mikeeyre74

Regulator on 753, which way to face?

mikeeyre74

Just working on my new to me 753 with the big starter/generator on the top. It wasn't charging, but turned out to be a bad ground between the regulator and the generator case. On reassembling it, and tightening the belt, it looks like the three wires and connectors on the back of the regulator are hitting the gas tank. Do I/the PO have this mounted backwards? I can't find an image on it to confirm.. or am I overlooking something else, like this belt is an inch to long or something?

Regulator issue

WHX??

Terms should face the tank I believe. .. they do on all mine anyway  but I don't have a 753.Too long a belt possible. .. is ther adjustment left for a shorter belt? Arcing to the tank from the terms may not be a good idea! :angry-fire:

rmaynard

The terminals should face the tank. There should be a slotted mounting plate on the bottom of the regulator allowing you to move it in the direction of the engine and away from the tank. Also, I have seen a plastic sheet attached to the tank to act as an insulator. I don't know if it was a Wheel Horse afterthought, dealer add-on, or owner applied, but it prevented shorting to the tank in the even of a broken or loosened belt.

This is how my 857 and Commando 8 came equipped.

insul.jpg.6e2c24718c1f38f614f44746f2d83f95.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

rmaynard

That also looks like a John Deere starter/generator. It is possible that the mounting holes for the regulator are in a different place than on the Wheel Horse starter/generator. Also, the v-pulley may be smaller allowing the s/g to sit closer to the tank.

WHX??
14 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

looks like a John Deere starter/generator.

or someone's color blind!:)

pfrederi

What ever works best for your combination of drive belt pulley and adjustment.  It really doesn't make any difference which way the terminals face towards the engine or the tank.  What is important is that they don't touch!! 

• Like 3

WHX??
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

What is important is that they don't touch!!

:text-yeahthat:Short frame with big blocks can get close, they used a different S/G mounting bracket to help.

• Like 1

pfrederi
28 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

:text-yeahthat:Short frame with big blocks can get close, they used a different S/G mounting bracket to help.

I had to put terminals toward the engine on the 1075 I worked on recently.  Could have been the pulley the belt or the mount, who know what was swapped out in the last 50 years.... but she was to close to the gas tank

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

The belt is way out near the end of its slot, so it might just be best to swap that out to tighten it up.  Figured I'd ask tho, because the PO has this thing all jacked up...

pfrederi
22 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

The belt is way out near the end of its slot, so it might just be best to swap that out to tighten it up.  Figured I'd ask tho, because the PO has this thing all jacked up...

A one inch difference in belt size doesn't sound like much but may move you too far the other way...