DKR977

RM367 Mower Deck Grease type?

DKR977

I've just bought a RM 367  mower deck and wanted to know what is the proper grease to use?  I have chassis grease but I'm unsure if its the proper type for the gears.

Thanks

RedRanger

I use regular axle bearing grease in mine.  Red stuff I believe.

DKR977

Thank you, RedRanger!

RedRanger
41 minutes ago, DKR977 said:

Thank you, RedRanger!

Not sure how far into the deck you've gotten, but I'd suggest a total disassembly of the deck spindles, clean the dried grease out, install new seals if needed, and then fresh grease.

When I rebuilt my deck, both spindles were packed with dry/hard grease.  They would have burned up in no time.

When pumping in fresh grease, the fresh stuff wasn't getting to the bearings.  You'll be surprised how nasty the inside of the spindles could be.

Seals are cheap.  Think I got them at Napa for like a dollar or two each.

Previous owner had installed rubber o-rings.  lol

Also check the mesh on your drive gears.  If the mesh is too loose, you'll strip the teeth off the gears.

You also want to "over grease" the drive gears on top of the deck.  Pack it in good around the gears under the covers.  Don't run them without grease.

Edited by RedRanger

DKR977

Thanks again for the sage advice RedRanger.  I was hoping to put this deck to immediate use rather than a tear down (I wanted to restore it this winter after the season was done) but in shipping the deck to me I guess the deck got tweaked on one side and the blade hits the side of left side of the deck, so in order to straighten that I guess a complete tear down will be needed.  

I was hopping to pound out the metal a bit to get the blade to clear so I could use it now and worry about the restoration this winter.  I would have of course checked the gears, spindles and repacked with grease anyway but if I can not get the side pushed out so there is clearance then it looks like the teardown will have to be this summer and not this winter.  

Any tricks on metal work on the deck it's self?