pen414

Uni-drive drain plug size for replacement

pen414

I have a bunch of firewood to move and want to use the 414-8 for that this summer.  In preparation for the work I went to drain the transaxle and put new fluid in but found that the drawbar has been rubbing on it.

I don't dare remove it until I have a replacement.  I'm guessing it is a standard plug but was hoping someone has the size to be sure I get the right one.

I'm surprised the drawbar moved enough to hit the plug.  The limiting pieces of "tube" don't look worn, but I added a piece of copper pipe to restrict movement so it doesn't happen again.

Hoping that in trying to remove this worn plug it cooperates as I'm pretty certain the oil in the transaxle is original and well due for a change.

Advice is always appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

image.jpg

Edited by pen414

WHX??

Should be 1/4" npt I believe.

Some guys like to jack up the front of the tractor when draining to get the oil out that sits in front of the middle bottom bolt bosses.

• Like 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:At least that's what mine is on a 5091 transmission. I'm fighting it now and can't get it to budge :angry-cussingwhite:

WHX??

Strip that Allen out Bob there's gonna be some :angry-cussing: !:)

• Like 2

Racinbob

There already has been. I was able to get vice grips on it as well as the allen wrench. I had my wife on the vice grips while I handled the allen wrench rapping it with a hammer. It still wouldn't budge. Then I got to wondering if my wife was applying the torque in the right direction. I know her pretty well :silence: I drained the oil out from the top and am soaking the innards with some flush. Just maybe the thin stuff will seep in a bit. I take another shot at it tomorrow and if I don't win I'll just have to drill it out. :angry-banghead:

• Like 1

WHX??

Oh this is on a tranny that has to come apart anyway.... that's not so serious then ...use the hot wrench! if all else fail I'll loan you a 3/8ths tap & drill and send you my drain plug care package! :lol:

• Like 1

pen414

Old plug came out without much incident.  Put PB blaster on it a few times over the last few days which couldn't have hurt.

old oil was well past due being replaced.  Used a brass replacement that sticks down more than the orig but has protection from the draw bar and the plow support bracket so I don't think it will be a problem.

Thanks guys.  Here are a few pics.

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

• Like 3

Racinbob

Good idea. It won't stick down far enough to cause a problem. You probably should flush it before you put in fresh oil. That's pretty grungy. If you already put the new in no problem but I would change it again after some run time. :)

• Like 1

pen414
51 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Good idea. It won't stick down far enough to cause a problem. You probably should flush it before you put in fresh oil. That's pretty grungy. If you already put the new in no problem but I would change it again after some run time. :)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have any diesel around so I just put the new oil in and figure I'll drop that out towards the end of summer and see what it looks like.

Diesel flush the common plan for cleaning it out?

Racinbob

Yes, that's probably the most common. I use Motor Medic motor flush and let it soak some. One quart is enough. :)

• Like 2

pen414
14 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Yes, that's probably the most common. I use Motor Medic motor flush and let it soak some. One quart is enough. :)

Did you get that plug of yours loosened up?  Or did you have to drill it out?

Edited by pen414