valleyboy

engine parts

valleyboy

Any info on using aftermarket piston/ring set successfully verses using a Kohler set. There is quite a difference in price. Bob

WHX??

I like to stick with the Kohlers versus the made in China ones they may work but I don't like to skimp where it counts.

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_piston_rings.htm but I have seen them a bit cheaper elsewhere.

obone

I was just looking into this again today. Stens is what everyone says to get if you want aftermarket parts. The site @WHX11 says is a good one. I've read a lot of people say to use OEM if you are building a worker, but still others have said aftermarket is fine for that. Look at the eBay reviews. Almost all are positive. Do a search on this site. I say go with aftermarket Stens.

• Like 1

Shynon

I use after market I see no difference except cost, but it's your money.

The Machine pulling a plow for 3 consecutive years and no issues built with aftermarket piston and rings.

IMG_6033.JPG

• Like 7

WHX??

Did you notice differences in how the rings were cut in with the chamfers and L's  and such Tom? I mistakenly ordered the wrong rings (after market) then ordered the correct rings off fleabay and to my surprise they came in a Kohler label package and they were much different. The Kohler rings had expander type thingies for under the oil and wiper rings. At first I was worried about how they would stuff in the bore but no problems.

Searcher60

I used Genuine Kohler a couple months ago on my K 341. If I had to do it again, I would use the aftermarket. I still have  new K 341 .020 and .030 pistons, and a 16 hp .010 rod, all after market. Anybody needs any of it let me know. Aftermarket gaskets appear same as Kohler. "I save tractors" is great to deal with, and gives support.