. 

• Excellent 1

Stormin

Good to see it's about finished, Alan. I don't remember seeing all those graphics, Especially the suppliers name. A. Robinson. Thought Robinsons made jams with the Golly on the jar. :hide:

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

LengerichKA88

Absolutely amazing! 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Other than Calvin spending too much time in the tanning booth , every thing looks excellent. You and the D 80 need to make a trip across the pond so we colonists can see your work up close.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
can't spell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alan R.
6 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Alan you look like Albert Einstein. 

And from the looks of your work I believe you are. I've never done the degree of work you do and I though I was pretty good at figuring out problems. Great work and I enjoyed following along. 

Thanks Bob. :)

Alan R.
3 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Other than Calvin spending too much time in the tanning booth , every thing looks excellent. You and the D 80 need to make a trip across the pond so we colonists can see your work up close.

Thanks Jim. :)  Need to scrub Calvin's face and get him a passport before heading over the wet stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Alan R.
4 hours ago, KyleLengerich said:

Absolutely amazing! 

Thanks Kyle. :)

Alan R.
5 hours ago, Stormin said:

Good to see it's about finished, Alan. I don't remember seeing all those graphics, Especially the suppliers name. A. Robinson. Thought Robinsons made jams with the Golly on the jar. :hide:

The Golly's were on the jam jars for years Norm, then as you know the PC ******** stuck their beaks in. :ranting:

Stormin

Carol has a collection of Golly badges.

• Like 1

Alan R.
5 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Carol has a collection of Golly badges.

:handgestures-thumbupright:  Think we had some at one time, but might have been cut outs from the jars. :scratchead: 

dells68

Alan, all I can say is WOW!  This has been an amazing build.  I’ve followed along since the beginning and your level of craftsmanship and attention to detail are second to none!  If you only saw the photos with the tractor by itself, you would swear it was a rare D that Wheel Horse had designed. Do you have any other similar builds of other makes and models?

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Alan R.
6 hours ago, dells68 said:

Alan, all I can say is WOW!  This has been an amazing build.  I’ve followed along since the beginning and your level of craftsmanship and attention to detail are second to none!  If you only saw the photos with the tractor by itself, you would swear it was a rare D that Wheel Horse had designed. Do you have any other similar builds of other makes and models?

Thanks Dells. :)  Yes, I need to get photo's of the tractor only.  Maybe from low level, lying on the ground when the weather warms up.  IF i can get up again afterwards that is. :pray:  Creaking joints don't help.  Sorry, no other similar builds but have restored a Sears / Roper GT16 recently and a BMB President years ago.  Both shown over on MoM.  Stormin Norm has the GT16 now.  The BMB is still about somewhere too.

• Like 1

dclarke

Absolutely amazing, Alan!  A very interesting build to follow. 

Alan R.
12 hours ago, dclarke said:

Absolutely amazing, Alan!  A very interesting build to follow. 

Thank you. :)

rjg854
On 7/29/2018 at 7:25 AM, rjg854 said:

Truly amazing what you are doing,  Alan

I said it once, but its worth repeating! 

Amazing :text-bravo:

• Like 1

Alan R.
33 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

. :text-thankyouyellow:

Stormin
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Just not to often please. It'll go right to his head. :D

• Haha 1

Alan R.
3 hours ago, Stormin said:

Just not to often please. It'll go right to his head. :D

Now Now Norm. Behave. :teasing-poke:

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

Wow!

Tractorhead

Alan, that was a pretty awesome Work at all.

Fully respect to any of your Work and ideas you realize in that Project.

You did a real great job.

honestly a thing you can be proud thereon.👍

But one small detail i'm missing, 

for Doc Emmett Brown, you forgot the white protection suit...😂

The rest is absolutely Scale! 

But you Pic is realy Great! 

• Haha 1