paps03

Mower deck

paps03

I have 2 tractors. A 416 with a 48in deck and a 315 with a 42in deck. I can't seem to get either of them to mow quite right. Both have good or new blades on them. It looks as if they miss about an inch of grass between the blades. Any ideas or help?? I greatly appreciate it. Thanks

pfrederi

Has this always been the case or is it  a new problem?

New blades but are they the correct blades???

What are the model #s of the decks?

paps03

I will have to get the models numbers when I get home. They are the correct blades, i do know that. It has always been an issue with the 42in. The 48in just started. I put brand new blades on the 42 and same thing

Britton Baker

Your blades are probably the wrong length.

paps03

No the blades are right. I do know that for sure. Plus I haven't changed the blades and it just started on the 48in...?

pfrederi

If the blades are correct (WH Blades not after market) then we have to consider trauma to the deck itself.  If the deck shell has been bent it can cause alignment issues.  Also if rust has weakened the deck shell that can also cause the spindles housings to shift a bit.  The 48" probably has a heavy triangular reinforcement panel that the spindles bolt to.  It can trap grass and crud under it between it and the deck shell.  More than one I have seen it has perforated the deck shell or at least weakened it.  Then you hit something and if bends.

May have to remove the deck flip it over and lay a straight edge across the blades to see if something is bent.  Also you can check to see if they over lap a bit and the blade tips are at the same level.

Edited by pfrederi

nylyon

Follow this guide:

I had an issue with my 42" RD deck this year where it wasn't even close to doing a good job.  Using the above guide, I measured the level of the blades and the front blade was severely tilted.  I needed to "bend" the housing to get it back to being proper.  From there, I made the adjustments, and it is now cutting properly.  Be sure that you measure everything indicated, don't assume that because you have had the deck that it's fine (I bought mine brand new and it bent through the years).  

• Like 1

daveoman1966

could be a combination of two things..or more.  1) mower blade speed is too slow.  (2) tractor ground speed is too fast

(3) MAYBE... are the 'baffles' in tact on the bottom side of the deck, or have they rotted / rusted away?  

(4) If these are all but gone, you lose the 'wind tunnel' effect that straightens up the grass for even cut effect.  

(5) the 'wind tunnel '   aka... vacuum will be less effective if blades rpm is too low.

Just some thoughts....

bmsgaffer

Also, are all the blades still tight and the spindle shafts in good condition? If one blade was loose or the spindle shaft was wearing allowing it to move, that could be an issue as well. 

• Like 2

daveoman1966

I'm with bmsgaffer on this too....  a loose MIDDLE blade nut will give you two uncut 'strips'...  I bet he's right on this.  

• Like 1

pfrederi

streak.JPG

doc724

A key peice of diagnostic info that would help is "where is the area that is not cut".  For example, sitting on the tractor and looking down, if the left blade is number 1 and the right blade is number 3; is the streaking between 1 and two or two and three or both?  Root cause can be dependent on the answer you give and also which way you make turns when the streaking occurs.

paps03

OK. I installed Brand New blades on the 48in. It is mowing wonderful, however I also replaced the rear adjustment arm on the rear of the deck as mine broke. I now have alot of slop in the front of the deck, and it does not pick up level when I raise the deck. Do i have the arm installed or adjusted incorrectly? or Is there something else I need to be looking for? As always thanks to all you fellow wheelhorse folks for all of your help. Learn as you go right?