HorseFixer

ONAN RV ENGINE

HorseFixer

Last week the PWR went out and normally I am able to run a heavy 10Ga Cord between my RV and an outside outlet on my House, Shut off the Main and Back Feed all Critical Systems with 110V but the Onan  Generator in my RV wouldn't start. Knowing we were going to use it later I decided to ck it out. I knew the Fuel System mainly (CARB) was full of Varnish cause when I took off the fuel line I could smell it!  So I got on YOUTUBE for some fixes. I found a bunch of guys using Sea Foam Treatments, and were able to fix theirs. I worked on this Onan off and on mainly on for 3 days freezing my Arse Off till I finally found the Fix. These RV Carbs are non rebuild-able and normally either work or don't work and you have to replace them at a cost of around $300.00 Buckaroo's This guy Jeff in the Last Video came up with a Float Bowl and Solenoid Removal Fix that got me back in Business now the Ole Onan Purrs Like A Kitten!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Here are some Sea Foam and Float Bowl Links,

SEA FOAM FIXES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLI359w2RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndyWd-R8Psk&t=37s

FLOAT BOWL FIX THAT FIXED MY PROBLEM

6bg6ga

Lacquer thinner also works for cleaning carbs.

• Like 2

rmaynard

1 hour ago, 6bg6ga said:

Lacquer thinner also works for cleaning carbs.

:text-yeahthat:Just be sure that ALL plastic pieces are removed first. 

• Like 2

6bg6ga
11 hours ago, rmaynard said:

:text-yeahthat:Just be sure that ALL plastic pieces are removed first. 

Well, you got me on that one. I made the assumption that anyone who would know that lacquer thinner would also double for a nice carb cleaner would have enough experience to know to remove the plastics as well as the gaskets since both are harmed with thinner.  Good catch there:rolleyes:

Edited by 6bg6ga
  • Like 2

buckrancher

I have used Lacquer thinner for years to clean all the carbs I've rebuilt

Brian

• Like 3

6bg6ga

If the truth be known I have used a witches brew of 50/50 thinner and gas on a gravity feed to clean carbs. It was diluted enough it cleaned without taking out plastic or gaskets.