Sign in to follow this  
all throttle no bottle

how to make a sand blasting cabinet

all throttle no bottle

just thought you all what to know..i didnt what to spend money on a sand blasting cabinet so i was thinking how to make one. i took a big card boarb box and cut the top off flush than cut 2 holds just big enough to fit my hads ,welding gloves, and the gun of the sand blaster.to cover the top i had old windows lying around so i took the glass out of one and laid it over the top while iam blasting. i have to take off the glass to dump out the sand though. it might sound stupid but it works :thumbs:

1961 surburban

1964 854

1969 raider12 pulling

1969 raider10

1972 commander8

1976 B-80

1978 C-121

Coadster32

Nice econonical idea, and :thumbs: I like your name. I'll gve you three lenghts and.... :whistle:

Duff

Not stupid at all! Up in our neck of the woods they call it "Yankee ingenuity", which is loosely defined as "git 'r' dun as cheap as possible"! :whistle: I personally would call your set-up darned clever! :thumbs:

Duff :whistle:

Rideawaysenior

Excellent idea. Just be sure not to use any material that ends in oxide or anything that has silicone. It will cause severe respratory issues with limited exposures. I have a cabinet from Harbor Freight and even in that only use glass bead or black beauty which works excellent and lasts quite a long time.

all throttle no bottle

thaks for the warm welcome you all. ya that card bord box works good for a few time with black diamond. i could have made 1 from wood but card bord is easy to git to.but that all i neeld to do small parts :thumbs:

Ian928

I have an idea of a cheap sandblasting cabinet. I have not tried this myself, but I will share with you so maybe someone can try!

My plan is to use an old dead freezer, you can get it for free, it is big, has a big lid with a good sealing gasket. All you need to do is cut a hole in the lid and silicone a piece of glass over the hole, and maybe be more ingenious to fit the gloves but my thought is to cut to round holes, silicone in a couple of short pieces of suage pipes so that they create a flange on the inside you can fasten the gloves to.

If you use it as is you need to remove the sand manually of course...

Let me know what you think!

all throttle no bottle

that is a good idea man it would b a big cabinet :thumbs: . i wish i could put pic on here my pc wont let me but i maked a new cabinet out of a plastic tote and glass work good

Rfischer

100_2227.jpg

This is what I did for some bigger pieces (like the hood of a C-175 that I am working on now)

100_2228.jpg

Had an old fan out of a stove top (pays to never throw anything with a motor away!)

I have been using Black diamond from Tractor supply. anyone know what it is? I'm sure it is sand, perhaps from volcano's, as it is black. I have been wearing a full resperator. Someone meantioned Black Beauty, do you think they meant Black diaomond?

Randy

nwpahorseman

i use the same stuff from tsc it seems to work very well and doesnt break down like regular sand :thumbs:

Sarge

They are basically the same thing. It can pit soft metals a bit like aluminum but not as good as Garnet for rust . Either way, use a good mask and never use anything that is silica based. Btw, black beauty is made from coal slag.

Sarge.

CasualObserver
I have been using Black diamond from Tractor supply.

treepatrol

Heres a link to what it is.

http://www.undeerc.org/carrc/BuyersGuide/p...id=111&catid=47

Abrasives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abrasive Technologies Inc.

Address: 499 Cottage Grove Drive

Woodbury, MN 55129

Phone: 800-343-0117

651-436-6071

Fax: 651-436-6744

E-Mail: sales@ati-blackdiamond.com

Web: www.ati-blackdiamond.com

Product Name: Black Diamond

Product Application: Commercial

Recycled Content: Slag

ATI-Black Diamond transforms boiler waste, boiler slag, black slag and black grit into abrasive granules. Black Diamond can be used as a sandblast abrasive, roofing granule, and aggregate. Products are shipped within a five state region.

Source: Abrasive Technologies Inc.

http://www.ati-blackdiamond.com/new/products.htm

handyman

I made a cabinet with a kit from a company in Canfield, Oh. Here is the link:

TP tools

I bought the kit for a foot operated cabinet. It is much nicer to have a foot control versus a trigger. I made mine big enough to get a rear wheel with tire installed through the door. I have used it for probably 15 years now with no problems.