Vinylguy

BRUSHED CHROME DASH DECAL UPDATE

Vinylguy

I do not remember how long I have been making the Dash decals but have always wanted to make them easier to line up and get a better installation.

The problem spot is the dreaded rib in the center of the dash plate. It is difficult to get the thick decal to stay down in the grooves below and above the rib.

3m makes an adhesive primer called primer 94 available on line in pens or 8 oz. cans like the one pictured below. I bought a pen from a vinyl supplier but the 8 oz. can

is actually less expensive and you can use a small artists brush to lay a thin coat in the grooves of the metal plate before applying your decal.

Make sure you seal the can up immediately after use so it will be ready for your next project.

3m primer 94 can be applied to a painted surface.

This will bond with the adhesive on the back of the decal and will make the decal stay down in the grooves much better and quicker.

I made the decals a little larger than the plates to allow for a razor trim of the edges for a clean edge and easier alignment but it is still difficult to get the decal in place

so the lettering is straight. I have changed the design of the decals contour cut so the bottom of the decal and the left bottom edge can be positioned

exactly with the edge of the dash plate. There will still be a small over hang on the top left, top edge and right side of the dash plate to trim after application and

of course use a new sharp exacto blade (#11) to trim out the ignition, lighter, bolt and choke holes before reinstalling your dash.

Here are a couple pics with more to follow trying to illustrate. I am no writer so pictures may help me better explain my process. 

That is all I have for now but I will post more images of the process soon.

As you can see my dash plate is not super smooth and could use some attention and a paint job but it will work fine for this post

593d970543a09_NEWDASHDECALPICTURE1.png.7fd90607625df616cc51b16d6470b0b7.png

593d9702992e1_NEWDASHDECALPICTURE23MPRIMER94.png.8f43eb69fc41cf89bee768c652c8ae60.png

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 6

squonk

:banana-wrench:593da40670869_dash006.JPG.d44a61fe7d0342f3cd9adfbefa6154c9.JPG

593da4128dee8_dash007.JPG.becf130aec9cc17c6e4a5ab60104cd84.JPG

:banana-jumprope:Thanks Terry for your great products and knowledge! :banana-linedance:

• Like 4

Vinylguy

Applying adhesive primer using the too expensive but convenient tool from image one impact .com

593da6ce0c9a4_primerpen.png.13e8831aa5b3e262aeb53ab67579a6af.png

In this example I chose to use an imperfect piece of wrap vinyl because i am trying not to waste as much vinyl this year. LOL

This will work with the brushed chrome thicker decals also.

Line up the left edge and bottom of the decal with the left edge and bottom of your plate.

593da7d2330b3_ligningupthedecal.png.b74e951184b4c600ebd355aa121c2eca.png

Use a plastic squeegie  to press the graphic into the bottom groove and use your thumb to rub the vinyl down over the rib then squeegie again down into the top groove

and then finish appling the top portion which should lay down nicely using a back and forth motion with only your thumb to prevent scratching the laminate.

The Brushed Chrome decals are thick and imperfections in the plate will not show through as easily as with the wrap vinyl.

But of course the better you prep ypur dash plate the better the install.

593da6e3dca67_applyintogrooveswithsqueegie.png.d131388e88dc5202e4dde37e937ed6b9.png

When finished with the install just turn it over and trim off the excess vinyl.

593da6f612f68_trimoffexcess.png.9ff5144f0cb02f7c8f7ac0d2cdb41f3a.png

Now you of course need to trim out all the holes and your ready to reinstall your dash.

Use care when tightening your dash bolts to prevent twisting the decal. thin rubber or felt washers 

can help here. Just snug and the washers will stop the dash from rattling.

HOPE THIS HELPS

593da6f475466_cutoutholes.png.3aa85d507bdec70b04d7cce6d0ffbd71.png

Time to head to the lake for supper now and a little bass fishing before dark.

Back home in the morning to start working on more fun stuff for the show.

• Like 6

cschannuth

Great info!

67 WH 877

Should we use the 3M primer to place the decal on the shifter plate also?

Vinylguy
8 hours ago, 67 WH 877 said:

Should we use the 3M primer to place the decal on the shifter plate also?

No just for difficult areas where the decal naturally wants to lift. Crevices, curves etc.

67 WH 877
2 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

No just for difficult areas where the decal naturally wants to lift. Crevices, curves etc.

Thanks again!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Gregor
On 6/11/2017 at 3:42 PM, Vinylguy said:

Time to head to the lake for supper now and a little bass fishing before dark.

I live 45 minutes from you. What lake?

Vinylguy
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I live 45 minutes from you. What lake?

Cabin fever campground fish and hunt club.

1 mile north of Victoria 

Gregor

Ahhh Don't belong to that.

BTW  I tried to buy that Impact Adhesive Primer. image one impact . com, does not work. I can't find it.