1972LEMONS

Belt issues

1972LEMONS

Have a mid 80's 417A, the deck I have is from a mid 80's 3 series.  Lately, I have been have belt issues.  The belt bounces as the PTO is engauged.  I am thinking it is a pulley related problem.  Thanks

953 nut

:WRS:           with the drive belt off, see if the deck is turning freely. May have a problem developing down there. Also, inspect the belt to see it is in good condition.

daveoman1966

Could be several causes: 1) belt tension too loose 2) belt has chunks broken out of it 3) drag in pulley(s) of mule drive 4) MOST LIKELY:  the sliding spring tension bar is stuck and won't slide 5) idler pulley or deck spindle pulleys with drag.....  6)scratchin' head for more causes... 

• Like 1

tunahead72

I get this problem every once in a while with both of my decks, same general era, especially when I've had the deck disconnected for some reason.  Tightening the belt almost always helps, but I suspect Richard and Dave are on the right track with other possibilities.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I, for one, am a strong believer in using only OEM belts.  Many on here will point you to their use of aftermarket from NAPA, TSC, or the like and they have had MOSTLY good experience with them.  However, I have NEVER had an issue with any OEM belt ...hands down, without fail...even if a few bux more..  

• Like 1

Tankman

Try Huskee Kevlar belts. Usually on the shelf at TSC. Inexpensive, never had one fail.

Kevlar belts are green = Oil resistant. :handgestures-thumbupright:

1972LEMONS

Thanks for the input on this.  I have taken a closer look at the spindles, pulleys, etc...   I will be replacing the 2 idler pulleys, 1 spindle pulley and 1 mule gear pulley.  I have an OEM belt and an after market one available.   Looks like I will be using the self-propelled mover again this week until the parts come in.