cschannuth

Cradle mount rubber replacement

cschannuth

Where can I get something solid to replace the rubber mounts on my cradle and how difficult are they to replace?   I've been having difficulties with my C-161 with the twin Briggs in it because the drive belt has been slipping in the higher gears. I've checked everything, installed a new clutch spring, and installed a new OEM belt and it was still slipping especially in high gear up and down hills. I took everything apart one more time to take a closer look at the pulleys to make sure they didn't have any sort of unusual wear and everything looked good. What I did notice was that when I would engage the PTO  or push back on the idler pulley the engine would really move quite a bit along with the cradle. To stop that I wedged a piece of half-inch plywood between the cradle and the angled mounting block and put everything back together.  I took it for test drive and with the engine barely above Idle I popped the clutch a little aggressively and it easily pulled a wheelie even with my wheel weights on the front. In the past when I would pop the clutch in third gear it would slowly engage and finally take off.  

All four of my rubber mounts are in great shape but I really want to replace them with something solid based on the performance I gained from wedging the plywood in there. I did several searches on here and I came up with some on replacing the rubber with more rubber but I couldn't find a whole lot about  any sort of direct replacement made out of some sort of metal. 

Any guidance or information would be very much appreciated. 

SylvanLakeWH

Search from the HOME page for this:

Rubber Engine mounts

Should pop right up with a bunch of posts with answers...

• Like 1

cschannuth
26 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Search from the HOME page for this:

Rubber Engine mounts

Should pop right up with a bunch of posts with answers...

Thanks. 

joel_400

All three holes are in line on them...two 1/4 inch bolts hold the mount to the cradle and one 3/8 bolt holds the assembly down to the cast iron bars mounted to the frame. What I did was got some 1/2 inch plate, marked/d rilled the holes and cut them out to fit. Then tapped the 1/4 inch holes to bolt them to the cradle and bolted it all together. Done deal and never have a problem.

joel

• Like 1

cschannuth
6 minutes ago, joel_400 said:

All three holes are in line on them...two 1/4 inch bolts hold the mount to the cradle and one 3/8 bolt holds the assembly down to the cast iron bars mounted to the frame. What I did was got some 1/2 inch plate, marked/d rilled the holes and cut them out to fit. Then tapped the 1/4 inch holes to bolt them to the cradle and bolted it all together. Done deal and never have a problem.

joel

Joel,

How much disassembly was required to get your set up installed?  Is it possible to leave the engine in place?

Thanks,

Craig

joel_400

If you take the mounts out 2 at a time I suppose you could leave the engine mostly intact. I did this mod to my pulling tractor when I had it all tore down to repaint.

• Like 1