Sign in to follow this  
Sugarmaker

A-100 project tractor

Sugarmaker

Duff,

I like to tap by Feb 14 or with a week or so of that date. All weather dependent. We Still have a lot of snow to trudge over to hang the tubing.

I have to go throw some more primer on the A-100 rear end and then check the other maple forum. It will be a very busy time for the next six weeks with syrup. I will check in on you guys/ gals when I can. I have to find that camera and take some pictures of the WH.

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

Ok guys I added the pictures in Photobucket of the A-100 project, tractor and you can take a look. Don't expect to much this horse has been rode hard and put away wet many times.

Thanks for all the help and support.

I am going to fill the tires. I pumped them up tonight and sealed the back side on the rim then broke the bead on the stem side and can now fill them easily. I think 6 gallons of antifreeze with a little over 6 gallons of water should do the trick:)

Regards,

Chris

TT

Look like good progress, Chris! :thumbs:

I bet it'll be a good wheelie tractor when it's back together! :whistle:

Don't forget to clean the axles & "hubs" real well and apply anti-seize when assembling. :whistle:

Sugarmaker

TT,

Thanks for the reminder on the axles. I should buy a can of never seize. I have never owned one but have used large portions from other folks. Good Idea.

Hope this is just up and running again Not sure about the wheelies? And Dont giv Mike any ideas.

I got a new toy of sorts today. I got a nice 50 inch SST sink today for the Sugarhouse. I was so excited I wen to the hardware store and got all the plumbing to hook up the faucet and drain too. I traded a new friend for the bucket washer that I had.

Hung tubing for 300 taps today and trudged through knee deep snow along the roads:(

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

I think there is a "LiL-Puller" lurking here some where (Mike) so we need to watch what we say about his A-100 tractor:). He has hopes of pulling it in the Albion fair this fall. Not sure how it would do but I know he would have fun.

Chris

Sugarmaker

Suggestion was made to use windshield washer fluid as tire fill weight. Anyone see any problems with this??

Thanks,

Chris

nylyon

I've heard of that, also RV antifreeze which is non-toxic.

Sugarmaker

Hi,

Mike and I did the tour of the wheel horse shop in North Girard today, And also got the transaxle back in the A-100 and the new tires on. Mike had a good time and only got stuck once:) Here are some pictures. too. We loaded the tires with windshield washer fluid about 85 lb. total seemed to help a lot on the snow. Thanks for the assit!

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

Another question, Mike would like to try to find smaller rims for the front and suggested tri-ribbed tires? Any thoughts on smaller rim size and the best place for tires?

The current front tire size is 16 x 6.5 - 8 they just look out of scale? Too big. Suggestions?

Still thinking of the tractor pulls at the Albion Fair!!

Regards,

Chris

TT

A set of narrow 6" front wheels from a late 60's / early 70's Wheel Horse vertical shaft lawn tractor (Commando or Charger) or even a Sears/Craftsman lawn tractor (or similar machine) with a pair of 3.50 - 6 triple ribs would look perfect on the A-100.

Here's a 1970 Commando 7 I put together for my son a few years ago using those front tires:

4878bc65.jpg

Here's my 1970 R-10 "POS puller" with the same size fronts:

R10luckytucky006.jpg

I suggest looking up Ewell Tucker at his eBay store for a decent deal on tires with tubes.

lil puller

Does anybody have a pair of front 6 inch rims off of a commando or charger that might be willing to sell them? Or if you want, I could trade you my 8 inch rims for them. I'm also looking for some 3.50x6 inch tri-rib tires for the front of my tractor. If you have any of these, I might be interested. I have a 1977 A-100 so if you have the tires and rims I'm looking for, ill give you my tires and rims if you want or I could buy them off of you. My front tires are 16x6.5-8. I am sugar makers grandson.

~Mike~

Sugarmaker

Folks,

Still Looking for a good set of 6 inch rims for mounting some tri ribs on the front of the A-100. If anyone can help let me know.

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

TT,

Looking back over the posts I know where there is a bone yard of old smaller used lawn tractors. I may look around for some rims close by here. I like the look of the tractors with these tri-ribs on, thanks for attaching the pictures. Check out the pictures of the A-100 and Mike in the snow.

I think we found the tri-rib tires on E-Bay

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

Guys,

The A-100 is performing well.

Still looking for some 6 inch rims for the front to maybe put on tri-ribs.

By the way all you folks helped a lot in getting that Wheel horse up and going again!

Happy Easter.

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

Guys and girls,

Using the A-100 to haul bees boxes today. The lug tires and weighted tires really work nice on this light machine!

Nice day playing hooky from work!

Check our web site for pictures of the bees.

www.mapleandhoney.com

Regards,

Chris

T-Mo

worthless.gif

Where's the pictures! :omg:

Sugarmaker

T-Mo,

Ok I like pictures too! And I do really enjoy looking at all the nice WH machines on this site. As far as being a worthless thread, I would disagree with that! I have gotten a lot of VERY positive feed back and help in working on the A-100.

Last time I checked the photobucket pictures were up and link to them worked? Some pictures of the youngest grand baby and family, some A-100 in process and some maple stuff, and if you want more pictures you can visit our web site and check out the pictures of maple and honey events. Sorry not many A-100 pictures yet.

My grandson Mike, the tractor owner, was just grinning from ear to ear this weekend when he talked me into putting a straight pipe on that little Wheel Horse! For a little 10 hp it barks pretty good! It made the work we have done very much worthwhile for me. He also went muddin behind the house and I guess it digs pretty well cause he cut some good ruts!

Getting closer and closer to pulling at the local fair this fall with this tractor. Mike has pulled for the last 4 years and we really have not had a "pulling" tractor. I know this one may not be ideal but if he has fun then its worth it. :omg:

Any tricks out there to minimize belt slip and get the power to the dirt with one of these little guys? Mike would like to pull in the light weight class. I think its 600 lb max for that class? Guessing the tractor with weighted tires might weigh 350??? We have a set of weights we can add to.

I will try to do better on the pictures:)

Also need a replacement lens for the head lights too!

Regards,

Chris

Duff

As far as being a worthless thread, I would disagree with that! I have gotten a lot of VERY positive feed back and help in working on the A-100.

Chris, I'm pretty sure T-Mo was just yankin' yer chain. I doubt he was in any way serious! :drool:

Going off-topic for just a moment, :drool: how did you guys do in the sugaring department this season?

Duff :omg:

T-Mo

Duff is right. I was playing with a new smilie and also having a little fun with you. In no way was I being serious, so please forgive me if you thought I was serious. But, it does help to see some progress pictures. :omg:

Sugarmaker

T_ Mo and Duff,

Pretty sensitive over here in NWPA, we don't see the sun often and these darn new fangled computers are the only toys we have:).

No harm done here. Thanks for jerking the old chain. Somedays you may have to stand in line though.

Duff we made 105 gallons of syrup all grades and had a good ( little below avg) season. My fault because I did not have enough wood.

T- Mo,

I did go out and take several pictures of all my "red toys" plus the white and yellow tractor too, now just need to find the time to load them.

Do you guys prefer putting them on Photobucket or right on the reply?

Hey! we ship maple syrup any where in the world:)

Regards,

Chris

ol550

Looks to me like the steering wheel will move you to the 'modified' class. :omg:

Sugarmaker

ol550,

Yea the steering wheel and the seat were scrounged from my father-in-laws bone yard. They work! At this time that's what counts. It will probably never get to see a "class".

I will try to get to the pictures next week. To late to start to night I will be turkey hunting in the early morn then off to Columbus to see the grandson and family.

Took the A-100 down to look at the bees to night. I use it as my four wheeler since I don't have one:)

Regards,

Chris

Buzz

Do you guys prefer putting them on Photobucket or right on the reply?

It's better to use Photobucket, it saves space on our forum and I think it's beneficial to those who still have dial-up.

Sugarmaker

Ok guys i added a video to photobucket, its the beast a-100 walkin through some mudd :omg:

Sugarmaker

Guys did you see the pictures of the A-100 that the Ohio tractor nut did? very NICE! Our A-100 is a working tractor and may not get the full restoration treatment like OTN's. We have been using it to haul wood, about 8 cords moved with it so far and the lugged tires work really well! The 40+ lb of windshield washer fluid in each one helps too. Have about 5 cord of wood to split and haul yet.

Hope all are doing well this summer with the wheel horses!

The pictures on the photobucket of the couple with the bay is my daughter Stacy and husband David, and their first child Dorsey. Dorsey is a special needs baby and we love him to pieces. That's me; the old man sleeping with him.

Regards,

Chris