rmaynard

Cell Phone Coverage at South Mountain Fairgrounds

rmaynard

Does anyone local to the big show at the South Mountain Fairgrounds know if AT&T has improved their cell phone coverage there? In 2010 & 2011, my AT&T coverage was okay, but since then, I have been unable to get a signal about 90% of the time. There was talk last year of AT&T making some real improvements in the area, but does anyone know if that has happened? I don't want to have to buy another throw-away Verizon phone just for the show again this year. 

• Like 2

857 horse

Bob,,,,is onto a problem at never dawns on me until we are all at the SHOW and cant phone home,,,

I am told,,,,,you can  rent or there can be acess to a small      trailer that is a Mono Pole or "Hot Spot"

They can be set up for Disaster relief,,,,,,If all that makes scence,,,,,could we rent one for 3 days?????

I hope all my typing was not a waste........Howard

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Sprint has the same coverage problem at the show.   I usually sell some parts and at least one tractor at the show, but don't want to be tied down to my spot.  So I leave my cell phone number at my display, so anyone can reach me if they have interest.    But the reception is so hit-and-miss, that I usually miss the calls (as I have learned in the past from people who tried to reach me).   I guess it's just something we have to live with at a great facility otherwise.

Jim

• Like 1

rmaynard

@857 horse I don't know what a portable mono pole would cost, but I'm guessing that the club doesn't have money in the budget for something like that. 

@SPINJIM I am setting up in a building this year to sell a bunch of stuff, and I'm on my own with no help. So the ability to leave a cell phone number is almost essential if I want to do anything other than be with my stuff all the time.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

Mrs. Rules

Hello Bob:

I found the coverage for Sprint was greatly improved last year and was glad to have the ability to quickly tweet pictures from the big show and the tractor parade...  

I hope that you find the same this year with AT&T and/or Verizon!

Linda

• Like 1

rmaynard

Verizon is good, and for the last couple of years I've had to buy a throw-away Verizon phone. For everywhere else in the USA, AT&T is great, just not at the WHCC show.

wallfish

Didn't have any issue with the Sprint coverage last couple of years. Before that, Verizon was the only option which seemed to work..

I used to have access to cell boosters but not any more. This one is about $1100.00.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wilson-pro-70-50-ohm-commercial-signal-booster-kit-465134/

fast88pu

I had no issues with sprint last year

rmaynard

I am resurrecting this thread as the time for the Big Show is rapidly approaching.

I wonder if anything has changed in two years? 

Now that T-Mobile and Sprint have merged, I am wondering if we have any members local to Arendtsville who have T-Mobile and would be willing to go over to the fairgrounds and snoop around checking the signal. Because I use Consumer Cellular (AT&T), they also have T-Mobile sim cards.

I was up there recently with my AT&T phone and you still only get a signal out by the road, but one bar or less in most places inside the gate. Verizon is still good.