jonw440

Help removing pulley from deck spindle

jonw440

I picked up two new spindle bearings from my Toro dealer. I cant get the pulley off the spindle. Is it pressed on? How do they come off. (This is the left outside pulley)

Edited by jonw440

daveoman1966

If the pulley has a 'RIM' around the top of it, then the spindle shaft / pulley uses a WOODRUFF key.  It may take a Power Steering Pulley Remover Tool to get it off.  AutoZone will rent it to you, then give your money back it the tool isn't damaged.  

If the pulley does NOT have a 'RIM' on the top, then you can use a brass drift pin and drive the shaft down thru the pulley.  1st)..back of the bolt 2 or 3 turns. 2nd) place the deck onto a FIRM flat surface...evenly. 3rd) hold the BRASS drift pin atop the shaft and 4th) WHACK that brass drift pin...AGGRESSIVELY.  That should free the pulley to get it off...remove the bolt.

NOTE...don't try to drive the shaft down thru if the shaft/pulley uses a woodruff key....  go to Zutozone.and rent that tool.

In either case, you need first to remove the grease fitting (zerk).  

106072a (1).JPG

109967a (2).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

jonw440

Thanks Dave, No keyway type. Is the zerk fitting "pressed in", because there are no "nut shoulders" on it to put a socket on. Oh its a 38" side discharge deck from 1999. Model 78216.

Edited by jonw440

jonw440

Here are some pics.

Spindle2 (1).jpg

Spindle2 (2).jpg

Another

Spindle3.jpg

I hit the shaft 4 times with a 3lb hammer and a brass punch and nothing. Still didn't move. I just don't want to bend or break anything(especially if I miss with the hammer) :) Would heating up the spindle with a propane torch help?

Uncle Buck

You could use a bar type puller with bolts and nuts fitted and secured to those holes in the pulley. If you choose to do this fit large OD fender washers under the nuts to try and prevent bending the crap out of the center of that pulley. I cannot tell if you have enough clearance on the backside of the pulley to use a bar type puller.

Heat always helps. You are going to be replacing the bearing anyway so yes pour the heat to it and like as not it will jump off of that shaft! LOL  (Maybe not jump but you get the idea)

• Like 1

slammer302

I tap the two holes in the pulleys so I can use a bolt style puller on them its worked good for me.

• Like 1

jonw440

I got it off. I had to put the bolt back into the bottom of the spindle(where the blade bolts on), then saturate the shaft and heat it. Then I grabbed the spindle with channel locks and hit the blade bolt with an impact gun. More PB Blaster and more heat and it came off. Now I have to replace the spindle or try welding up the groove the bearing wore into the spindle. Since its like 90.00 I am going to try and filling it with some weld and machine it down to size.

• Like 1

daveoman1966
11 hours ago, jonw440 said:

Thanks Dave, No keyway type. Is the zerk fitting "pressed in", because there are no "nut shoulders" on it to put a socket on. Oh its a 38" side discharge deck from 1999. Model 78216.

My mistake.... I presumed you were working on a more conventional 42" or 48" mower deck.   In looking at your pics, a more conventional WHEEL PULLER should work, using 1/4 or larger OD bolts and nuts (drill holes out to 3/8 if needed).   Typically, there is not enough room to use a wheel puller as you can't get a nut on the bottom side.  You can though, with different styule spindle.\.

Uncle Buck
18 hours ago, jonw440 said:

I got it off. I had to put the bolt back into the bottom of the spindle(where the blade bolts on), then saturate the shaft and heat it. Then I grabbed the spindle with channel locks and hit the blade bolt with an impact gun. More PB Blaster and more heat and it came off. Now I have to replace the spindle or try welding up the groove the bearing wore into the spindle. Since its like 90.00 I am going to try and filling it with some weld and machine it down to size.

Not having a clue what the part looks like filling the void with weld and turning the part back to OEM diameter in a lathe would produce the best results if this is something that can be chucked in a lathe.

jonw440

I ordered one from partstree. It was 38.60. I dont have a lathe and the drill press chuck isnt big enough.........

cleat

Could not weld it and turn it down for that.

Good deal.

You should be back up and mowing in no time.

Make sure to put never seize on the shaft under the pulley and blade when reassembling it.

Everything will just slide off next time.

Cleat

• Like 1